"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Sous Chef
I also like to take over paper plates and napkins. Sometimes depending on the situation, plastic silverware so there's an easy clean up for them too. Even a box of trash bags helps with the clean up.

chefkathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Master Chef
All wonderful ideas. When I lived in Florida (near my family) I cooked regularly for my family, and sent even more home with them (at the time my sisters were just starting families and appreciated the leftovers, and my mother was suffering from diverticulitis and intestinal cancer and really appreciated food that I'd make without meat, seeds, nuts, etc). But here I learned to just cook extra in those "big" meals, and give it to singles (for some reason I, at 54 years old, seem to have a lot of widow friends). So I make a little extra and deliver it, and my dearest local friend loves to make soups, and spreads the love around.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Senior Cook
These are all really fantastic suggestions! People often don't take the time to eat properly when their lives are in disarray, and that is exactly the time when they most need to.

Students going through final exams can also use help like this!

ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
Students going through final exams can also use help like this!
You have that right! When I was away from home and going to university my Aunt used to have me over for weekend dinners and she would always send stuff back for me and my two roommates. During exam time the care packages always seemed bigger with a lot of healthy (and non healthy) snack type foods! We really appreciated it.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Wonderful thread Claire...DH and I have several friends we see often, one of them loves to eat out and he loves to come here when I make cioppino and he begs for my fried chicken...I've give his wife the recipe several times, but!!! to him it's not the same. So, when he is not expecting it we show up at their door with the cioppino, salad, bread and even throw away bowls. Or the chicken,,garlic mashed potatoes, a fruit salad with mint and garlic bread..You should see the look on his face..It's priceless..These are dear friends and they do the same for us with home made Chinese that she fixes...She loves to have me come there and show her how to's or she comes here and we make things...We've made large amounts of stews, pot pies, meat loaf, beans, and take them to either someone she knows will love getting them or someone I know..To do this makes both of us happy and as if we are paying back all the nice things others have done for us.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #16
Master Chef
I agree; a lot of ingredients you buy to make a meal don't come in a one meal size. So just cook up the rest of it and give it away. Mom has a single neighbor with emphysema and always packages up food from a big family meal into a one-meal package for her (she's tried to get the lady to just come for the meal, but she won't). I have a couple of friends in their 70s who are unable to cook and several in our little community bring things up to them. One friend loves to make soup, and often brings it to them. Sometimes what I have may go home with their care-givers, and that is fine with me too (I make it plain to those ladies as well that anything I bring up to them is for them and their children as well; anyone who has cared for the ill, infirm, elderly knows that the caregiver needs love too).
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Master Chef
claire, you're a a lovely person.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
I'm new here & loved this thread.Now if there was a way to give recipes for some of the dishes we hadn't heard of.....I usually make 2 pans of baked spaghetti,shredded chicken (for sandwiches),ham & scalloped potato casserole & a chicken/noodle dish....like tuna noodle using chicken.They're ready to use or pass on as needed.
I usually add a bag of salad,ready mashed potatoes & sometimes a sweet from the bakery.Another finger food most ppl like is a bag of cheese slices along with a box of crackers,dip & a bag of cut up veggies .Patcy

justme2 is offline   Reply With Quote