"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Chilean Sea Bass.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post

I would also like to try foie gras. I have heard so much about it from a friend who lived in France. He said it melts in your mouth. It's banned in US so I will have to make a trip to Europe I guess.
If I am not mistaken, it was only banned in Chicago and that ban was overturned this week.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Just like the title of the thread says: What are foods you want to try, but have never gotten the opportunity to do so?

For those who HAVE tried food on other people's lists, please share your opinions on how they taste, how you like them prepared, etc. I'll start my list:

Fugu
North Carolina BBQ
Pierogies
Conch
Stone Crab
Monkfish
Bison
Authentic Belon Oysters
Since moving to VA in 1985, I've fallen in love with NC-style BBQ. I've said before, I'm a vinegar fiend, so I love the tart vinegary sauce and smoky flavor of the meat. Gotta have a toasted bun or the juices saturate it.

I had my first pierogies in PA a couple of weeks ago - excellent. They were stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with caramelized onions.

We used to get conch fritters and stone crabs at a restaurant in the Florida Keys near my mom's house (when she had one there). Love the stuff - they served the fritters with a creamy mustard sauce.

I know there is food out there I haven't had, but I can't think of anything right off-hand. I'll have to hope someone else's response inspires me
Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Omigosh, ironchef! Of all the folks here, I would've thought you had tried monk fish by now.

It's awesome. Buck and I used to vacation on Hatteras Island, NC. Fished for monk fish. Ugly little critter, but yummy. Dense and tasty.

Under the right conditions it tastes like lobster.

As a matter of fact, I think it's billed at the "poor man's lobster."

I've steamed it and served it with drawn garlic butter just like lobster.

There are other ways to prepare it, but we love it lobster-style.

As for what I'd like to try. Truffles. Not the chocolate ones. The ones the piggies look for.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

truffles
anything tartar
anything carpachio style (watching way toooo much IC!)

AND... if I ever get rich enough... a bottle of Crystal Champange. Anyone want to donate to the cause? I'll share it with my bubbly friends! You know who you are!!! (Ahem.... Kitchenelf!)
Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I've had both Bison and pierogies. The Bison is very much like beef, but leaner, and a slightly gamey taste.

Born and raised in the midwest, right on Chicago's doorstep, and pierogies are an institution here. Unfortunately I'm just not a fan. It's def. a peasant-style food, Eastern European in origin, and the pierogies that I've had have been much other Eatsern European food I've had, a little on the heavy side. Normally I don't mind this, but pierogies just don't work for me. They're supposed to be great with sauteed mushrooms.

On my list of things to try:
toro
rabbit
softshell crab
caviar

There's tons of specific dishes I'd love to try, but I don't think we have the space for those here.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
Chilean Sea Bass.
One of my favorite fish. It's texture is comparable to halibut, except it's oilier and has a different flavor. It's best prepared pan seared or steamed. Whole Foods carries it, so check them out if you have a store in your area.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post

On my list of things to try:
toro
rabbit
softshell crab
caviar
All of those are very good. With toro, there are two that you'll see: o-toro and chu-toro. O-toro is the fatty part from around the pelvic fin. This is the most prized and the most expensive. Chu-toro is the fatty part from the end of the o-toro towards the tail. O-toro from bluefin tuna is like the kobe beef of fish. No seasoning needed.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Omigosh, ironchef! Of all the folks here, I would've thought you had tried monk fish by now.
I've seen it on menus at restaurants that I was eating at, but there was always other things that I wanted to try. In Hawaii or on the West Coast, it isn't feasible to bring it in because of the cost, so I've never had the chance to work with it either.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
One of my favorite fish. It's texture is comparable to halibut, except it's oilier and has a different flavor. It's best prepared pan seared or steamed. Whole Foods carries it, so check them out if you have a store in your area.
Thanks for the recommendation.

We have a Whole Foods around here somewhere. Will wait until I have special guests to buy some.