"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

My list would be regional/State offerings...An Egg Cream IN New York, a Deep Dish Pizza IN Chicago, Wild caught Salmon while IN Alaska, etc...Any type/kind of seafood anywhere...Maybe foods from any "China Town" in any of the major cities....

College_Cook....

The wild rabbit has a much darker meat than it's domesticated "cousin" who's meat is almost pure white...due mostly to diet. Both are very low fat, which lends them to excellent braising techniques/sauces/gravies etc. Both can be fried, and are excellent if not over cooked...I've had less success on the BBQ/Grill where the meat will dry out quickly if one is not careful...The wild rabbit can run from somewhat gamey to extremely gamey, depending on the animal...age, sex, diet etc. The domestic meat is very mild, with almost no gamey flavor at all. The lightly floured and fried liver form the domestic animals are awesome with a clean, mild, sweet flavor.

Softshell Crabs....Awesome...great flavor whether fried or broiled...plain or with any accompanying sauces...The legs can be crunchy to a tiny bit chewy at times...the body full of beautiful, sweet crab meat & flavor...They also make an excellent Po-boy....Like many things the fresh, never frozen is a big plus!!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Off the top of my head (I'm on the home desktop, not my laptop, so I don't have my notes handy), here's my list:

Conch
Squirrel (gonna be tough, as my other half, her Mom, and the kids think squirrels are cute/cuddely)
I haven't had rabbit in 12 years, so I'd like to reintroduce myself. Again, that's going to be hard, because of my family......
I'd also like to reintroduce myself to frog's legs. That is going to be hard as well, as my family thinks "ewwww!"
Fresh-from-the-ground truffles. Nothing canned or frozen. I want the full-flavored experience, from freshly-shaved truffles. I'll probably have to travel to southern France / northern Italy for that....
Huitlacoche, in the states it's commonly-known as Corn Smut. I made a post a couple years ago about it. I've got some recipes, but to try it, I'll either have to buy canned product, or travel to Mexico during the season (which ought to be starting soon).
Anything wrapped in banana leaves and steamed (that's a possibility, as Banana leaves are sold in both the Asian and Mexican markets here). I'm thinking either a Yucatecan fish dish, or some tamales.
Flathead catfish. I hear they have the sweetest tasting flesh of any catfish, because they don't eat much carrion, preferring live prey. I'll have to catch some.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I've had conch chowder (sort of like manhattan clam chowder, but spicier) in the Keys, and conch fritters with 2 different side sauces, both spicy, in St Thomas, VI. Loved both. Need more!
Softshell crab, Yum.
Couldn't ever do rabbit. I raised too many as pets as a kid. Their ghosts would haunt me forever!
Caviar, I don't think so. It's a texture thing.

What do I want to try? It's not even 5 am. I can't think of food til at least 10. I'll have to get back to ya.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Allen….

The Flathead…A.K.A. Yellow Cat, Opelousas, Shovelhead, Tabby, Goujon, and maybe others…is an excellent fish! I buy them fairly often from a commercial fisherman on the Mississippi River...They are my favorite “wild” caught Catfish. They do indeed have a “sweeter” taste. Most Catfish begin to get stronger in flavor as they increase in size…Not so with the Flathead…A 30 pound fish is no different than a 5 pounder...the taste and texture remain essentially unchanged. You will need to catch or buy, as I know of no commercial production of the fish.

Squirrel… They do have a slightly gamey flavor, and can run from tender to tough depending on the size/age of the animal. Fried like chicken they are pretty good. My favorite method is…flour, lightly brown, and go in the crock pot with water, onions, garlic, etc…Dry onion soup mix can be good too! When very tender, serve with rice/potatoes, and hot biscuits! A shot of Tabasco/Louisiana Hot sauce is nice also.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I can't believe how many of you never had pierogies. I swear they're a staple in the Cleveland area !!
I'd love to go to Italy and try authentic Italian food.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

I will add to my list...

frogs legs
venison
snake
rabbit
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #27
Master Chef

frog is great; & rabbit stew, delish. venison is yummy in certain forms. we own a bunch of venison. jerky's great; when i was so sick i couldn't eat i ate deer jerky.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Rabbit is often stewed or braised. The flavors it's cooked with can mask the flavor of the rabbit.

I'm having trouble coming up with food items I really want to try. There are many I haven't eaten but none I have on a 'to do' list.

I see goat in Aruban markets and am curious about that. Caribbean lobster tail is another.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Caribbean lobster tail is another.
It is quite good, but nothing like Maine lobster and no where near as good IMO. It is similar to scallops. At least that is the closest description i could come up with. It is definitely worth trying if you have the opportunity. If I had to pick Caribbean or Maine lobsters then I would pick Maine every single time.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
IC - I will walk you through some NC BBQ if you can get a hold of a smoker. It's not hard and the best part is sitting around while it cooks cooling off with a "beverage" You will want to smoke everything! My favorite is our Thanksgiving turkey and beer butt chicken during the summer (aside from the pork butt). I even smoked some bread slices one time - they were wonderful!

I would like to try:

truffles
a properly prepared cassoulet (with rabbit)
a big plate of oysters while sitting at an outdoor cafe in the Sevre et Maine region and drinking Muscadet

This will require some thought - I need more coffee for that.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote