"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean View Post
To be honest, I don't understand how anyone who buys their own groceries would think that restaurants WOULDN'T be raising prices. I just assume that whatever increase I'm seeing at my local grocery store is going to be roughly the increase I'll see at my favourite restaurant.
seems obvious to me, too, but then again, there are a whole host of folks out there who don't make any sense at all..... much less good sense.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I live in a tourist town, so dining out is always expensive, and I very seldom eat fast food. Even so, it's often cheaper for my husband and myself to eat out than to eat at home (depending on the menu). Buying good, unprocessed foods, local produce, sustainable fish, and organic beef and chicken, is costly. I shop mostly at Whole Foods and New Leaf Community Markets (mostly in Santa Cruz, CA, area, but newly opened in Half Moon Bay), and I get sticker shock on a regular basis. I remember when $100 would by lots of food for lots of meals. Pffffft.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
To be honest, I don't understand how anyone who buys their own groceries would think that restaurants WOULDN'T be raising prices. I just assume that whatever increase I'm seeing at my local grocery store is going to be roughly the increase I'll see at my favourite restaurant.
Ah.... but then you have the people like some of the folks I work with... You know, the ones who haven't *seen* a price at any grocery store in at least 6-8 months because that would entail actually shopping for groceries instead of eating out!

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Vera - I ride the tran in the morning with two chefs who are seeing the same things that you are with similar choices to make.

From my standpoint, I identify completely with your statement about people venting on the people that hae nothing to do with the problem. I am in a different business, but, I see exactly the same thing. Over and over.

While probably not a factor in your situation (VeraBlue's) is ther any information about whether gas and food prices are keeping more people out of restaurant? I was hoping for an approximate percentage, I cannot believe tht it is not happening.

AC
Take the jersey shore for instance. Last year the beach would have been packed on an 85 degree day, water @65 degrees. Yesterday, clearly, there was a 25% drop in 'packedness'. I assume it's because of the price of gas. It's the college student age people who are conspicuously absent.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Sure sounds reasonable...but when the customers actually see and feel the increase, somehow, all reasonableness flies right out the window.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
We haven't raised prices yet, but the whole restaurant industry is hurting in general, especially the more upscale establishments since people are really watching their budget.
I'd disagree with that statement. A more upscale restaurant would attract a more financially sound clientelle. It's the places that families go to, college students, working people...those are the ones that will hurt more. Those middle income people have substantially less disposable income than someone who'd frequent a more upscale restaurant.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post
Ah.... but then you have the people like some of the folks I work with... You know, the ones who haven't *seen* a price at any grocery store in at least 6-8 months because that would entail actually shopping for groceries instead of eating out!

Touché

Ever try to explain to one of those people why you had to raise a price?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
seems obvious to me, too, but then again, there are a whole host of folks out there who don't make any sense at all..... much less good sense.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post

THANK YOU!!!!!

You stole my point!

They dont shop for food so instead of grumbling at the grocers shelves and cashier they are grumbling at the main provider of their food, you the food establishment personnel.

Vera, if your clientèle are from the Stock Exchange and they haven't connected what goes on where they work with what happens in the real world .... THAT is truly SCARY.!.!! How do you keep from grabbing them by the throat and pointing out how their the people who helped create the situation?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I'd disagree with that statement. A more upscale restaurant would attract a more financially sound clientelle.

Upscale is relevant.

Spam eating capital is Hawaii? Lots of money in Hawaii but no where near as much as in The City so 'upscale' may have a slightly different meaning.

I mean, I live in CowTown Ohio. The local Upscale is getting by on the Wet T-Shirt Night(s) beer sales.

Quote:
Those middle income people have substantially less disposable income than someone who'd frequent a more upscale restaurant.
I imagine The City has establishments with clientèle who rarely if ever loose money.