Foodservice/Restaurant employees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd disagree with that statement. A more upscale restaurant would attract a more financially sound clientelle. It's the places that families go to, college students, working people...those are the ones that will hurt more. Those middle income people have substantially less disposable income than someone who'd frequent a more upscale restaurant.

You can disagree, but it's a fact, at least where I am. Many upscale restaurants in Honolulu are hurting because ALL clientele are cutting back on spending. It's the the more reasonable restaurants like California Pizza Kitchen or Ruby Tuesdays which are still fairly busy due to their price range.

Last edited:
Upscale is relevant.

Spam eating capital is Hawaii? Lots of money in Hawaii but no where near as much as in The City so 'upscale' may have a slightly different meaning.

I mean, I live in CowTown Ohio. The local Upscale is getting by on the Wet T-Shirt Night(s) beer sales.

I imagine The City has establishments with clientèle who rarely if ever loose money.

By upscale, I am referring to restaurants that average $50 or more per person, not including tax or tip.

You can disagree, but it's a fact, at least where I am. Many upscale restaurants in Honolulu are hurting because ALL clientele are cutting back on spending. It's the the more reasonable restaurants like California Pizza Kitchen or Ruby Tuesdays which are still fairly busy due to their price range.

maybe that is due to Hawaii being more of a vacation/tourist
spot than new york .. ?
if you are spending 2 times what you did last
year just to get there .. maybe dining out is where
people cut back ..

maybe that is due to Hawaii being more of a vacation/tourist
spot than new york .. ?
if you are spending 2 times what you did last
year just to get there .. maybe dining out is where
people cut back ..

Yeah, but I'm referring more towards local guests than non-local guests in my previous posts.

With tourists, the price of travel is definitely a factor. Most, if not all Waikiki hotels are increasing their room rates to make up for the drop in occupancy. The tourists then have to make up the difference somewhere, and usually cutting back on food is near the top of the list.

Last edited:
THANK YOU!!!!!

You stole my point!

They dont shop for food so instead of grumbling at the grocers shelves and cashier they are grumbling at the main provider of their food, you the food establishment personnel.

Vera, if your clientèle are from the Stock Exchange and they haven't connected what goes on where they work with what happens in the real world .... THAT is truly SCARY.!.!! How do you keep from grabbing them by the throat and pointing out how their the people who helped create the situation?

Sure, they connect the two, doesn't mean they want it to effect them:wacko:.

Fair enough. Admittedly, I have no point of reference for Honolulu. Here in the east, a big ticket restaurant isn't sweating yet. Starbucks, on the other hand, just disclosed a huge dropoff in earnings for the last quarter.

I'd disagree with that statement. A more upscale restaurant would attract a more financially sound clientelle. It's the places that families go to, college students, working people...those are the ones that will hurt more. Those middle income people have substantially less disposable income than someone who'd frequent a more upscale restaurant.

Not true in New York, Vera. The neighborhood restaurants, those that the "folks who eat out every day" frequent, are still being frequented, even tho their prices have gone up. It's the high end, celebration restaurants that are seeing a drop in diners.

Hopefully this summer, as the European tourists descend upon the city, that will change, but right now, things are tight at the top.

Well, i have to confess, we are eating out less.

Even eating at home is getting silly priced. I eat very basically mon-fri lunch, only really cooking at weekends now and some of my weekend shops have made my eyes water. My weekday shop used to be under £10 for the week I'm luck if i get it for under £18 now.

DH eats at a subsidised work canteen two meal a day, for evening they give him £25 (appox $48) to have a meal. He has menus from hundreds of restaurants in London to choose someting from and some of what he has I COUD NOT COOK AT HOME FOR £25. I know retaurants get good produce at better prices,but they also have to make money to pay wages etc from what they cook unlike me, but really, I think they deserve medals ATM.

Back
Top Bottom