"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-14-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
Master Chef

For the Newbies: Disasters

I know this subject comes up from time to time, but haven't seen it lately. I think it has to be a favorite for people just learning to cook and entertain. What were your biggest cooking and entertaining disasters and embarassments? How did you recover?

Old 01-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Master Chef

I'll go first with one of my favorites. We were full-timing in an RV and had hit San Diego, where my best friend lives. Our trailer was tiny, but we entertained a lot, believe it or not. She wasn't a big one for red meat, but was up for this: We had a feast of what I call "brontasaurus ribs" (big beef ribs in a Korean bbq marinade). I often fix them on the rare side for us, but for company I cook them through. Even so, a bizarre thing happened. My friend bit into a full vein of blood. It spurted all over everyone. You'd swear that cow was alive. I guess it tells you why we are lifetime friends ... she just wiped the blood away and grabbed another rib. But I'll never forget that rib squirting blood all over her, her husband, and the table.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Master Chef

That might have been enough to make me a vegetarian!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

blaaaaahhhhh, i vaant to eat some reeebs...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
My husbands boss came to have supper with us one night(it used to be a weekly thing until he got a girlfriend ). I don't even remember what we were having except some roasted potatoes. Well, as I was taking the potatoes out of the oven I dropped the pan, it was one of those stonewear things, & it flipped upside down on top of the oven door. Hubby & his boss came running into the kitchen & I was just standing there staring at it. The boss, walked over got a spatula & proceded to put the potatoes back in the pan & he said "hey, the oven door is hot & they didn't hit the floor, we can still eat them." So, we sat down at the table & every bite of those potaotes got eaten.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The worst thing in recent years was trying to convince my very stubborn friend that her 24-lb. turkey WOULD take more than 4 hours to cook (it was also STUFFED) - She said her mother did it and her's would be fine. We cook Thanksgiving EVERY year together - So she stuffs this huge turkey, wraps it a couple times in heavy duty aluminum foil - and 4 hours later takes it out - the little sucker was still RAW!!!!! So back in it goes - she keeps pulling it out (I TOLD her to just leave it but no one EVER listens to me ) At one point when I was testing the leg joint it was still VERY bloody at the bone - she said OH that's fine - you say that the chicken you do can be pink and it's ok - I said BUT IT'S SMOKED!!!! Back in it goes - We were about 3 hours late on dinner and EVERYONE was starving. That was the one and only and LAST time she gets to do the turkey! lol - I always brine it now - but I learned brining in apple juice gives it an awesome flavor!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Many years ago I accidently used Red Pepper instead of Chili Pepper in a batch of Chili. It was to late to fix it. Imagine 6 tablespoons of it.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
Master Chef

When I was a kid Mom let me make oatmeal raisin cookies for the neighbors. I used accidentally grabbed green food coloring instead of vanilla so we had a very odd shade of green oatmeal raisin cookies!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i used to put a little sugar in my marinara, so one time i was making a big pot for a family get-together, and i was in a hurry and tried to just pour a bit in from the bag of sugar. well a whole big lump dropped in and made the sauce sickly sweet. i tried to compensate by adding some more tomatoes, and then some crushed red pepper, but it still was too sweet.
well, i decided to bring it anyway. everyone ate it, but there was an awful lot left over. usually, somene is scraping out the last reaming sauce with some bread.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I tried to flip and egg using the pan. I got bacon grease all over my belly. Ouch :!: Still got scars from that. :x