Freaky Friday! 5/1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO is working late tonight. I don't expect her home 'til 9:00PM or later.

As a result, I'm on my own. I think I'll pan sear a duck breast and make some pilaf to go with it.

I have a veritable smorgasbord of leftovers in the fridge, so that. Italian soup, hot dogs, potato and macaroni salads, roast beast with mushrooms in gravy. And the last of the carton of Ben&Jerry ice cream Himself brought home to me after the first night we had the roast. He really liked it! :LOL:

I'm thinking a stir fry with leftover rotisserie chicken and vegetables.

Fish in a dish with a side of cabbage salad and memories of those extra crispy golden fries that used to be piled high on the other side of the plate! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Grilled filet of beef, grilled ramps, roasted tri-color new potatoes and sauteed morels in a marsala based sauce.:yum:

37240-albums1008-picture6217.jpg

I had to force myself to stop eating. I was miserable last night after eating too much pizza and swore I wasn't going to do that tonight. So, after 2-3 more bites after I told myself to stop and couldn't, I have a nice little lunch/brunch left over.

Craig ended up grilling the ramps since he had the grill going for the steaks instead of us sauteing them.

Looks good, medtran. :yum:

I picked my first two ripe, juicy tomatoes off of my patio container plants this afternoon. :yum: I sliced, salted and ate one immediately, the other one was for a BLT. Marinated cucumbers on the side.

Looks good, medtran. :yum:

I picked my first two ripe, juicy tomatoes off of my patio container plants this afternoon. :yum: I sliced, salted and ate one immediately, the other one was for a BLT. Marinated cucumbers on the side.

I'm jealous that you have home grown tomatoes so early. In this area most people don't set out tomato plants until Memorial Day weekend and then they still have to toss a sheet over them if the night time temperature dips too low! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I used a recipe from here tonight:

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Wasn't sure what topic to put this under, and as the main ingredient is pork sausage, decided to put it here. Mods will change it if I'm incorrect. But anyway, here's the recipe. Note that I use sausage links instead of the usual bulk sausage which is browned and crumbled. By using the links, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds, you get wonderful bite-size pieces of sausage with each bite. And they are small enough to be easily eaten with the biscuit and gravy on each forkfull. I like this texture better, now that I've tried it.

Goodweed's Sausage Gravy

Ingredients:
24 links pork breakfast sausage (sage-flavor)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Milk

Lay out the sausage in parallel rows, with sides touching, on a suitable cutting board. Using a very sharp chef's knife (mine is a 10 incher which made this chore easy), slice the sausage into 1/4 inch pieces. Cook the sliced sausage in two batches, reserving the sausage grease. Combine the cooked sausage in the same pan with the grease, over medium heat, and sprinkle on the flour, and seasonings. Stir until everything is well coated and the flour just begins to brown. Slowly add milk while stirring, until a perfect gravy is formed. By slowly adding the milk, you will be able to achieve the consitancy you desire as the flour, fat, and milk will combine first into a very thick past, and thin out as more liquid is added. Your gravy will be lump free, and full of tasty sausage bites that will please evryone at the table. Serve over halved, rolled biscuits, with some good scrambled eggs. Feeds 5 adults.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Of course as usual, this was wonderful. I served it over biscuits as he instructed with scrambled eggs. For dessert, we had angel food cake topped with strawberry preserves.

Total artery-clogger. Thanks, Chief! Tommorow we'll go back to something healthier, danggit.

Oh, well. :)

I'm jealous that you have home grown tomatoes so early. In this area most people don't set out tomato plants until Memorial Day weekend and then they still have to toss a sheet over them if the night time temperature dips too low! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think I bought them the end of February, they were about 6" tall. Now they're 2 feet tall and loaded with tomatoes! They range from teeny tiny ones, to about tennis ball sized. I love fresh tomatoes, they are such a treat. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom