"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Fresh from the Farm

I'm feeling lucky living in Amish country in PA. Just down the road is a great enclave with a market selling picked that day produce. Right now tomatoes, potatoes, grn beans, squash, onions, lettuces, spinach, chard and kale, not to mention fresh eggs, and butter and cheese. The local jack is fine and the pepper jack the best I've had. PLenty of baked goods too, though the Amish love of sweets is not to my liking as much. Good breads including a simple nutty whole wheat. Oh and pick your own flowers and herbs!

So this is not the only such place in the country. What's near you? Where do you go for fine fresh produce and dairy?

Last night we ate fresh: grilled sandwhiches of pepper jack, tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. Corn, and sauteed squash. Gotta love summer!

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I have a few great local farmer's markets near me. The one thing I can't seem to get is fresh butter.

Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
I feel doubly lucky I live on 8-1/2 acres so we do tomatoes,cucumbers, lettuce,herbs,eggplant,long green Italian sweet peppers, cantaloupe,we have 3 peach trees, 1 apricot, grapes,a grafted peach/nectarine, 1 nectarine,1 tangerine, anything else my favorite market will get anything asked for and carries many many wonderful veggies..Plus we do have farmers market, but the country side is filled with on site produced veggies and fruits, onions,potatoes,garlic,all is sold at little stands on the property..There is nothing so good as picking it and walking into your kitchen and preparing it.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

There are some real nice produce stands within a 40 minute drive from me. There's one held in my town every weekend, but my town is filled with so many yuppies, it's cheaper to go to Whole Foods...lol
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Master Chef
I have a 21-acre farm that we're SLOWLY developing, & one of our aims is towards growing organic produce for the local farmer's markets. I'd also like to get back into chickens, which I used to raise for eggs back in NY.

These days, however, we buy from our local farmer's markets - mostly organic/free-range eggs, free-range poultry, local honey. Veggies & herbs we pretty much grow ourselves.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Senior Cook
I grow my own tomatoes in three types. Types this year are roma, supersonics and husky cherry. Have basil, dill, fennel, mints (spear and pepper), oregano, parsley (flat), tarragon and thyme. Strawberries were great this spring. Blueberries were a light harvest. Seedless table grapes are getting their first clusters this year. Yellow summer squash are mixed into the shrub beds and doing well.

Belong to a local farm co-op you help do the work and get shares of the field crops.
oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Jersey, especially south of Trenton is truly awesome for summer crops of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants etc. It's also nice you live near a whole foods! one of my faves and I have to drive 45 min to get to the closest. Callifornia is unbelieveable...only been there three times: once north twice south but the produce is beyond belief and there is a real taste and texture difference to pick cook serve within minutes!

I wish I had a greener thumb, but count myself lucky to have good neighbors who do!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
When we get ready to do our canning we always go to produce auctions to buy in bulk and reap savings.
gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Master Chef
We have several farmers markets in the area that we go to during the summer, plus what we harvest from our own garden. A stop at the Amish is always in order when we visit the Amana Colonies in Iowa.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Originally Posted by gto View Post
When we get ready to do our canning we always go to produce auctions to buy in bulk and reap savings.
I have not heard of a produce auction ... cool idea, wonder if it's a regional concept?

We are just getting plants in the ground here, as we had a hard freeze not two weeks ago. This rain is going to wash away my t'maters, and I planted several heirloom varieties this year that I'm excited about. I planted Stupice, Mr. Stripey, a German something or other for my daughter the German student, a white cherry variety, a silver fern in a hanging basket ... lots of yellow pear and Mexican Midgets. Oh, and one called Pilgrim. I haven't had good luck with heirlooms in my clay soil, even amending with lots of compost, so I went a bit overboard this year. I do not know what I will do with everything if the rain subsides and I end up with a bumper crop. If you have suggestions on deterring rotten cottontails (as my daughter calls them), I'm all ears.

Can't wait for our farmers markets to start, which I think is this week. Not that they'll have much to sell yet, but some have flowers, herbs, crafts, etc.

AMSeccia is offline   Reply With Quote