"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Yes I heard that too. I had 2 bags of greens, so even though I'am in California I decided to throw it out.

gemgirlco.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
I posted the offical fda release...

Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Verablue - our 12 noon news here just a few moments ago said specifically that only BAGGED fresh spinach is being considered here as the cause. That other forms of spinach are not being included in this outbreak.
Personally and professionally, I plan to err on the side of caution until further notice. Since I get information directly from the CDC and the FDA I plan to wait till the exact location is pinpointed and reported before purchasing or consuming fresh, raw spinach of any kind. As soon as I hear anything along those lines, I'll pass it along.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
This is scary y'all. I'll have to throw mine out that just bought last night.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #25
Master Chef

They just added a 9th state: OHIO
Old 09-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
The FDA and the CDC have issued a consumer warning regarding fresh spinach. There has been an outbreak of EColi from contaminated spinach that includes washed and unwashed spinach, cello bag spinach, baby spinach, head spinach. They are suggesting that baby greens and mesculn also be included in the warning. However, the warning is specifically aimed at all fresh and raw spinach at this time.

The following states have already confirmed cases of EColi poisoning, and there has been one EColi related death to date. (sorry, I don't know which state reported the death). Connecticut, Idaho, Indianna, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Wisconsin.

The FDA is not prepared to confirm that simply cooking the raw spinach will eliminate the contamination. More testing will have to be done first.

Please take it from your resident pathogen police....please discard any raw spinach you may have, regardless of which state you live in. As you can see, it's not limited to any one region of the states.
From the Los Angeles Times this morning:

"For unknown reasons, the infections have been associated so far only with spinach that has been bagged, not unpackaged greens. That raises the possibility that contamination occurred either in fields dedicated to packaged spinach or during processing."

Do you have a link or source regarding fresh spinach, VB?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3

Do you have a link or source regarding fresh spinach, VB?
The spinach in a bag is fresh.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
The spinach in a bag is fresh.
As opposed to canned or frozen, indeed. So I should have said "unpackaged greens."

I was referring to the part of VB's post that said "There has been an outbreak of EColi from contaminated spinach that includes washed and unwashed spinach, cello bag spinach, baby spinach, head spinach."

I read that as saying that ALL fresh spinach, not just the bagged kind, is suspect and was asking for a source for that information, as I had understood the problem to be solely with the bagged spinach.

I hope that's clear now.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #29
Master Chef

Jennyema - of course spinach in a bag is fresh. The difference is that bagged greens - spinach or otherwise - go through a lot more handling/processing than greens that are just picked & bunched.

Again, I'm not saying folks shouldn't be aware & cautious, but I'm not tossing out my bunched spinach. Properly washed & cooked, it will be just fine.

You know, think back to the salmonella & mad cow scares. Everyone was tossing out chicken & ground beef right & left without even bothering to read/research exactly what was going on. Again - for myself, I refuse to jump on the hysteria bandwagon. If people knew exactly how their produce & meats, etc., were handled, even without these disease scares, they'd all starve to death.

Edited to add: My comments pertain to home use only. I fully & completely understand why people involved in food-service industries have no alternative but to toss all their fresh spinach. All they need is one illness - spinach related or not - & their in lawsuit city.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Wasn't there some discussion a while ago about washing your greens in a weak chlorine bleach solution to make them safe?

I believe that would work with spinach and e coli.