"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Fri dinner 4/19/19

Fish for us on this busy Good Friday.

I'll be doing baked Greek Cod with Orzo and Lemon, inspired by my Greek thighs recipe. I think it should work well. Roasted asparagus on the side.

What's on your menu tonight?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Head Chef

Mussels with chorizo and tomatoes, salad on the side. I pulled a small loaf of DO bread out of the freezer and will give it a few minutes in the TO to firm up the crust.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

The plan is Boston Chowda Company clam chowder and shrimp po-boys, but Himself is back in bed, flat on his back. Could end up being just the chowder, then shrimp something tomorrow.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Master Chef

Broiled Rib Eyes, stuffed baked potatoes, peas with tomatoes..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

SO's son is here from Florida for the weekend. She put him to work laying a small area with paving stones in front of the deck stairs/bulkhead. I planned to make pork fried rice and get some egg rolls to add to some hot and sour soup for our dinner tonight.

I started by cooking the rice and putting it in the freezer when he announced he would not be here tonight. I ended up rescuing some meatballs in chipotle butter cream sauce and used the rice I had cooked for the fried rice as a base for the meatballs and sauce.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef

We went out tonight to a new Mexican (Mayan) place. Our new favorite. A bit of a drive, but worth it. They make guacamole tableside to order/made to your specs. We had a corn salsa as well. Their complimentary salsa was good. Craig asked for some spicy. It was HOLY SH....! For me when I tried just a tiny dip of a point of a chip. He liked it though. I had pork belly tacos. He had sour orange marinated pork fajitas that came out sizzling and remained that way for quite a while. Both dishes came with refried black beans and Mexican rice. Best refried black beans I've ever had. We brought home a piece of flan to split. Craig had draft Mexican beer and I had a couple of tequila mojitos. They were fantastic. I usually only have 1 drink when we go out, but I couldn't resist another.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Lunchtime saturday here and tonight i am making mongolian beef, will serve on rice, got the meat marinating now
foodlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our local grocery store had a fantastic sale on bell peppers, so we had stuffed peppers tonight.

I grazed the Internet for some recipes and came up with one of my own.

Browned ground beef, along with onions and garlic, S and P. Added some salsa and cumin. Filled the steamed pepper halves with the meat mixture and baked for a while. Once almost done, I added some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and let finish.

We loved them.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We had some leftover chicken vindaloo from a delivery order of Indian food. It hadn't been as hot as expected the evening we ordered it, and, it had an unpleasant bitter flavour. So, we didn't eat much of it that night. I had some as a snack a day or two ago. It had gotten a lot hotter - appropriately vindaloo hot, but the bitter was still there and possible stronger too.

I figured I would reheat that vindaloo and add some yogourt. So, I reheated the chicken vindaloo and added the yogourt, I served it with sautéed chard and brown basmati rice. It was pretty good. Then my Stirling, my DH, mixed some of the chards with some of the vindaloo and rice. He said that worked well. I tried it. Oh yeah, that worked really well. One of those combos where the result is greater than the sum of the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190419_191516.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	34474  
Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Today was National Garlic Day, which made me think about a favorite dish, with 24 cloves of garlic in it...and I made it!

It's a Thai recipe, and it's very hot, as well as garlicky. The original recipe used spaghetti, but I usually use spiral, or shells, to trap the bits and pieces better.
Finished drunken noodle dish. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll post the recipe on another thread.

Tags
dinner