Friday 12/16/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...(Sorry. Links in the app still don't work for me, so the title is all I see lol)
I've been having trouble viewing links through DC if I'm using my tablet or phone. No problems with a laptop, though.

I took a chunk of ham out of the freezer, and have a bag of dried pinto beans, so thinking ham and bean soup. Quick soak method for the beans.
Great minds and all that - except I sorted the beans last night and had them soaking. I did plan on Mom's ham/bean/bacon soup yesterday. And our son is very happy I did. I'll be taking a quart of it to him for a "Christmas gift". :LOL: Loverly, too.

Attachments

• 2016-12-16 20.50.56.jpg
    2016-12-16 20.50.56.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 138
I've been having trouble viewing links through DC if I'm using my tablet or phone. No problems with a laptop, though.

Great minds and all that - except I sorted the beans last night and had them soaking. I did plan on Mom's ham/bean/bacon soup yesterday. And our son is very happy I did. I'll be taking a quart of it to him for a "Christmas gift". :LOL: Loverly, too.

Your mom's recipe sounds loverly!

I'm looking in my fridge thinking where am I going to put my leftovers? There's no room. Then it struck me! Baby, it's cold outside! The big pot will fit just fine on one of the little tables outside the front door. As long as the raccoons don't care for bean soup...

Mmm, Recipe Details! Sounds delicious! ;)

(Sorry. Links in the app still don't work for me, so the title is all I see lol)
This recipe is from LCBO Food and Drink. The link is:

Recipe Details

If you can't see it, it is Chicken and Squash Tagine. Mom loved it. She gobbled hers down in 10 minutes flat. That is a record. She normally takes an hour to eat. I didn't even have to load her fork or spoon. I was in a bit of a shocked state watching her go to town on that meal.

I served it with a side of basmati rice. If I had my druthers, I would have added the seasoning to the rice when it was cooking. I toasted the cumin, added fennel seed and some coriander. Then I ground the toasted spices together with the rest. I was tempted to use freshly-grated ginger, but didn't. My Dad didn't even complain that it was too spicy. Could've knocked me over with a feather. I did remove the skin and bone before I served it (he hates chicken on the bone or with skin...go figure). But, there is enough leftover for tomorrow night, so that will be a rewind of tonight's supper.

DW made chicken fajitas and guacamole. Tostitos scoops for the guac.

Mmmm....I LOVE fajitas and haven't had them in a few months. Thanks for the reminder, bucky! I think I have everything on hand.

(Btw, bucky.....every time I read one of your posts, I'm all up in a Pink Floyd earworm...and that is a good thing! One of my fave bands evah. :))

Last edited:
Your bean and ham soup looks wonderful, CG....thanks so much for re-posting the recipe! Definitely on the menu soon, now that it's getting cold and soup weather. YUM

Mexican Hash! I'm still working through the freezer. Defrosted some cooked chicken breasts and homemade tomato-jalapeño salsa. I'll combine those with sautéed garlic, bell peppers and red onion, and diced leftover roasted fingerling potatoes, seasoned with Penzeys Southwest Seasoning. Then I'll top it all with shredded cheddar, pickled red onions and sour cream and see what happens :)

It turned out pretty good! I remembered that I had cilantro in the fridge, so I added that, too :yum:

Attachments

• 1481950150399.jpg
    1481950150399.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 151
Bucky, thank Mrs. Bucky for her inspiration! I hadn't made chicken fajitas in ages and it was deeeeeelicious with an abundance of tri colored peppers and white onion with fresh lime. :zorro:Ole'

Will do.

Mmmm....I LOVE fajitas and haven't had them in a few months. Thanks for the reminder, bucky! I think I have everything on hand.

(Btw, bucky.....every time I read one of your posts, I'm all up in a Pink Floyd earworm...and that is a good thing! One of my fave bands evah. :))

I was just about to change it. :ermm:

When I first started posting, I used to change my sig line to some lyric that I liked from a song that I listened to that day. You'd be surprised how many times someone has mentioned it. There is a special simpatico in music and lyrics.

OK, so for you, Cheryl, I'll keep it Floyd. :)

Will do.

I was just about to change it. :ermm:

When I first started posting, I used to change my sig line to some lyric that I liked from a song that I listened to that day. You'd be surprised how many times someone has mentioned it. There is a special simpatico in music and lyrics.

OK, so for you, Cheryl, I'll keep it Floyd. :)
:) Yes, there is!
I might even be inspired to change my sig line now and then.....

Your mom's recipe sounds loverly!

I'm looking in my fridge thinking where am I going to put my leftovers? There's no room. Then it struck me! Baby, it's cold outside! The big pot will fit just fine on one of the little tables outside the front door. As long as the raccoons don't care for bean soup...
Thanks, Dawg. We think it's delicious but then, again, it is from my Mom. :heart:

We have two "walk-out" coolers, the sun room (only add-on electric heat there, so we use it only on very sunny days in the winter because the first month we ran the heat the electric bill was $100 higher :ohmy: ) and the attached garage. I currently have almost 6 quarts of very-veggie chicken soup sitting out in the sun room. Tomorrow or Sunday's dinner.

This recipe is from LCBO Food and Drink. The link is:

Recipe Details

If.

That does look good. Does the kale cook down really soft or does it still have that crinkly (for lack of a better word) texture? That would be the thing I'd be hesitant about as neither of us are fond of that and I'd have to sub some other kind of green.

The only thing I didn't like doing was peeling the squash. The kale is crispy. I only put kale on mine. My Dad won't eat kale and my Mom can't because of medication she is on. I always use cumin seeds that I dry roast and then grind. I added fennel seed and coriander when I dry roasted the cumin because I like those three together and to add another level of flavour is why I added the fennel.

Thanks. We do keep ground cumin, but Craig always roasts the seeds, lets them cool, then grinds and jars in small amounts. Same with coriander. We have fennel seeds too but roast and grind them as needed since we don't use them very often.

I wish DH would eat carrots as a side; I would love to make something like orange curried carrots :yum: But he will only eat them if they're cut small and mixed in with something else.

A friend recently gifted me the book, "The Flavor Bible". For the carrots I consulted this book and added some spices I wouldn't have other wise. Along with the orange juice and butter I added cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and some red chile. Next time I will replace the brown sugar with maple syrup. Fortunately DH and I love carrots. He mainly eats them raw from his lunch box.

Thanks. We do keep ground cumin, but Craig always roasts the seeds, lets them cool, then grinds and jars in small amounts. Same with coriander. We have fennel seeds too but roast and grind them as needed since we don't use them very often.
I roast and grind as needed. FWIW, the LCBO Food & Drink magazine is probably one of the better magazines for recipes. The best part is that for those living in Ontario, is that it is FREE and published 6x/year. The other great thing is that the recipes are published electronically about 6 weeks after the magazine is available at the liquor store. I have made many, many recipes from Food & Drink over the years (I have copies of all of the issues since it was first introduced in 1998). I have yet to be disappointed--I haven't hit one recipe yet that hasn't worked. I also find the recipes to be a great source of inspiration when I don't quite have the ingredients listed in the recipe. It is a link every foodie should bookmark, IMO.

A friend recently gifted me the book, "The Flavor Bible". For the carrots I consulted this book and added some spices I wouldn't have other wise. Along with the orange juice and butter I added cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and some red chile. Next time I will replace the brown sugar with maple syrup. Fortunately DH and I love carrots. He mainly eats them raw from his lunch box.
Love it. Unfortunately, my copy is packed and in storage in Ontario.

FWIW, medtran49 and Craig, I ended up with leftover squash-fennel-onion. I decided to repurpose that as a squash soup to which I added roasted carrot, celery, apple, and 1/2 pear. I also added a bit of maple syrup to cut a bit of the tartness--I pureed everything including the lemon slices. I added a bit of chicken stock, but not much. When I decided I needed a bowl for lunch, I added buttermilk to thin it a bit more, and nuked it, then I added a dollop of Norwegian sour cream, some of the chopped fennel fronds and some red pepper flakes on top. I know I will be roasting off squash, apple, carrot, celery, pear, onion, and fennel with the same spice combo to make a squash soup again before the winter is over. Thiis could be a vegetarian dish by tossing tofu or tempeh in the seasonings, frying those and then adding it to the roasted veggies. Oh, and veggie stock instead of chicken stock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom