Friday, 12-23, what's on your plate this Christmas Eve Eve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got a little frittata going, with ham, cheese, and green onions.

Nothin' fancy - roast chicken with pan sauce and some veggie type things.

img_1493261_0_c42108da6b0c28469e5cda551a82969b.jpg

I'm just having a cold chicken sandwich (actually 3) on small slices of a baguette I bought, baby spinach, crumbled blue cheese and mayo. I didn't realize how long a container of spinach keeps as opposed to lettuce.

Went out to the local bar for pizza and wings...I figured there would be people out considering it is Friday night and the holiday season...it was pretty dead...just a bunch of old people.....I was one of them.....:LOL:

I smoked some chicken wings on the stove top smoker. I used hickory chips. Smoked them till tender and fully cooked then into oven on convection roast for 10 minutes to color. I dipped mine in blue cheese dressing and BBQ sauce.

Leftovers here, too. I had a couple extra uncooked pieces of pork from when I made stir-fry the other night, so I sprinkled them with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and pan-fried them. Served with reheated mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. DH had a smaller portion because he had a bowl of leftover chicken stew first.

Last of the kielbasa and kraut, Himself had the last two pierogi with caramelized onions, and fried noodles with the last of the carton on cottage cheese. I can't believe we have no leftovers! I hope I don't over-cook these next two days...

Went out to the local bar for pizza and wings...I figured there would be people out considering it is Friday night and the holiday season...it was pretty dead...just a bunch of old people.....I was one of them.....:LOL:
Meanwhile, every single restaurant parking lot I passed as I ran errands today was packed full. Maybe you should have crossed the border - you could have made a lot of new friends!

And you aren't old. ;)

Wonton soup - wontons were part of my Christmas gift from my BFF. She is my BFF because she always gives me wontons! :)

Meanwhile, every single restaurant parking lot I passed as I ran errands today was packed full. Maybe you should have crossed the border - you could have made a lot of new friends!

And you aren't old. ;)
The bar scene is much more vibrant in the US. At least from what I have seen from my visits South of the border. Things have changed over the years....I remember there being more of a sense of community at the locals. People don't congregate as much. Maybe due to inflation, social media?

I was actually one of the younger people there...:LOL:

The bar scene is much more vibrant in the US. At least from what I have seen from my visits South of the border. Things have changed over the years....I remember there being more of a sense of community at the locals. People don't congregate as much. Maybe due to inflation, social media?

I was actually one of the younger people there...:LOL:

During my days of waitressing, I always worked in local bars. Within walking distance from my home. I love holiday times. They tips were great.

It became a ritual for regulars. Each one had their own time for arrival and which stool was theirs. Then there were the booth sitters. Four friends taking turns ordering rounds.

But the best part was that those regulars are your neighbors. When any of them had too much, you called their spouse to come and get them. There was three hole in the wall bars. I would rotate between them on different nights. Now they are tearing down that whole block building.

During WWII there was a couple of shipyards here in Eastie. Damaged ships came for repairs. That meant "sailors". They needed a place to drink and wanted some entertainment at the same time. Barrooms popped up everywhere. Some lasted until the late sixties. Others closed at the end of the war. Some of the sailors married local girls.

I remember Friday afternoons and into early evenings were always busy times for the locals...The older crowd is thinning out and I don't see the younger generation continuing the tradition. More socializing is done over the internet, I suppose...

Leftover beef with broccoli. And I taste tested many cheese curds. I made my first batch, 4 lbs of cheese curds! Easier than mozzarella.
wcheesecurds4.6oz.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom