Friday 3/10/17 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a batch of no kneed bread dough waiting to be baked.

So dinner will be either bacon, eggs, (home fries maybe) and toasted fresh bread or BLT's. I'll decide later.

What's your plan?

We ended up getting takeout. I got buccatini alla carbonara that would have been really good if it had pancetta as advertised instead of smoked bacon. Craig got an appy of meatballs that were really good. For his dinner, he got beef filled ravioli with meat sauce that was okay, except he said the dough was a bit tough. I told him though I think they cook their pasta pretty al dente because that's how mu buccatini was cooked. We have 2 amaretto tiramisus for later.

I've gotten tired of my own cooking and resulting leftovers, so tonight it's thin crust pizza delivery.

Thin crust minimalist pizza. Just a bit of tomato sauce and mozz.

Not especially hungry, as we went out to lunch today at a restaurant/bar for a BOGO lunch special. I had a trendy burger, which is a borderline meatball with slippery stuff top and bottom on a too small bun so that you have to dislocate your jaw to eat it and then it wants to shoot out the side. Tasty, but not exactly easy to eat. Additional napkins are required.

Still trying to be creative and use up what I have in the freezer and fridge. I grilled a few chicken thighs this afternoon and threw some asparagus on the grill while I was at it. I lightly seasoned the chicky thighs so that I can re-purpose the leftovers for wraps for the next day or two, and the leftover asparagus will be chopped up to toss in scrambled eggs the next couple of mornings. :chef:

I'm trying to make room in the freezer and veggie bins for the sales on corned beef and sides. Yum.

:yum: Note to self: add rye bread, swiss cheese, and sauerkraut to grocery list.

Last edited:
Hub and DD decided to get takeout for lunch - NY strip steak (to die for!), fries, salad and mushrooms on the side. So I got lunch (which was actually my breakfast because I didn't feel like eating when I got up) and dinner out of mine. I will eat my salad (with small amount of sliced steak added to it) as a snack later. Hub will have leftover chili for dinner. And DD's will pick something up when they get off work.

Last edited:
warmed up some cooked cabbage with meat/tomato sauce on top with some parmesan cheese over that.
Made a chicken and pulled the meat off the bone. Made a mushroom cream sauce to have with the chicken, macaroni and peas. Leftover chicken for chicken salad sandwiches.

Homemade fast food tonight. Chicken sandwich and a side of double-fried French fries. That two-step frying makes them nice and crispy.

CD

I was in the fall-back mode again. Went to Fargo yesterday (Thursday) to get a Hoyer lift for my Mom (YEA!) and was so tired. Walleye, french green beans with mushrooms, and wild-rice pilaf. Mom earned another gold star for a clean plate. Also cleaned her plate at breakfast and lunch.

CW, it sounds like your cooking is the best love your Mom could have!

...I'm making Beef Stroganoff, and a TBD veggie and salad.
What veggie did you go with? I find I almost always make broccoli when I make Stroganoff.

I baked some cod pieces with buttered breadcrumbs seasoned with Spice House Florida Seasoned Pepper, fried up some wide Amish noodles and tossed in cottage cheese, and quick-cooked asparagus half-spears. I cut the spears in half so that I can toss the bottoms in to cook first, then add the tips when the bottom pieces are just thinking about getting a bit tender. Everything is cooked just right. Oh, yeah, we had salad before the dinner was plated.

Attachments

• 2017-03-10 22.12.04.jpg
    2017-03-10 22.12.04.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 126
CW, it sounds like your cooking is the best love your Mom could have!
And Mom ate all her walleye and I had to share some of mine because she wanted more. Another clean-plate award day--breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I got here at the end of May in 2016, she fussed and fumed re: eating,now she cleans her plate.

I am smoking pastrami for my Dad tomorrow. And, my cousin/my godfather Mom's godson is bringing more walleye for Mom's b'day on the 16th. That is if he catches more this weekend.

I try. They are eating real food. Having my parents at home instead of in care is hard, but it sure makes a difference. Mom and I have been watching Homeland, Fargo (the series), and we watched the Paddington Bear movie (I gave my brother a Paddington Bear--he never had a Teddy--brought that back from Vancouver for him). We also watched Tin-Tin. The problem is, if I watch T.V. with her, I can't get her to bed until 11:30 p.m. and I can barely stay awake! She wants to be a night owl.

Last edited:
And Mom ate all her walleye and I had to share some of mine because she wanted more. Another clean-plate award day--breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I got here at the end of May in 2016, she fussed and fumed re: eating,now she cleans her plate.

I am smoking pastrami for my Dad tomorrow. And, my cousin/my godfather Mom's godson is bringing more walleye for Mom's b'day on the 16th. That is if he catches more this weekend.

I try. They are eating real food. Having my parents at home instead of in care is hard, but it sure makes a difference. Mom and I have been watching Homeland, Fargo (the series), and we watched the Paddington Bear movie (I gave my brother a Paddington Bear--he never had a Teddy--brought that back from Vancouver for him). We also watched Tin-Tin. The problem is, if I watch T.V. with her, I can't get her to bed until 11:30 p.m. and I can barely stay awake! She wants to be a night owl.

Not about dinner.. I want to comment on that in bold....
I kept both my mom and my first wife home as they fought and eventually lost their fight with cancer... I commend you on keeping your parents with you... You will feel them with you, long after their passing... :)

Not about dinner.. I want to comment on that in bold....
I kept both my mom and my first wife home as they fought and eventually lost their fight with cancer... I commend you on keeping your parents with you... You will feel them with you, long after their passing... :)
Yup. It sure as heck isn't about the $$. I will inherit a lot of money, if I don't spend it first taking care of them (doing my best to spend as much as I can to care for them). I just love, love, love that I am able to be here for them. Love that both my parents are still alive and in my life. So many of my friends lost their parents long ago. My parents were there for me, now it is my turn. Love them to the moon and back, even when they try my patience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom