Friday dinner..3/2/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Held off dinner planning, as I wasn't sure if we would have power. We lost it for 45 minutes this afternoon, and I was really surprised it was restored that quickly. They don't get up in bucket trucks in 50 mph winds. Winds dropped quicker than forecast. The tide, however, was really high. Water was up to an inch or two of the roadway leading to home.

Mussels and chorizo in a cream sauce, fresh baked dutch oven bread to soak up the sauce. So, so good. I made the dough for the bread a week ago, and it really develops flavor while in the fridge.

Homemade fluffy sammie rolls, crab and shrimp salad, and tater tot crowns.

Attachments

• 2018-03-02 18.11.50.jpg
    2018-03-02 18.11.50.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 191
The last of the navy bean and ham soup, a corn muffin and a sliced apple on the side.

Friend came over for Stir Fry - Chicken in Oyster Sauce with Red Peppers, Mushrooms, Broccoli Stems and Bean Sprouts... mehh... I'm sure I've made this Oyster sauce before but this time it seemed too sweet to me. Friend loved it tho - but I figured she was just super hungry! :LOL:

Also had some Crispy Shrimp for starters with a Spicy Sauce for dipping.
Man - I really failed tonight! They were perfectly cooked but lacked seasoning... sigh... if it hadn't been for the Spicy Sauce, would have been totally bland.

Her dessert was a big success! She made brownies from those new packages that just makes servings for two. Think it is Robin Hood? "Just Enough"?? Doesn't matter, they were great!

I have eaten all week out of town, on the customer's dime. All restaurant food. Good food, but high calorie, fat and sodium. I've had Whataburgers for lunch three times. I love them, but three times in one week is a bit much. Dinners have been mostly steaks and TexMex.

Soooo, tonight, I am home, and just snacking on low-sodium crackers, cheese and fruits. I'll cook something tomorrow.

The only reason I got away with all that fattening food is because I've been working ridiculously long days, and doing a lot of physical work.

CD

We had soup and sandwiches on this cold, blustery night. I tried a new recipe from Damned Delicious for the soup, a Cauliflower Chowder. Since the recipe calls for chicken soup, and we do meatless for Fridays during lent, I subbed out veggie broth for the chicken stock. It was good enough, but I think it will be better with chicken. Topped with grated sharp cheddar cheese, too, instead of the bacon. It will definitely be better with bacon! :LOL: Himself had no complaint...he had two bowls full of soup. I made "grilled" cheese sandwiches with tomato, too. I had baked two loaves of Sally Lunn bread instead of one bundt loaf, figuring I could freeze a loaf. Hah! We went through more than half a loaf tonight. :pig:

Attachments

• 20180302_214329 (1).jpg
    20180302_214329 (1).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 126
My daughter made a really delicious meatloaf.. No idea what she did differently but, I inhaled it along with a green salad and rice..

Ross

We don't do Lent, so when DH came home from the grocery store with two big beautiful ribeyes, I said, that's what we're having for dinner. Pan-seared and served with a green salad and baked potato.

I brought home some fish for sashimi which my boy sliced and made a platter for an appy to share.

Then DW just made linguini and I made a quick Arabiata sauce for dinner.

The sashimi: (eel, salmon, tuna)

Attachments

• 0302181847_HDR.jpg
    0302181847_HDR.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 162
I bought a bag of frozen cod pieces and oil and hope to make some decent fish and chips tomorrow or the next day. I say that because I bought fresh coleslaw from the deli and it'll only stay fresh for a day or two. I must have coleslaw with fish and chips.

Malt vinegar too.

Root beer maybe.

Last edited:
Ate at a new (to me) restaurant last night. It was voted one of the top 10 restaurants in the Twin Cities by OpenTable. I swear the OpenTable crowd doesn't get out much, because I've had way better. There was nothing really outstanding on the menu. I had sort of a "surf and turf" kind of thing with a beef filet and scallops over a bed of mashed potatoes (which I don't eat and had asked them to skip). It was plated very pretty, but really just okay.

U98qV0f.jpg

A big city sure has some perks. I really wish we had access to high end restaurants but we just don't. That meal looks so lovely and special I'm really jealous.

A big city sure has some perks. I really wish we had access to high end restaurants but we just don't. That meal looks so lovely and special I'm really jealous.

You have no reason to be jealous over this meal. Honestly, for a $40-tenderloin it was disappointing - lots of connective tissue and gristle, which you don't normally expect from a nicer restaurant. The scallops looked great and were seared perfectly on the outside, but were literally raw in the middle.

I guarantee you probably make a much better steak at home on your new grill. :chef:

You have no reason to be jealous over this meal. Honestly, for a $40-tenderloin it was disappointing - lots of connective tissue and gristle, which you don't normally expect from a nicer restaurant. The scallops looked great and were seared perfectly on the outside, but were literally raw in the middle.

I guarantee you probably make a much better steak at home on your new grill. :chef:

How disappointing Steve!! Pretty doesn't always mean excellent does it.
Did you speak with the management? I'm positive I would have, but maybe you're nicer than me. :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom