Thursday Dinner - 3/22/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see there's more than one way to extend the weekend. Good idea.

I have all the veggies and cooked chicken put together to make a chix pot pie later. With a pastry pie crust top. I always make biscuit toppers, so this will pretty much be a first. No bottom crust though.

Sacrificed the other pie crust in favor of banana cream pie. It's pie day all over again.

Phew, I just yelled "it's Friday again already???" Being Thursday after all, it means one more square saved on the remaining roll of the TP of life.

Havn't thought about dinner yet, so I'll be back.

Last edited:
I see there's more than one way to extend the weekend. Good idea.
Being retired, I don't look forward to weekends, because that's when things are more crowded. I think it's a little closer to the line in the movie about Crocodile Dundee: "He doesn't know what day it is.....and doesn't really care". :)

Last edited:
Being retired, I don't look forward to weekends, because that's when things are more crowded. I think it's a little closer to the line in the movie about Crocodile Dundee: "He doesn't know what day it is.....and doesn't really care". :)

Exactly. When you're retired, one day is the same as the other. Yesterday, I was convinced all day that it was Sunday. The only real difference was that I was anticipating the wrong TV schedule.

Exactly. When you're retired, one day is the same as the other. Yesterday, I was convinced all day that it was Sunday. The only real difference was that I was anticipating the wrong TV schedule.
Exactly! We don't go to church, we are not against church, we are just against people guilting people into going to church. We are both actually very strong Christians. So when Sunday comes along, we usually warn each other, well, you missed church again, that is just like you. You didn't get up early enough for church, did you sleep through church again? You slept in, Ah, well whatever it takes to miss church.:LOL::LOL:

On our walking trail today, we were talking with another couple, and they said they loved the quiet, and we agreed. There is one thing we don't like about our walking trail on the week-ends, so many people, it feels like an invasion!

Trying a Rachel Ray recipe that was in a recent magazine: Pierogi en Brodo. Basically chicken broth with canned tomatoes, chopped savoy cabbage, mini-pierogis, and seasonings. I'm making ours less healthy by slipping in some discs of smoked kielbasa. :yum:

Wait, what? It's NOT Friday? :LOL:
DH and I are also retired and we stay
at home most weekends to avoid the crowds.
Where we've moved to, folks from the Big City Bright Lights
and extreme heat, escape and come to the Mountains.
My one exception is Sunday... when everybody is
at Church (I've never seen so many Churches in such a small place),
I do the bulk for my grocery shopping.
You could shoot a cannon off in the supermarket
and not hit a soul!

But I digress, yet again :LOL:

Thursday Dinner

Chicken in the Huli Huli style (no rotisserie, just soaked all day in the sauce and then on to a very hot grill :yum:)
with sides of steamed White rice, Baby Bok Choy,
and my quick Cucumber Kim Chee (and ssshhhhh don't tell the
diet police, but I still have a little of my Hawaiian-Style
Macaroni Salad left, so, its one scoop rice and one scoop mac ;) and I'm one happy Hawaiian Gal :))

Self-mployment is somewhat the same. You are "on call" 24/7, and some weeks, I have no idea what day it is on any given day.

I'm not religious, but I do like the idea of the sabbath being a "day of rest." On a really good Sunday, I get out of bed around noon, toss some meat on the smoker, and make sure any and every chair in the house feels my butt in it as I do as little work as possible. :LOL:

Oh, about dinner. I have no idea, yet. It is sunny and 79F right now, so I have the windows open, and a cold drink close at hand. I'll cross the dinner bridge when I get to it.

CD

Last edited:
I'm doing some pan roasted loin lamb chops from Costco, roasted asparagus with olive oil, garlic amd Italian seasonings. Also in the menu will be ATK loaded baked spuds, and a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Retired here too, and I enjoy one day after another of pretty much every day being Saturday! :LOL: Sunday though, is just different......at least for me.

Had an omelette this afternoon, loaded with veggies and a slice of toast and a sliced apple alongside.

Last edited:
I'm doing some pan roasted loin lamb chops from Costco, roasted asparagus with olive oil, garlic amd Italian seasonings. Also in the menu will be ATK loaded baked spuds, and a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Those COSTCO lamb chops are good. The price is reasonable, too. Your whole dinner menu sounds great!

CD

I have an 8-ounce chunk of prime ribeye in the sous vide pot. I'll cook it to med-rare, and sear it in a scorching hot cast-iron pan. Beef... it's what's for dinner. :yum:

CD

Homemade split pea soup with ham for dinner this evening.

Turned out great!

My recipe for the slow cooker:

Split pea soup - slow cooker
Start 1 - 2 days before serving

1 cooked ham, bone in
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 med onion
2 - 3 med carrots
1 - 2 ribs celery
1/2 t dried rosemary
1/2 t dried thyme
1 lb dried split peas, washed
1/2 t Worcestershire sauce or more to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 lg potato
Oil
Sour cream for garnish

Preheat slow cooker to low. Add broth.

Trim skin and fat from ham. Then remove as much ham as possible from bone. Set aside.

Place bone in large slow cooker. Raise heat to high or automatic (1 - 1.5 hrs at high, then auto reduce to low). Add enough water to cover. Add rosemary, thyme, and pepper.

Coarsely chop 1/4 of onion and half of one carrot. Slice 1/4 - 1/3 of potato into thick 1/2” slices. Add all to broth.

Cook in slow cooker overnight. While cooking, chop as much of ham meat into cubes as you would like to put into soup. Store in frig, covered.

Next day, remove bone and veggies from slow cooker and discard. Cool the broth to room temp. Pour through a mesh sieve into bowls or containers. Place bowls in frig to chill for an hour or more.

When broth is cold, remove from frig, discard fat on top, and return broth to cleaned slow cooker. Turn on cooker heat to low to start to bring to room temp.

Rinse split peas and add to slow cooker. Cook on high heat until peas are soft - 40 minutes or longer.

Chop onion and slice carrots. Cook in oil over med high heat until caramelized and soft. Once peas in slow cooker are soft, add onion and carrot pieces to broth. Stir to mix.

Soup may have too much broth at this point, depending on how much water you had to add to cover bone. If there is an excess of broth, transfer it to containers and freeze for another use.

Transfer most of broth and veggies to a lg bowl and set aside. Transfer remaining mixture in slow cooker to food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Return to slow cooker.

Then puree rest of pea/broth/veggie mix from bowl in batches, always transferring to slow cooker when done.

Add Worcestershire sauce and another dash black pepper, stir. Add cubed ham and stir. Slice rest of potato into 1/2” thick slices, add, and stir. (Potato slices are only meant to absorb excess salt from ham.)

Cook on high for 1 hour or more - until ham is warmed and soup is hot and thick. Remove potato slices and discard. Taste soup and add more Worcestershire or pepper as needed.

Serve soup in warm bowls with a dollop of sour cream on top.

(Do not add sour cream to batch of soup. Do not freeze soup with sour cream in it.)

Trying a Rachel Ray recipe...
Rach has to wait for my review. I've had an on-and-off headache wandering inside my cranium the last three days and just didn't want to think. Pulled a couple pint containers of chicken-barley stew from the freezer, heated those, and munched on the last of the Trader Giotto's Italian breadsticks with olive oil.

Smoked pork chop and salad (spring mix, sliced baby bella, raw broccoli, black olives dressed with homemade vinaigrette dressing).

salad_chop_032218_IMG_3823.jpg

Back
Top Bottom