"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

At SO's request, I made a batch of meatballs and sauce all of which are earmarked for meatball subs. We had a couple of meatball subs tonight with corn on the cob (vegetables are good for you.)

Old 08-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

Greg, I told you the other day about the Hatch chili's in Santa Paula Von's. I liked roasting them myself to be able to remove all the seeds and veins. Be sure to wear gloves.

Tonight I'm doing individual casseroles of dover sole I made a while back.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #13
Master Chef

Holy cow Steve......those chili's look fabulous!!
I'll be doing those for sure tomorrow night!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #14
Head Chef

I'm cooking up a batch lamb curry stew that I've made countless times.

I'm always on the look out for decent lamb chops for broiling, so I buy Kroeger brand 2 paks of shoulder lamb chop and freeze them. I was collecting so many I thought I might not broil them till fall, so I laboriously cut them up into cubes for the stew. There's a company called Superior Farms that ships american lamb for stew packages to my store, but it tastes just like beef, not lamby tasting at all, probably all grain fed and no grass. Kroeger brand lamb has good lamb flavor without tasting too gamey, but they don't sell lamb for stew meat.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #15
Head Chef

After a long week of not cooking, I had a chance to make Shrimp Gumbo.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hatch chilies here tonight, too. Sort of a variation on the rellenos theme, these are roasted, stuffed with a cream cheese mixture, wrapped in bacon, and then back into the oven until the bacon is cooked.

The sauce is homemade fire-roasted salsa that I made last fall. I'm down to my last jar, but I probably won't do any canning this year since I'm moving in a few weeks. Too bad, because it's delicious.

wow they look good ! Hatch chilies are featured Saturday only at a local market. Ya know i'll be there!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

Steve, you're dinner looks great, but I can almost feel the heat through the monitor. Had to reach for a beer to cool things off. (Just Kidding!)

Good looking gumbo, s&p. I still have a couple of Abita in the basement...I'll be right over.

Himself was going to grill a tuna steak, but he was having so much fun drilling and sanding in the basement I just seared it on a CI pan. With that we had fresh corn off the cob, tomato chunks, Swiss chard sauteed with bacon (all veggies from the Farmers' Market), tuna seasoned with The Spice House "Florida Seasoned Pepper", and crab cakes from TJ's found on a freezer diving expedition. All good, but not all gone. I'll turn the rest of the tuna steak into tuna salad, and the leftover corn will go into tomorrow's (?) chowder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-19 22.10.27.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	25206  
Old 08-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #18
Head Chef

Hatch Chili experts, do you peel (blacken then put in a bowl w/plastic over, then peel) a Hatch Chili pepper before making a bacon wrapped cheese filled concoction?

Tomorrow I'm going to a small city's once a month week-end market where they sell everything and gardeners/farmers bring in tons of produce to sell as well. If I found Hatch Chili's how would I know that--I know they are only grown in 'The Hatch', but, if they are grown locally, how would I identify them. They won't be official 'hatch chilis', I get that part. If I can't find them, what is a close second choice? A medium banana pepper? A pablano? Anyone have a hint?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Well, my one meal a day diet (and fruit) lasted, er, less than a day. So I had corn on the cob for brunch and then a tuna melt for supper. I got the tuna from Trader Joe's It's a little pricier, but I can sure taste the difference.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:45 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Hatch Chili experts, do you peel (blacken then put in a bowl w/plastic over, then peel) a Hatch Chili pepper before making a bacon wrapped cheese filled concoction?

Tomorrow I'm going to a small city's once a month week-end market where they sell everything and gardeners/farmers bring in tons of produce to sell as well. If I found Hatch Chili's how would I know that--I know they are only grown in 'The Hatch', but, if they are grown locally, how would I identify them. They won't be official 'hatch chilis', I get that part. If I can't find them, what is a close second choice? A medium banana pepper? A pablano? Anyone have a hint?
I grow Anaheim peppers, which are the same variety as Hatch. They are dark green, four to five inches long and a couple inches wide at the widest.

Yes, you need to roast and peel them as you described. I like to halve and seed them, then put them under the broiler.

Tags
dinner