Friday Dinner 8/19/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
This is early in the chile season and the experienced roasters are not on hand yet. So you will get several chiles that are under roasted in each case...perfect for chile rellenos. My main method of cooking starts with specific ingredients, an idea of how I want to prepare those ingredients and then search for a recipe that looks look to me. lately I have been coming up with Ree Drummond's recipes. Am using her Lazy Chile Rellenos, which is a baked version.

What are you fixing?

I'm going to be eating late tonight since DH is working until 11 pm. I'm going to make a curry using a garam masala that has a good amount of star anise and cinnamon in it. I have zucchini, chinese radish, and green beans which I supplement with onions, garlic, and celery. I've been cooking tomatoes for canning a sauce and I'm trying a new method, of spooning off the tomato water, to reduce cooking time. I don't want to throw out the tomato water so I'll use it in the curry with my spices, onions, garlic, and celery, and cook it down before I add some coconut milk, and cook that down too. I know it will smell good and if I balance the sweetness and savory flavors and finish it with a little butter, then I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it.

This is early in the chile season and the experienced roasters are not on hand yet. So you will get several chiles that are under roasted in each case...perfect for chile rellenos.
I was at the market the other day, and could not believe my eyes. There was a large display of Hatch hot chiles! I bought a half dozen, and Kayelle roasted and seeded them.

Well, we used a Ree Drummond recipe too, her spinach salad, though I did an extra egg, and a little more of the caramelized onions, dry fried mushies, and a couple of extra pieces of bacon since I wanted to make sure my guy was satisfied and happy so he'd want this again. Misson accomplished!

Hey, that's good info on the Hatch chilis in Santa Paula. I could probably do a round trip in 2-3 hours! I miss getting them roasted in the rotating roasters in Santa Fe, but I miss having them more, enough that I would seriously consider driving to SP and roasting them myself. Needless to say I'd buy as many as I think I could roast and would fit in the freezer. So many good (New) Mexican dishes are better with them!

Last edited:
Smoked a chicken on the stove top.
With that all shredded I made a garlic cream sauce + the usual red pizza sauce.

Just waiting for the dough to rise to make pizza's tonight.

I call dibbs on the chicken/ pepperoni with garlic sauce.
They can have the pepperoni with extra cheese.

Hatch chilies here tonight, too. Sort of a variation on the rellenos theme, these are roasted, stuffed with a cream cheese mixture, wrapped in bacon, and then back into the oven until the bacon is cooked.

The sauce is homemade fire-roasted salsa that I made last fall. I'm down to my last jar, but I probably won't do any canning this year since I'm moving in a few weeks. Too bad, because it's delicious. :(

img_1476705_0_bfada25e9c70dc199b0b23062119d58b.jpg

Hatch chilies here tonight, too. Sort of a variation on the rellenos theme, these are roasted, stuffed with a cream cheese mixture, wrapped in bacon, and then back into the oven until the bacon is cooked.

The sauce is homemade fire-roasted salsa that I made last fall. I'm down to my last jar, but I probably won't do any canning this year since I'm moving in a few weeks. Too bad, because it's delicious. :(

img_1476706_0_bfada25e9c70dc199b0b23062119d58b.jpg
That is to die for...Thank you for putting up the picture, now I know what I want to make for tomorrow.

Mmmm....looks and sounds fabulous, Steve!

I'm warming up planned leftovers from yesterday - a cheese enchilada, a small scoop of refried black beans, and fixin' to make a side salad to go along with it. Iced tea with fresh lemon to wash it all down. I'd prefer an ice cold Modelo with a lime wedge, but don't have any and don't feel like a trip to the store. :)

Last edited:
At SO's request, I made a batch of meatballs and sauce all of which are earmarked for meatball subs. We had a couple of meatball subs tonight with corn on the cob (vegetables are good for you.)

Greg, I told you the other day about the Hatch chili's in Santa Paula Von's. I liked roasting them myself to be able to remove all the seeds and veins. Be sure to wear gloves.

Tonight I'm doing individual casseroles of dover sole I made a while back.

I'm cooking up a batch lamb curry stew that I've made countless times.

I'm always on the look out for decent lamb chops for broiling, so I buy Kroeger brand 2 paks of shoulder lamb chop and freeze them. I was collecting so many I thought I might not broil them till fall, so I laboriously cut them up into cubes for the stew. There's a company called Superior Farms that ships american lamb for stew packages to my store, but it tastes just like beef, not lamby tasting at all, probably all grain fed and no grass. Kroeger brand lamb has good lamb flavor without tasting too gamey, but they don't sell lamb for stew meat.

Last edited:

img_1476729_0_bfada25e9c70dc199b0b23062119d58b.jpg

wow they look good ! Hatch chilies are featured Saturday only at a local market. Ya know i'll be there!

Steve, you're dinner looks great, but I can almost feel the heat through the monitor. Had to reach for a beer to cool things off. (Just Kidding!)

Good looking gumbo, s&p. :yum: I still have a couple of Abita in the basement...I'll be right over. :LOL:

Himself was going to grill a tuna steak, but he was having so much fun drilling and sanding in the basement I just seared it on a CI pan. With that we had fresh corn off the cob, tomato chunks, Swiss chard sauteed with bacon (all veggies from the Farmers' Market), tuna seasoned with The Spice House "Florida Seasoned Pepper", and crab cakes from TJ's found on a freezer diving expedition. All good, but not all gone. I'll turn the rest of the tuna steak into tuna salad, and the leftover corn will go into tomorrow's (?) chowder.

Attachments

• 2016-08-19 22.10.27.jpg
    2016-08-19 22.10.27.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 113
Hatch Chili experts, do you peel (blacken then put in a bowl w/plastic over, then peel) a Hatch Chili pepper before making a bacon wrapped cheese filled concoction?

Tomorrow I'm going to a small city's once a month week-end market where they sell everything and gardeners/farmers bring in tons of produce to sell as well. If I found Hatch Chili's how would I know that--I know they are only grown in 'The Hatch', but, if they are grown locally, how would I identify them. They won't be official 'hatch chilis', I get that part. If I can't find them, what is a close second choice? A medium banana pepper? A pablano? Anyone have a hint?

Well, my one meal a day diet (and fruit) lasted, er, less than a day. So I had corn on the cob for brunch and then a tuna melt for supper. I got the tuna from Trader Joe's It's a little pricier, but I can sure taste the difference.

Hatch Chili experts, do you peel (blacken then put in a bowl w/plastic over, then peel) a Hatch Chili pepper before making a bacon wrapped cheese filled concoction?

Tomorrow I'm going to a small city's once a month week-end market where they sell everything and gardeners/farmers bring in tons of produce to sell as well. If I found Hatch Chili's how would I know that--I know they are only grown in 'The Hatch', but, if they are grown locally, how would I identify them. They won't be official 'hatch chilis', I get that part. If I can't find them, what is a close second choice? A medium banana pepper? A pablano? Anyone have a hint?

I grow Anaheim peppers, which are the same variety as Hatch. They are dark green, four to five inches long and a couple inches wide at the widest.

Yes, you need to roast and peel them as you described. I like to halve and seed them, then put them under the broiler.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom