Friday dinner, June 1, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had pastelon, which is sort of a Puerto Rican or Dominican moussaka. It uses fried ripe plantains as the noodles, picadillo as the meat filling, a Latin mozzarella type cheese, and beaten seasoned eggs as the bechemel.

The picadillo is made with ground beef, various seasonings, green pimento stuffed olives, tomato paste, raisins and sofrito. Sofrito is made up of various peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro and culantro.

We were supposed to have a sliced avocado and red onion salad dressed with lime juice, olive oil, s and p, but for some reason Craig decided to mash the avocado.

Attachments

• 2018-06-01 17.50.15.jpg
    2018-06-01 17.50.15.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 130
Mom made kielbasa with sauteed peppers, onions, carrots and cabbage. It was tasty, now I want dessert...

...trying to decide whether to make a salad or have ice cream...
No contest - ice cream! :yum:

Could not decide what I wanted to make for supper. While picking apart a rotisserie chicken for soup next week, I watched Rachel Ray. She made a tasty looking "chicken salad niçoise". Hmm:huh: Most of the chicken was put away for soup. With the rest I made each of us an "all-day salad". Ready to eat by six-ish, we finished them up around ten. :LOL: No deciding about ice cream - we each just finished a Klondike bar.

Attachments

• 20180601_222907.jpg
    20180601_222907.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 96
CG, I really like your salad plate! Very nice!

When I order a Cob Salad (one of my favorites), I always ask if they serve it tossed and if they do, I don't want it. I love having everything nicely lined up in strips like that. It just makes me happy to choose a little bite of this or that.

I added some extra fresh boiled pasta to last night's spaghetti and generous meat sauce, and as so often happens it was even better the second day, with spinach salads on the side.

Beer can chicken. Not really a beer can- I bought this stainless steel thing- but same idea. I've never made it before. Our local supermarket had a great sale on whole chickens this week, so here we go. Cajun rub and I will poke holes in the skin with a sharp skewer so the fat leaks out and the skin gets crispy.

Beer can chicken. Not really a beer can- I bought this stainless steel thing- but same idea. I've never made it before. Our local supermarket had a great sale on whole chickens this week, so here we go. Cajun rub and I will poke holes in the skin with a sharp skewer so the fat leaks out and the skin gets crispy.
I love this, although I make it with wine. I think it was Katie who coined the term wine-butt chicken [emoji38]

I find that it cooks pretty fast. I don't know what your recipe says, but I would check it after 45 minutes.

Btw, you're making this tonight (Saturday), not Friday, right? ;)

I spent most of Friday working and getting delayed time after time trying to fly home. I landed in Dallas at about 12:30AM. I was really hungry, and stopped at the Twin Peaks near home (open until 2AM) for a BLT sandwich, which is a really good BLT. Lots of thick cut bacon cooked just right, with properly cooked fries on the side.

CD

Back
Top Bottom