Friday May 26, 2017. Let the feeding frenzy begin!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
So the Memorial Day weekend begins for us Mercans. That means food, food, and more food.

So, Are you getting it started tonight, or going easy to make room for the hot dogs, potato salads, burgers, beers, and whatever else you like to eat on this first holiday of the summer?

CD

I meant to have a bbq'd Tyson Cornish game hen on a roasting stand 2 days ago, which is when I prepared it. It was thawing for 2 days (wrapped) and has been an additional 2 days in the fridge (all prepped). It's on the grill right now. There is a slight discoloration in some areas, but no foul smell. I'm pretty sure I won't get sick eating it. I plan on roasting the hell outta it, just to make sure. I've got the BBQ dome propped open a little and the hood temp gauge reads 450F. I plan on letting it roast for 2 hours. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I meant to have a bbq'd Tyson Cornish game hen on a roasting stand 2 days ago, which is when I prepared it. It was thawing for 2 days (wrapped) and has been an additional 2 days in the fridge (all prepped). It's on the grill right now. There is a slight discoloration in some areas, but no foul smell. I'm pretty sure I won't get sick eating it. I plan on roasting the hell outta it, just to make sure. I've got the BBQ dome propped open a little and the hood temp gauge reads 450F. I plan on letting it roast for 2 hours. Fingers crossed.

Caslon, roasting on high heat for 2 hours will incinerate the poor little hen. :(

I had a good sized BLT around 2 this afternoon and don't see myself being very hungry later, so I'll probably end up just having a bowl of cold watermelon.

Not to worry, it's a bit cool today and there's a breeze wafting across the grill. I hate soggy wet chicken meat too. I'd rather it be overdone than underdone.
I don't think that's going to prevent incineration, but let us know how it goes [emoji2] Also, just FYI, if the little beasties have been reproducing long enough, the toxins left by that process are not inactivated by heat. Good luck ?

I placed some thin orange slices under the skin which should prevent total incineration. If it tastes funny at all, I'll toss it. It takes me 2 days to thaw it because I keep my freezer and fridge at max temp. After 1 day thawing, it's still partially frozen (factory wrapped of course).

Last edited:
After two weeks in fried food heaven, Jeannie and I are in salad, veggie with a protein mode for a while.. :angel:
And a minimum of desserts... :shock:

Ross

Caslon, roasting on high heat for 2 hours will incinerate the poor little hen. :(

This was my first chicken on a stand on my new Char-Broil portable BBQ. I own another portable BBQ which can run a battery operated rotisserie. I give roasting hen on stand a B-

The roasting stand method over did the skin, but the breast meat was still moist, same with everything else. I didn't bother basting and could have used a lower temp. The skin got kinda burnt. First time using orange slices under the skin which did ok. I also sprinkled dried orange peel in the cavity. The meat came out a bit too smokey tasting, I can hold back on mesquite chips next time.

I might instead use my BBQ-Pro portable BBQ with it's capability to run a battery operated rotisserie (for game hens). Set and forget, self-basting. :yum:

I tried to incorporate a battery rotisserie onto my new Char-Broil portable BBQ, but couldn't. The position of the side handles wouldn't accommodate the spit rod ladders. :neutral:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, Caslon! B- is a pretty good score for the results of trying something out for the first time. You've identified what you would do a little differently next time, and that's a huge step towards a B+ or an A. :chef::) Happy grilling!

I tossed some wings in the deep fryer. No breading or batter, just naked wings. I sprinkled some Frank's Red Hot on them, and had a nice chicken dinner. Going naked made the wings nice and crispy, but not heavy.

Just to be clear, just the wings were naked, I was fully clothed. ;)

CD

Fully clothed here, too. :LOL: Then again, it's been in the lower 50s all day with rain or drizzle. A perfect October day - in May.

We had salads, chicken breasts with preserved lemon and green olives over pastina (didn't have couscous, but it worked), and steamed broccoli. Poor chicken disappeared into the pastina. :ermm:

Attachments

• 20170526_211944.jpg
    20170526_211944.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 128
Stirling made http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/mock-armadillo-danish-meatloaf-69011.html#post948216 for supper. We served it with potato "boats" cooked with the meatloaf, rødkål (Danish red cabbage), and pickled beets. Stuck a few bits of leftover bacon on the potatoes before it went in the oven.

rAz_ZZ_pjiEPvMMwF69XnMLbf505nQqBRLTllp_WADtM_J_349cASoYMRoPmqOGonyEBH0G7LaOGy092tAGS8pRY_mhEAdhtTKlrq_HJTqPYn9K0ugZEDBDY3oLVj-qAOiC6t-ww-LyTUm0kqTFI7XvJRV_2waBHSGCBjfJegzEZH3HRUI4J-9vPd1OUkS2kTy34YaZ1RZq059y_iZNIcBQoKEf_fuuYQhe3gtI2V9qPYMkYWxKMgNaHXzaMO7ImtJeNRp-Ppp80z8J3Pyg6fl_7T8R1Z9KPeOJEE8rAABieS_6x6kzX9zedeewGAVHmxL5AwTSFPrzkt8i1fVKe7NXAE9ECeNQQHJA-KJqwW04N2KzLDhaPAsiv6D3cWt_mCa2uwb9ZwYVywGZBXA1kHaCyJDy1dQC0woN1fv1evomiq9QQCYHRqapkMqOqF_XgsSnzCykvqNCziOAdZjDbfj1B2ZZ5U5W2y3vvq8lGBzsRzff6RGL0EXBxlUCEEWw2SJRLTAxv5wgNfwBL2Mb-xjAyqnleDjt3g2zFAgR7OuLUkRxONVifflvrk5tC_rTLLvI8ob12jPwgu_7IcByoSZM0T9rTiiAl6gVZPvE38qG-vc7xAA=w725-h544-no

c1gk8_qMzrdJzTCTCe-mMk0Ywf41LZH3oZbkiq5Pp19eJ7Fv_NcGdu5dwGRc7DlCUKTudEe0KIEVJRd3lY5-VVIe5FlwcAZlEtFdZx9rASO6Bqs2X3SjKG6sieub9CVXDsHbdQjxLNiHIUKVdOfIYcElYwtGbQQY1R2RMMGfelTeemw-NTcMYiXkkOPKj-GMOLfpOyaV7Hm6p_bwiYWJb0GSZv_HarYcZoDdHS5_xL7hefQHKPCtCwSybMH0_PETO8T6i_pVBo7YwiTX5HiUzb_H20ioBz9i1u64NG-ctlPP8k_tfbq4np82-3Yb9ZK2B6LzHYnClbwR9iKzH60JWjrOQXJ1sPcyUyScQlQu32i3hb40YahB_GFqctkIy8JVCBZyYiibeyCTgYVkhdrceG8C1R9arKYnoksNEYaQPim-9zpn2tW-KnzTJlYAA5OA7W39Ps99jmPSSEaiNyEwk-cTmfe9UGFZMcWDOYkDnEUfA78RKMyeHn0xIl9UnZqUL5v2Hmb0p7BD1meY66unADKfhawHoIxAxpzx67KCWJlYXrds9PhBU27OVxDesOeSyCrln79NufsKvGArIzeJFY6FBraO_6JTy8KV4V5IxfkWBlJN0A=w409-h545-no

Back
Top Bottom