Friday Night Delight 8-8-14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Its fish night, sorta!

These will be the star of the show.

36788-albums318-picture5999.jpg

The tails will become Lobster Diablo, the heads have already been cleaned of the gills and along with the legs are in the stock pot. Conch will do double duty as "salad" (ceviche) and cracked conch with roasted garlic tartar sauce. Some coleslaw will fill in the gaps.:yum:

Now that's efficient cooking Craig! Dinner sounds like it will be spectacular.

I have some chicken wings that will go on the grill with some pineapple. Since I have a big pineapple I might do some fried rice Dawg's way.

I'm impressed with the Lobster Diablo. I've never attempted lobster.

What is fried rice Dawgs way? I really like fried rice.

I've got an inch thick swordfish steak to pan sear with a lime & garlic butter sauce, rice and roasted carrots.

I'm making us a pizza for dinner tonight. It'll be a Margherita pizza with fresh mozz and basil. I must have a cold beer with the pizza.

I make my own Kalua Pork, in the oven, in large quanities, divy it up in 1/2 pound bundles, freeze it and then have it at hand when I want to make a quick supper
View attachment 21636
Plate lunch, Kalua pig and Cabbage with steamed white rice
IT'S ALOHA FRIDAY NO WORK TIL MONDAY!

I LOVE Kalua pig, Kgirl! I posted this here 4 years ago, and I'd love to compare recipes. Can you post yours please?
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/crock-pot-kalua-pig-65081.html

My leftover taco meat is now chili, resting in the fridge for the flavors to blend.

I'll heat up a bowl for dinner.

I LOVE Kalua pig, Kgirl! I posted this here 4 years ago, and I'd love to compare recipes. Can you post yours please?
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/crock-pot-kalua-pig-65081.html

Sure Kayelle, this is my version of Oven Kalua Pork:

Pork Butt
Sea Salt
Liquid Smoke
Ti Leaves (the all green ones only), enough to wrap the meat up like a burrito *

For each pound of Pork use: ½ Tablespoon of salt; ¾ Tablespoon Liquid smoke

Pre-heat the oven to 500⁰
Rub the Liquid Smoke all over the meat and then sprinkle evenly with the Salt.
Wrap the meat in your leaves and then in heavy duty foil
Place in a baking pan/dish; into the oven for 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 325⁰
Bake for an additional 3 ½ hours
Allow to cool, unwrap and discard the foil and leaves (save any juices)
Shred the meat how you like, either by hand or using two forks
*You can substitute with Banana, Taro, or Spinach leaves, but it’ll taste a bit different, I found Banana leaves here in the Desert.

I have some photos somewhere... I'll find them if you like.
The crockpot method I have tried, but part of the "something" is the Ti or Banana leaves. And the smell in the house is outrageous!

Thanks so much Kgirl. You may want to repost it under Pork or Ethnic dishes here so it doesn't get lost. I doubt I can find Ti leaves here (I may stuff my suitcase with them in April) but I know somebody with a banana tree, so I'll try that..

Thanks for this info...."For each pound of Pork use: ½ Tablespoon of salt; ¾ Tablespoon Liquid smoke" I see now that I'm not using enough for 5 lbs of meat.

A friend of ours brought me back some Ti leaf starter plants to grow, but they just never made it here in the middle of the desert. The banana leaves I found at the Asian and Hispanic markets in large bundles in the freezer case. I take out what I need the throw the rest back in the deep-freeze.

Himself will grill beer-doused chicken for sandwiches. I'll use French bread cut to length and top the chicken with bacon, beer caramelized onions, and cheddar cheese. Big salad before, Tater Dots alongside. And if we're going to have that salad anytime soon I have to get my big butt moving! :LOL:

Looks yummy GG.

A bit of a Mexican theme going on. I did Turkey Tacos with all the fixings. I had it as a salad and TB had corn shells.

I am getting to like the turkey meat a little better....specially when it is mixed with taco seasoning, salsa, etc! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom