"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-13-2014, 01:21 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Did someone say spaetzle?
OH MY GRAVY ALL OVER!
Is there any leftover?
@Kayelle, could you please post that that proper device
(and your recipe) for making spaetzle?
Mine just don't come out like my Greatgrandmother's ...
MMM, with pork roast, pan gravy and a green of some sort, yeah baby! I'm ALL in!
I'll be glad to post everything I've learned about Spaetzle tomorrow Kgirl.
I'm so happy about it turning out better than it ever has for me tonight.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this, too, Kayelle. Love spaetzle.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
We're planning on Bacon Wrapped Scallops with chipotle mayo. That's about as far as I've gotten so far. Might do a spinach salad with it.

What's on your table today?
Scallops sound so good right now. But I have learned to eat them only in my own home. I can taste the iodine in them, and when I do I have to spit the scallop out real quick. I am highly allergic to the iodine in them. Of all the seafood I love to eat, scallops are my favorite, but also are most likely to have the highest iodine levels. Spitting them out in a restaurant or in someone's home is just gross.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #24
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Scallops sound so good right now. But I have learned to eat them only in my own home. I can taste the iodine in them, and when I do I have to spit the scallop out real quick. I am highly allergic to the iodine in them. Of all the seafood I love to eat, scallops are my favorite, but also are most likely to have the highest iodine levels. Spitting them out in a restaurant or in someone's home is just gross.
Weird. If you are allergic, I'm not sure why you would eat them at all. I've also seen you mention eating cod and cod cakes in some of your postings. You do know that cod has virtually the same amount of iodine ounce for ounce as scallops, right?
Old 12-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Weird. If you are allergic, I'm not sure why you would eat them at all. I've also seen you mention eating cod and cod cakes in some of your postings. You do know that cod has virtually the same amount of iodine ounce for ounce as scallops, right?
I know and I can taste the iodine immediately. I always do a taste test on the tip of my tongue. The iodine has an off taste to me. The first time I ever had a reaction was about 45 years ago. I could believe that it was the scallops that made my arms and legs along with my face swell up. I had been eating seafood all of my life and loved it. Fortunately my husband was with me in the ER and he told them what I had eaten for supper. The second they heard scallops, they gave me the antidote. The swelling was gone in five minutes. The doctor told me I was lucky my tongue didn't start to swell. So now I check every piece of seafood. Oddly enough I can handle it, I just can't eat it all the time.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
OK kgirl and GG.....this is my new equipment.
Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Spaetzle Lid & Scraper in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Pasta Makers: Home & Kitchen

Yes, it's slightly expensive but I've fooled around with makeshift and inferior equipment long enough. The next best thing to this that I've used is a metal pie pan drilled with holes. This however, fits on the top of my large pot of boiling water and the included scraper is perfect.

I've also learned that it's better to make your Spaetzle early in the day, or even the day before making the main dish. That way, only the last step of browning it in butter remains to be done at the last minute.

I've also learned that following this superior recipe and method exactly, has given me the best results ever!

Spaetzle Recipe by Wolfgang Puck

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know and I can taste the iodine immediately. I always do a taste test on the tip of my tongue. The iodine has an off taste to me. The first time I ever had a reaction was about 45 years ago. I could believe that it was the scallops that made my arms and legs along with my face swell up. I had been eating seafood all of my life and loved it. Fortunately my husband was with me in the ER and he told them what I had eaten for supper. The second they heard scallops, they gave me the antidote. The swelling was gone in five minutes. The doctor told me I was lucky my tongue didn't start to swell. So now I check every piece of seafood. Oddly enough I can handle it, I just can't eat it all the time.

A few years back my BIL was rushed to hospital with problems breathing. Doctor told him he was allergic to some shellfish.

He replied that he couldn't be as he'd eaten shellfish all his life. The Doc explained that this could be, as 999 times out of 1000 his body could deal with the allergy but it is that 1000th, 10,000th 1,000,000th time that the allergy could flare up and cause him problems.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
OK kgirl and GG.....this is my new equipment.
Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Spaetzle Lid & Scraper in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Pasta Makers: Home & Kitchen

Yes, it's slightly expensive but I've fooled around with makeshift and inferior equipment long enough. The next best thing to this that I've used is a metal pie pan drilled with holes. This however, fits on the top of my large pot of boiling water and the included scraper is perfect.

I've also learned that it's better to make your Spaetzle early in the day, or even the day before making the main dish. That way, only the last step of browning it in butter remains to be done at the last minute.

I've also learned that following this superior recipe and method exactly, has given me the best results ever!

Spaetzle Recipe by Wolfgang Puck

So many mahalos, thanks Kayelle.

I put that spaetzle scraper in my Amazon wish list and saved the recipe to my fav's in my Chrome.

I do have two questions in regards to Wolfgang's recipe.

Do you use the peanut oil specifically? My greatgrandma used melted butter, I think.

Second, 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated Nutmeg, wow, that sounds like alot, to the point of being over powering, no?

So, lastly, do you have any photographs of this outstanding dish?
I'm so visual, I love pictures, especially of food. I can remember things much better if I see it.

I use to train folks on how to use different task-specific computer software, back in the day when we first started to do such things. I found for most people, they understood and retained the information better with visual-aids.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Just google it. They all look pretty much the same. It's an egg noodle.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
A few years back my BIL was rushed to hospital with problems breathing. Doctor told him he was allergic to some shellfish.

He replied that he couldn't be as he'd eaten shellfish all his life. The Doc explained that this could be, as 999 times out of 1000 his body could deal with the allergy but it is that 1000th, 10,000th 1,000,000th time that the allergy could flare up and cause him problems.
I didn't touch seafood for more than a year after my first reaction. Now I give all seafood a test. If I can detect the iodine in it, then I leave it alone. It is not worth the risk. I have found through my own foolishness that each time I have a reaction, it is stronger than the one before.