Friday Oct 25, Dinner plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planning on making Bubble 'n' Squeak for the first time tonight, but I'm also debating on whether or not to do my grocery run today or tomorrow. After shopping I have no interest in cooking that night! Anyway, I have the potatoes baking right now so they can cool (I never have leftover baked spuds) and I might prep all the other ingredients while waiting for the potatoes (and a load of laundry). If I make it today I'll report back later. If I don't make it till tomorrow you'll see it in that thread. ;)

Ooh! I haven't had Bubble and Squeak for years - my mum used to make it all the time and it was delicious! I'll look forward to your report CG! ;)

Somehow we've managed to accumulate a variety of bits of this and that, so tonight's meal will be clean out the fridge night. It'll be a smorgasbord of things that haven't become U.F.O.s (unidentified food objects). We'll finish the walnut caramel pie for dessert.

I can't find orange roughy by us. :( It ain't Lake Erie Perch, but I'll have to look for roughy when we are visiting the kiddos later this year.

Bummer.
That bubble and squeak looks pretty good. Does it freeze well (do you know)?

nothing tonight for your's truly.had a lunchtime meeting at a local hostelry with my rmd & one of my fellow asd's.worked together & been friends for yonks so we got the business bit out of the way in 10 mins & the next 2 hours was chit chat 'ow's yer cat:ermm:!food was bloody good for pub grub too.all had the same-mixed grill.steak,gammon,sausages,lamb,onion rings,chips & a couple of eggs.big pot of jack daniels dipping sauce & a free drink with each meal.steak & lamb was a nice medium rare & the whole bill for the three of us came to £35/$55....bargain.so,after lunch i was having a mooch around the shops & bumped into bev,been mates for years,costa coffee was beckoning so she & i spent a couple of hours catching up,drinking capuccino's & munching on some very tasty bakewell tarts.damn,it's a hard old life:cool:!!

Okay, so today was supposed to be the big Clam Chowder experiment... unfortunately, when I opened the tin of clams I was so repulsed by how they looked (and smelt) I put them straight in the bin! :sick:Clams are going on my list of foods I never want to see on my plate! :LOL:
they are meant to look & smell like that katers...sheesh,i dunno you young 'uns:rolleyes:!!

Bummer.
That bubble and squeak looks pretty good. Does it freeze well (do you know)?
Don't right know pac. Tell ya what, I'll make sure we leave one small patty and I'll freeze it as a test.

FWIW, I'm not making that recipe exactly. So many variations on sites I decided the potatoes aren't the only thing in a mash-up tonight! If it turns out alright, I'll post how I made it. If not, you'll see the barfy smilie in my post. :LOL: Heck, it's basically potato/onion/bacon/cabbage. What could go wrong? :ermm:

Well, after all the trials, tribulations and discussions - I give you Crab and Sweetcorn Chowder (sort of) :LOL: The good news is Ollie liked it and we had two empty dishes! So, undoubtedly not very authentic, but jolly tasty!

Looks delicious Katy!

Here is my experiment.
good looking plates there chaps:yum:!! any chance of popping 'em on food photo's....please:rolleyes:!

Melanzane alla parmigiana and a salad!

Sounds more impressive than eggplants, three for a dollar, from the farmers market yesterday! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Orange Roughy, it's a fish. Mild, firm white flesh. It must be native to New Zealand because that all I ever see for sale, from NZ.

Sorry to hear about the clams.
We may never know... were they off, or do you just not like clams... :ermm:
Good plan B though :chef:
I like the smell of tinned clams. They don't really smell fishy, more of a sweet smell, like their flavor.
let's hope our budding police officer has a stronger stomach when she finds her 1st decomposing tramp in a dumpster eh pac:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:??!!
that roughy sounds good mate:yum:!

let's hope our budding police officer has a stronger stomach when she finds her 1st decomposing tramp in a dumpster eh pac:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:??!!
that roughy sounds good mate:yum:!

Har ha Harry!! :-p (You do understand I am not going to be a police officer, right? I am joining the police college as a Programme Co-ordinator!)

I think I'm going to make a dish my mom used to make. It's basically a tex-mex shepherds pie. One layer of browned gr. beef or turkey seasoned with a packet of taco seasoning. One layer of frozen corn. Top layer is mashed potato's doctored up with cheddar cheese. A bit unusual but a tasty dish.

Fish and chips from the chippy. I know I shouldn't because they don't agree with me but I couldn't resist. Ate them with my fingers out of the paper while sitting in the car - s-o-o sophisticated!

Of course the proper way to eat fish and chips is sitting on the front at your favourite seaside place on a sunny summer evening.

When I was a student in North Wales in the late '60s/early '70s, we usually called at the chippy on the way home from the pub. Both were supposed to be out of bounds, along with playing tennis on Sundays and climbing into the hall of residence through your friend's ground floor window because you'd missed curfew and were locked out. The student in charge of lock up (we had to take it in turns) was supposed to report late-comers to our Warden (yes, that was really her title) but she was a lush and by 10pm was usually out for the count.

It could have been worse - it was only a year earlier that they had stopped making students line up for roll call in the common room at curfew time to check you were in. We just had to sign in - there were a lot of forged signatures especially at weekend! Lights out at 10pm would you believe and the rest of the world thought we were living the swinging sixties!

Last edited:
When I was a student in North Wales in the late '60s/early '70s, we usually called at the chippy on the way home from the pub. Both were supposed to be out of bounds, along with playing tennis on Sundays and climbing into the hall of residence through your friend's ground floor window because you'd missed curfew and were locked out. The student in charge of lock up (we had to take it in turns) was supposed to report late-comers to our Warden (yes, that was really her title) but she was a lush and by 10pm was usually out for the count.

It could have been worse - it was only a year earlier that they had stopped making students line up for roll call in the common room at curfew time to check you were in. We just had to sign in - there were a lot of forged signatures especially at weekend! Lights out at 10pm would you believe and the rest of the world thought we were living the swinging sixties!

Wow, sounds like when I was in basic training when I joined the RCAF.

Something went awry and my blackened fish didn't blacken, but it was good nonetheless. Could've sworn the pan was hot enough :rolleyes:

Attachments

• dinner 10-25-13.jpg
    dinner 10-25-13.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 169
I had a rib eye steak and green beans. Stirling is at a role playing game and he doesn't like green beans and isn't big on slab-o-beef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom