"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Everymom

Friday Oct 25, Dinner plans?

Seems like there are a lot of birthdays in our family today! My brother, my nephew and two friends. WOW.

I'm leaving something for the family made of turkey breast. I found a good deal on them at the grocery store, so that's the main meal. I'll also leave steamed grean beans (last of the garden crop) tossed with parmesan and rosemary salt. I'm thinking that quinoa will be the easiest starch for them as well. That might change once I decide what to do with the turkey breast. If I bread them I'll leave the quinoa, if I do some kind of sauce or stewing with them then there will be pasta to soak up the sauce. I'll update later.

Dessert will be cake. I'm going to go make a pound cake. That one of .40's is a favorite around here. We have some blueberries to go with. Mmmmmmm.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe you've said why before, Alix, but why are you always leaving food? Can't Ken or your girls cook, or do you enjoy doing this for them? Do you eat the leftovers when you get back home? This inquiring mind wants to know

I think tonight I'll have blackened orange roughy and a grilled romaine salad. Maybe a little rice with butter, too.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm planning extra thick pork chops with apple and cider stuffing, potato and a veggie.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Maybe you've said why before, Alix, but why are you always leaving food? Can't Ken or your girls cook, or do you enjoy doing this for them? Do you eat the leftovers when you get back home? This inquiring mind wants to know

I think tonight I'll have blackened orange roughy and a grilled romaine salad. Maybe a little rice with butter, too.
Pac, what, pray tell, is roughy?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Head Chef

Okay, so today was supposed to be the big Clam Chowder experiment... unfortunately, when I opened the tin of clams I was so repulsed by how they looked (and smelt) I put them straight in the bin!

So, now it will be Crab and Sweetcorn Chowder instead! (Luckily I had a tin of lump crabmeat in the cupboard.)

Clams are going on my list of foods I never want to see on my plate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinned baby clams.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	19125  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Pac, what, pray tell, is roughy?
Orange Roughy, it's a fish. Mild, firm white flesh. It must be native to New Zealand because that all I ever see for sale, from NZ.

Sorry to hear about the clams.
We may never know... were they off, or do you just not like clams...
Good plan B though
I like the smell of tinned clams. They don't really smell fishy, more of a sweet smell, like their flavor.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Orange Roughy, it's a fish. Mild, firm white flesh. It must be native to New Zealand because that all I ever see for sale, from NZ.

Sorry to hear about the clams.
We may never know... were they off, or do you just not like clams...
Good plan B though
I like the smell of tinned clams. They don't really smell fishy, more of a sweet smell, like their flavor.
Ah, well that sounds very nice indeed then! (Now I know what it is!)

I think I just don't like clams. The smell wasn't strong (and it wasn't fishy), I just really didn't like it.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Everymom

pacanis, I work 3 evenings a week and I leave food for my family because I like to. If there are a lot of leftovers or someone has expressed a desire to cook, then I let it be. Its just my way of letting them know I love them and am thinking of them even when I'm not with them. Oh, and I only get leftovers if I make a LOT or if they don't like what I've left! I only got a sniff of the bolognese from 2 nights ago darn it!

My plan has changed a bit. I was messing around and found myfridgefood.com and decided to try out one of the ideas on there. I'm cutting up the turkey breast, some potatoes and using the green beans, but they are going in a one dish meal. Turkey pieces in the middle, potatoes on one side, beans on the other. It says to sprinkle with dry italian salad dressing mix then cover with foil and bake. I don't have any so I'll sub with a bit of red pepper salad dressing and my own blend of herbs. I have some provence I want to try out. We'll see how that goes over. It sounds like it might be nice.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Sounds pretty good to me Alix!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the answer, Alix. That's really nice of you to do that for them.

Katy, it's pretty reasonably priced, too. Another reason I like it.

Tags
dinner