"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Friday October 28th 2011 What's Cooking?

Wow it took me forever to find this forum ... This new layout is going to take some getting use too - But assuming since there is no post about today's menu then it means that no one else could find it either :) Thought I was the only one.

But since I'm here tonight we'll be having Taco Night - One of my favorite days :)

Old 10-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm having a bowl of chili while SO wants nachos for dinner.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I was thinking tacos, too!
I pulled some pulled pork out of the freezer this morning and am going to make those Korean style tacos with Kogi BBQ sauce again.
That is, if I ever stop burping up that #6 crispy with a root beer I had for lunch, lol.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have some pretzel rolls and will make sandwiches out of those, I'll leave them open with meat on one side and cheese on the other and toast them in the oven.'

I'm also going to make homemade broccoli cheese soup.

Dessert will be homemade pecan pie, that I made this morning.

Chilly day, great day to enjoy some comfort food.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Master Chef

Fried haddock. (Who knows for sure.)
Cabbage salad.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I love pretzel sandwich, bakechef. Do you make your own prezel rolls? I'd love to see a recipe and technique.
We used to eat pretzel sandwiches when I was a kid. They held up great to boating and wet hands.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Wine Guy

I picked up a nice steelhead trout filet at the store. I'll probably grill that up tonight, and serve it along with a salad and vegetable on the side.

I also have a couple of heads romanesco in the fridge. I've been putting off making it simply because I've never made romanesco before, but I guess tonight would be as good a time as any.

Any tips on how to cook it? I was thinking of maybe cutting into pieces, drizzling with olive oil and roasting in the oven.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

dw has been on a meat thing recently, so she made a baked ham, nuked spuds, corn, and applesauce.

unfortunately, the ham was so salty i couldn't eat much of it. my tongue feels burnt from the salt. i'm surprised that a smithfield ham was that bad.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
dw has been on a meat thing recently, so she made a baked ham, nuked spuds, corn, and applesauce.

unfortunately, the ham was so salty i couldn't eat much of it. my tongue feels burnt from the salt. i'm surprised that a smithfield ham was that bad.
Bucky, you might want to check that ham and be sure it wasn't country ham! Country ham from Smithfield (across the river from where I live) is VERY salty. Their smoked hams are "sweeter" than that and not very salty at all.

I got home from school today and started a pot of chili. It's been cooking for 2 hours now and starting to smell really good. I'm trying to decide if I'll make some rice to serve with it or just go with the chili. I have cheese and sour cream to top it off.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur

Bucky, you might want to check that ham and be sure it wasn't country ham! Country ham from Smithfield (across the river from where I live) is VERY salty. Their smoked hams are "sweeter" than that and not very salty at all.

I got home from school today and started a pot of chili. It's been cooking for 2 hours now and starting to smell really good. I'm trying to decide if I'll make some rice to serve with it or just go with the chili. I have cheese and sour cream to top it off.
It's crazy how country ham is so salty! It leaves you thirsty hours after eating it! I love city ham and normally request it when eating out.