Friday October 28th 2011 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Wow it took me forever to find this forum ... This new layout is going to take some getting use too - But assuming since there is no post about today's menu then it means that no one else could find it either :) Thought I was the only one.

But since I'm here tonight we'll be having Taco Night - One of my favorite days :)

I was thinking tacos, too!
I pulled some pulled pork out of the freezer this morning and am going to make those Korean style tacos with Kogi BBQ sauce again.
That is, if I ever stop burping up that #6 crispy with a root beer I had for lunch, lol.

I have some pretzel rolls and will make sandwiches out of those, I'll leave them open with meat on one side and cheese on the other and toast them in the oven.'

I'm also going to make homemade broccoli cheese soup.

Dessert will be homemade pecan pie, that I made this morning.

Chilly day, great day to enjoy some comfort food.

I love pretzel sandwich, bakechef. Do you make your own prezel rolls? I'd love to see a recipe and technique.
We used to eat pretzel sandwiches when I was a kid. They held up great to boating and wet hands.

I picked up a nice steelhead trout filet at the store. I'll probably grill that up tonight, and serve it along with a salad and vegetable on the side.

I also have a couple of heads romanesco in the fridge. I've been putting off making it simply because I've never made romanesco before, but I guess tonight would be as good a time as any. :ermm:

Any tips on how to cook it? I was thinking of maybe cutting into pieces, drizzling with olive oil and roasting in the oven.

dw has been on a meat thing recently, so she made a baked ham, nuked spuds, corn, and applesauce.

unfortunately, the ham was so salty i couldn't eat much of it. my tongue feels burnt from the salt. i'm surprised that a smithfield ham was that bad.

dw has been on a meat thing recently, so she made a baked ham, nuked spuds, corn, and applesauce.

unfortunately, the ham was so salty i couldn't eat much of it. my tongue feels burnt from the salt. i'm surprised that a smithfield ham was that bad.

Bucky, you might want to check that ham and be sure it wasn't country ham! Country ham from Smithfield (across the river from where I live) is VERY salty. Their smoked hams are "sweeter" than that and not very salty at all.

I got home from school today and started a pot of chili. It's been cooking for 2 hours now and starting to smell really good. I'm trying to decide if I'll make some rice to serve with it or just go with the chili. I have cheese and sour cream to top it off.

jabbur said:
Bucky, you might want to check that ham and be sure it wasn't country ham! Country ham from Smithfield (across the river from where I live) is VERY salty. Their smoked hams are "sweeter" than that and not very salty at all.

I got home from school today and started a pot of chili. It's been cooking for 2 hours now and starting to smell really good. I'm trying to decide if I'll make some rice to serve with it or just go with the chili. I have cheese and sour cream to top it off.

It's crazy how country ham is so salty! It leaves you thirsty hours after eating it! I love city ham and normally request it when eating out.

making chicken pasta soup. using mini bow tie pasta , because i am out of noodles.

In cases like this, I use a some of those Ramen noodles I saved, after stealing using up the seasoning packets.:LOL:

Last edited:
I love pretzel sandwich, bakechef. Do you make your own prezel rolls? I'd love to see a recipe and technique.
We used to eat pretzel sandwiches when I was a kid. They held up great to boating and wet hands.

Nope I bought the rolls at Trader Joe's. They were excellent, they tasted and smelled just like a pretzel, just more bready. Went great with honey ham, smoked cheddar and spicy brown mustard.

It's crazy how country ham is so salty! It leaves you thirsty hours after eating it! I love city ham and normally request it when eating out.

Bucky, you might want to check that ham and be sure it wasn't country ham! Country ham from Smithfield (across the river from where I live) is VERY salty. Their smoked hams are "sweeter" .

it must have been a country ham. i've drank a half gallon of water, and a half bottle of ginger ale because i'm so thirsty. i'll have to remember that about country hams. thanks for the heads up.

it won't go to waste, though. dw already asked me to make my cp split pea soup with the bone and some meat, and the outdoor cats just got a big ham dinner.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
it must have been a country ham. i've drank a half gallon of water, and a half bottle of ginger ale because i'm so thirsty. i'll have to remember that about country hams. thanks for the heads up.

Geez, BT, don't let DW undo the good! Sounds like the ham bone soup stock doesn't need any more salt!

yeah, i won't be adding any salt to the pea soup, that's for sure. and i have a chicken carcass ready to make a salt free stock for the pea soup as well.

well stick with dietz and watson hams from now on.

Last edited:
Cold front in south Texas today. Supposed to get down in the 40's tonight. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Made a big pot of Texas Red for supper tonight.

yeah, i won't be adding any salt to the pea soup, that's for sure. and i have a chicken carcass ready to make a salt free stock for the pea soup as well.

well stick with dietz and watson hams from now on.

When we moved to the south, a roommate of mine bought a country ham not knowing any better. OMG that was salty, we tried to make other things with it but ended up tossing it. We really should have boiled it down and made a soup or something. Just don't care for country ham. Smithfield has lots of other good regular hams other than country ham thankfully.

I've only had Smith's ham for smoked ham. I've had fresh ham, too, but that is uncooked and white. I'm thinking we are talking about the smoked variety? Why do they make country ham so salty? So it looks like regular ham, but is very salty?

Back
Top Bottom