"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH picked up some everything pasta and a Caesar salad from a local pizza place we used to frequent. Many months ago, we ordered a pizza from them, and it was the worst we'd ever gotten. I complained, and they gave us a store credit for our next order. Tonight we used the credit, and dinner cost 50 cents. Mega carb overload between the pastas, the garlic toast, and the croutons on the salad though! We have more than enough left over for tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbrat View Post
Third round of leftover pot roast here. All that was left after breakfast-for-dinner hash was a chunk of meat and a little broth. Chunked up the roast into thickened broth and dumped it over my new favorite comfort food...spaetzle. Big ol' salad on the side.

Kayelle, I wound up ordering the contraption that I think you posted?....flat with good-sized holes. Mostly because it would store with my lids and cookie sheets, but it works great. Makes a passable splatter screen, too.
Woo Hoo BB...... I love that thing!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:33 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We had a standard comfort skillet from my childhood with the help of my dear Souschef.

Kielbasa chunks browned in bacon grease and removed, added shredded cabbage to the skillet with sliced onions and chunks of potato and apple till wilted. Add the Kielbasa chunks on top and season with salt, garlic, and dill. Pour a half cup of beer or white wine (my choice), cover and simmer. Serve with assorted mustards.
Kayelle, that sounds like something Himself would love! Our doctor probably wouldn't approve, but then again I won't invite him for supper.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We had a standard comfort skillet from my childhood with the help of my dear Souschef.

Kielbasa chunks browned in bacon grease and removed, added shredded cabbage to the skillet with sliced onions and chunks of potato and apple till wilted. Add the Kielbasa chunks on top and season with salt, garlic, and dill. Pour a half cup of beer or white wine (my choice), cover and simmer. Serve with assorted mustards.
Sounds like hearty German/Polish comfort! I'll be having that soon, with maybe a little change, leaving out the potato and having spaetzle as a side dish.

Sadly, I didn't make the gumbo I had planned and we found our last go to sushi place had taken a down hill spiral in quality. Alas, we are left with no other choice than making it at home.

Tags
dinner