Friday's Dinner - Dec 6, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
HOLY MOLY its cold out there today! Perfect day to stay inside and cook. I was going to try kadesma's chicken my way, but I think instead we need some stew and biscuits. Either that or a hearty potato bacon chowder.

Last edited:
Here on the east coast, it's Friday the 6th and SO and I are going out for dinner. Not sure where yet. We'll be in Boston overnight and should not have any problem finding a restaurant.

Oops. Can you tell I haven't had coffee yet? Good thing you were so quick Andy, I could still edit!

OK, request for potato bacon chowder and fresh bread has come in. That's what we're having.

I am eating my baked sweet potato and am having trouble getting it down. I should have cut it in half. :angel:

HOLY MOLY its cold out there today!

You made me look. All I could say was :ohmy:!!!!! That is freeze-yur-buns-off weather!

Had the chance to look at next week's ad for my usual grocery store - sales starting Sunday are better than this week's so I'll hit the corner grocery store instead. From their sale ad we'll have grilled chicken/bacon/swiss/mushroom sandwiches on toasted pretzel rolls. Drained some horseradish to mix with mayo and mustard for my special sandwich spread. Himself will be happy since I haven't made that for a long time.

We had planned to be on the road on our way to Atlanta today but Mother Nature had other plans. In anticipation of that, we ate all our leftovers and didn't take anything out of the freezer for today, so tonight's meal will be "scrounge special."

I did a quick recon of the freezer and discovered a small portion of pasta sauce, some corn-on-the-cob (from Glenn's son's garden this summer) and some green beans. We always travel with a bag of homemade cookies, so they'll be dessert. All I will have to do is to boil up some pasta. That should do it.

We'll still work on left overs. Got about half of the Brunswick stew left so will heat that up. Might make some sandwiches. If I can get DH to stop and pick up some bread we will do that.

HOLY MOLY its cold out there today! Perfect day to stay inside and cook. I was going to try kadesma's chicken my way, but I think instead we need some stew and biscuits. Either that or a hearty potato bacon chowder.

That's what I'm making....stew and biscuits! It's just that kind of day.

Baked acorn squash and Ha-ha. I saved that last bowl of turkey soup in the freezer, in a direct to microwave bowl.

Hmm, I have buttermilk powder, I think a pan of cheesy garlic biscuits sound good too.

Last edited:
I was all set to pick up a cheap pizza when my neighbor brought over some just made ox roast from a deer he got. So ox roast sandwiches for me.

Needed a good "stick to your rib" meal tonight. It's so cold....brrr!! Made ham and noodles with peas. Steamed broccoli and salad on the side.

I had leftover "Linda's pot of pork", leftover potatoes, and rødkål. Put it all on a plate and nuked it.

I was all set to pick up a cheap pizza when my neighbor brought over some just made ox roast from a deer he got. So ox roast sandwiches for me.

OK, Pac, so how do you get an ox roast from a deer? I thought they were two different animals....

Ended up rebooting tonight's menu. Himself figured I shouldn't play with knives tonight, so he ran out to our favorite pizza joint and picked up a couple small calzones. I ate half of mine (steak bomb) and finished off the last mug of tasty, albeit flat as a freshly ironed hankie, butternut ale.

OK, Pac, so how do you get an ox roast from a deer? I thought they were two different animals....

That's what I was wondering too.

Well it doesn't come from an ox either, any more than oxtail soup uses tail sections from an ox, so it's all good :LOL:

Ox roast is a regional thing, but basically it is shaved beef in a broth, or in this case shaved venison in broth. You make sandwiches with it like beef on wick, but you gotta have the broth to spoon onto the roll. Lots of recipes if you Google it.

Thanks to this discussion I wandered into Google and the dozens of different meanings of the word 'ox'. Add regional usage and it becomes more than dozens.

I love words so it was fun------ but as far as I could tell you can call almost anything an ox. LOL

Thanks to this discussion I wandered into Google and the dozens of different meanings of the word 'ox'. Add regional usage and it becomes more than dozens.

I love words so it was fun------ but as far as I could tell you can call almost anything an ox. LOL

And apparently "oysters", too. As in prairie oysters :ermm:

"And apparently "oysters", too. As in prairie oysters "

LOL-----

Yeah! And who knew that it was/is also the name of a Canadian country band too? I sure didn't.

We raised our own lamb for food and I can tell you that those little 'oysters' were delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom