"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
�� Canned baked beans, doctored up with fried up sliced hotdogs and diced onions. I added some maple syrup and black pepper.
That actually sounds rather tasty! (Though I wouldn't have added the maple syrup - a good dollop of brown sauce would have gone in there instead!)

And you must have had some kind of carb/starch?

KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Head Chef
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Grilled Mahi Mahi
Steamed white 'sticky' rice
Cucumber Kim Chee

My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Wine Guy
I spent most of the afternoon pressing wine grapes, so when Mrs. K called on the way home from work and asked what the plan was for dinner, I told her I wouldn't have time to cook tonight, and asked if she wouldn't mind stopping off to grab a pizza or something.

Normally it takes her 8 minutes to drive home, so after almost an hour I was beginning to wonder where she was. Just as I was about to call, she pulled in. As it turned out (and much to my delight), she had completely ignored my pizza suggestion and instead showed up with a huge sushi combo platter from a local Japanese place. What a nice surprise!
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
That actually sounds rather tasty! (Though I wouldn't have added the maple syrup - a good dollop of brown sauce would have gone in there instead!)

And you must have had some kind of carb/starch?

It was nice! What's brown sauce in the UK? I was thinking about adding brown sugar, a bit of molasses would work too.

I figured the beans were the carbs/starch.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
Master Chef
What a nice surprise, Steve!

Daughter was here getting some homework done, and I felt the need to feed her whether she was hungry or not, because everyone who comes over here gets fed. For a scrounge through the freezer and cupboards dinner on the fly, it was pretty good. Meatballs and gravy, lemon pepper pappardelle with butter and peas, sliced tomatoes, and pears.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
dw wasn't feeling well, so she didn't want to cook this afternoon. i picked up takeout italian for she and the boy (i wasn't hungry), and now i'm grilling a london broil for myself to make a balboa. i picked up some hot, fresh rolls from the italian/macedonian bakery up the block before, too.

side of polish dills and utz no salt added potato chips.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #17
Master Chef
I had actually planned on fish. I was going to swing by the grocery store that fries the fresh fish you buy at their case after I did my big shop. By the time the time I unpacked the cart and saw how much I had to fit into my refrigerator, I decided we had to finish the rest of the leftovers. We had bits of this and dabs of that, but not enough of any one thing to mention.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #18
Head Chef
Fryday: soft shell crab,walleye,stuffed artichoke w/Gorgonzola, frog legs.Wasabi mayo & cocktail sauce.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Test drove two fish recipes today. One was steelhead trout that had marinated in the fridge for 45 minutes. The rub/marinade was sugar, salt, lime, lemon, and orange zest. The other was oven-fried halibut with a crust of panko, lemon zest, butter, and parm. cheese. The trout was plated on top a salad of arugala, shaved fennel, fennel fronds, Mariposa cheddar, quinoa, parsley, shallot, garlic, orange segments dressed with a lemon-parm-S&P vinaigrette, drizzled with chamomile tea-white balsamic vinegar syrup; the trout was served on a bed of wilted spinach, oven roasted cherry tomatoes and garlic, drizzled with a maple-white balsamic glaze. Both were excellent. I'm stuffed (I didn't eat full portions of anything except the salad). So I'm claiming that for Friday Fish Day's dinner. What is everyone else having?
I made that. The professional photographer makes what I cook look so darned good (and it was EXCELLENT):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steelhead_trout.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	22002  

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote