"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 03-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I always have frozen ravioli and veggies on hand. Usually there is some kind of meat - right now chicken breasts, a whole chicken (for soup) and a pot roast and two pork tenderloins i was too tired to cook. We always have ice cream and popsicles too. I keep some pizzas in there for my daughter and her friends. Oooh, and Jkath's chicken scampi is in there waiting to be cooked (yum!) as well as a chicken and dumpling bag from banquet. No wonder why everything falls out when I open the door!

Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
No wonder why everything falls out when I open the door!
I'm lucky if I can close the door!

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Currently in the freezer are peas, edamame, berries, waffles, gardenburgers, muffins, brownies, ice cream, puff pastry, and pizza. There's probably other stuff I don't know about, or can't identify. I don't think we really use the freezer, yet its full and probably needs cleaning. Seems like I have less stuff that other people in mine.
marmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
Master Chef
I do have a lot of freezer space. The new fridge has a nice sized one, I have a deep-freeze in the carport outside the kitchen door, and Kim has a fridge in his garage (barn) that also has a decent sized freezer.
We ate a lot more when we had the boy here, so I'm trying to get things emptied out a little. Anytime I cook too much for Kim and I, my daughter, a working mother, is right down the road, happy to get a meal she doesn't have to cook.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
Senior Cook
I stuff mine with ice cream and popsicles! It gets hot around here
biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Constance,I have about the same as you except I don't have as much venison. Mine is venison sausage, and several packages of it. You reminded me I need to cook my turkey soon. I usually keep all types of veggies, most frozen fruits, all types of meat, some fish. I need to use some blackberries too. I have a few breads, some when I made too much, some when I bought too much.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #17
Master Chef
plenty of proteins, like a steak, lamb, a couple varieties of fish, some bread products, little else. i get lunch & then we cook at school & we have a bunch of restaurants by me so i only have some basics that i cook with.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #18
Master Chef
I used to have a small chest freezer, but am now making do with the top-of-the-fridge freezer. I'm surprised that it has turned out OK, I thought that by now (almost five years living here) I haven't found the need for a bigger freezer.

I always have at least two bags of frozen veggies. Brocolli flowerettes as a minimum (something I eat several times a week with angel hair for lunch). Then I'll have bags of several other vegs. We are a childless couple, so I like bags rather than boxes so I can just reach in and grab an hand full.

There is usually a bag chicken breasts, and when the weather warms, there will always be a bag of wings as well.

There is always a bag of odds and ends ready to make stock/soup with. With two people, I often look in the veggie crisper drawer and find (for example) a bunch of celery that looks sad. I trim, wash it, and freeze. Ditto old onions, and leftover meats. When the bag is full, it's soup time.

There is usually some kind of whole bird, be it cornish game hens, chicken, etc.

Then there is the seasonals. I still have a bag of pesto servings and two servings of tomato sauce from last summer.

There are always soups and stews. Right now I think there is one serving of Cincinnati Chile and a bag of servings of curry. These vary, but the meals are always there, ready not just to go for the two of us, but I can even entertain off of them, or bring a bowl of soup or stew to a shut-in friend.

I like to buy a lean pork loin and slice it thin, then freeze it. It is great for snitzels, stir fries, etc. That may be in there, or a pork tenderloin. The latter tend to come 2 to a package, so I open them, cut each in half, then freeze.

A pound of bacon. If I'm energetic on grocery day, I divide it and freeze it in thirds or quarters so I have a few slices when I need them in a dish.

There is usually some kind of ground meat.

And lord knows, there is tons of other kinds of "leftovers" and exotic ingredients that seemed like a good idea at the time and other stuff. But the above are the basics you'll most likely find in my freezer.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote