Frozen Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
What kind of frozen foods to you keep on stock in your freezer?

I keep assorted frozen vegies: peas, corn, cubed hash browns, stir fry vegies, homemade tomato products, and home-frozen packages of sauteed sliced mushrooms, chopped bags of onion, green onion, leek, celery, and peppers. I generally have boneless and bone in chicken breasts, leg quarters, and whole chickens. I always have a turkey and a boneless pork loin on hand. There's lots of venison and venison salami in their, assorted packages of sea-food, a couple packages of bass fillets, and ziplock bags of leftovers.
There are packages of bacon, ham hocks, and beef soup bones, and ziplocks of homemade chicken and turkey broths.
We also have puff pastry, phyllo dough, and pie crusts.

I haven't mentioned the bread yet...we always have an assortmen of breads and buns in the freezer.

WOW!!! Well, currently, frozen broccoli, peas, green beans, some chicken breasts, crispy chicken strips, ICE CREAM!!, and cream of wheat! my freezer sounds pretty empty compared to yours, Constance! I would never wonder what to cook if I had access to your freezer! How does your bread perform after having been frozen?

Bread freezes really well, Jen.

Why don't you come on over, and we'll see what we can cook? HB is good on the grill or deep-fryer, as well as being a great sous chef and dishwasher!

Broccoli, brussels sprouts (2), veg medley, won tons skins, dumplings, chicken breasts, ground beef, pork, white castle sliders, ice cream, shredded cheeses, eggplant parm, pizza, stir-fry asparagus, meatballs, stuffed shells, manicotti, breaded shrimp, egg rolls, chopped onions, perogies (potato & cheese, onion & potato), hot dogs, cinnamin rolls, Grands biscuits, orange juice, bagels. There's probably more, but I can't see the back of the freezer :LOL:

P.S. No room for ice cubes.

Yeah, Mish...I'm afraid to even contemplate what sort of stuff is lurking in the bottom of the deep freeze. Guess I'm going to have to get Jesse over here to take a dive and see what he can find.

The freezer in my new refrigerator of my dreams is on the bottom and pulls out like a drawer. You can see everything that's on the bottom, then pull another shelf out, and there's the ice and lots of little stuff.

Merry Christmas and Happy 59th Birthday to me!

Last edited:
Constance said:
Yeah, Mish...I'm afraid to even contemplate what sort of stuff is lurking in the bottom of the deep freeze. Guess I'm going to have to get Jesse over here to take a dive and see what he can find.

The freezer in my new refrigerator of my dreams is on the bottom and pulls out like a drawer. You can see everything that's on the bottom, then pull another shelf out, and there's the ice and lots of little stuff.

Merry Christmas and Happy 59th Birthday to me!
:LOL:

The bf thought it funny to tell his daughter how long my ice cream's been in there. Forgot about your new fridge. It sure looked pretty. Mine kind of groans in the middle of the night. :LOL: Time to go shopping, again.

Meat and bread mostly.
Bananas and zucchini that are ready for making in to bread
but.. I don't like frozen veggies so there are none in my freezer.

Meat, fruit that i picked from my garden last year, home made soup, home made curry & chilli
bread, lots of fish,

I know I have 5 turkeys and a lg spiral ham. Usually ful of venison but not this year and we really miss that. Ok lets see, about 25 qts of home grown corn,15 qts beets, 7 qts cabbage, 15 pts chopped green peppers. 8 pts. celery, 3 lbs brats, 2 qts kraut. 7 qts rhubarb,3 pks of cut up chicken, 1 lg corned beef, 2 cornish game hens,2 loaves of made bread and 1 pk (5 loaves) frozen bread. 1 gal. chili,3 pks of pork chops. 5 lbs of burger, bird suet, 4 ice packs,1 pk of pumpkin,1 pk of squash. Ok thats the freezer in the basement. frige freezer has 3 qt pail ice cream (vanilla), 2 pts strawberries,2 lb burger, 1 loaf banana bread, 1 pk of bluegills, 1 pk norhtern, 4 pk of cheese, 2 pk celery, 2pk peppers, 2 pk chopped onions, 1 pk casings for making sausage, 3 sm pk of sliced ham, 3 sm pks of sliced corned beef.1 loaf of frozen bread dough, 1 pk pork chops. 2 frozen orange juice and last 2 lbs pork sausage.

I always have frozen ravioli and veggies on hand. Usually there is some kind of meat - right now chicken breasts, a whole chicken (for soup) and a pot roast and two pork tenderloins i was too tired to cook. We always have ice cream and popsicles too. I keep some pizzas in there for my daughter and her friends. Oooh, and Jkath's chicken scampi is in there waiting to be cooked (yum!) as well as a chicken and dumpling bag from banquet. No wonder why everything falls out when I open the door!

Currently in the freezer are peas, edamame, berries, waffles, gardenburgers, muffins, brownies, ice cream, puff pastry, and pizza. There's probably other stuff I don't know about, or can't identify. I don't think we really use the freezer, yet its full and probably needs cleaning. Seems like I have less stuff that other people in mine.

I do have a lot of freezer space. The new fridge has a nice sized one, I have a deep-freeze in the carport outside the kitchen door, and Kim has a fridge in his garage (barn) that also has a decent sized freezer.
We ate a lot more when we had the boy here, so I'm trying to get things emptied out a little. Anytime I cook too much for Kim and I, my daughter, a working mother, is right down the road, happy to get a meal she doesn't have to cook.

Constance,I have about the same as you except I don't have as much venison. Mine is venison sausage, and several packages of it. You reminded me I need to cook my turkey soon. I usually keep all types of veggies, most frozen fruits, all types of meat, some fish. I need to use some blackberries too. I have a few breads, some when I made too much, some when I bought too much.

plenty of proteins, like a steak, lamb, a couple varieties of fish, some bread products, little else. i get lunch & then we cook at school & we have a bunch of restaurants by me so i only have some basics that i cook with.

I used to have a small chest freezer, but am now making do with the top-of-the-fridge freezer. I'm surprised that it has turned out OK, I thought that by now (almost five years living here) I haven't found the need for a bigger freezer.

I always have at least two bags of frozen veggies. Brocolli flowerettes as a minimum (something I eat several times a week with angel hair for lunch). Then I'll have bags of several other vegs. We are a childless couple, so I like bags rather than boxes so I can just reach in and grab an hand full.

There is usually a bag chicken breasts, and when the weather warms, there will always be a bag of wings as well.

There is always a bag of odds and ends ready to make stock/soup with. With two people, I often look in the veggie crisper drawer and find (for example) a bunch of celery that looks sad. I trim, wash it, and freeze. Ditto old onions, and leftover meats. When the bag is full, it's soup time.

There is usually some kind of whole bird, be it cornish game hens, chicken, etc.

Then there is the seasonals. I still have a bag of pesto servings and two servings of tomato sauce from last summer.

There are always soups and stews. Right now I think there is one serving of Cincinnati Chile and a bag of servings of curry. These vary, but the meals are always there, ready not just to go for the two of us, but I can even entertain off of them, or bring a bowl of soup or stew to a shut-in friend.

I like to buy a lean pork loin and slice it thin, then freeze it. It is great for snitzels, stir fries, etc. That may be in there, or a pork tenderloin. The latter tend to come 2 to a package, so I open them, cut each in half, then freeze.

A pound of bacon. If I'm energetic on grocery day, I divide it and freeze it in thirds or quarters so I have a few slices when I need them in a dish.

There is usually some kind of ground meat.

And lord knows, there is tons of other kinds of "leftovers" and exotic ingredients that seemed like a good idea at the time and other stuff. But the above are the basics you'll most likely find in my freezer.

Back
Top Bottom