Fryday Dinner - Nov 8/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Dratted children having a social life mess up my plans for elaborate meals! We've only got one child (possibly) joining us for dinner so we're going to have cod. Either battered and fried or if I'm feeling healthy, brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with parm before oven baking. We'll add some killer coleslaw and have some broccoli as our side veggie. I'm tired of potatoes as our starch, so I'll likely do some wild rice. Maybe I'll do a pilaf. Andy? You around? Where is your pilaf recipe?

Think my coleslaw is virtually carb free. I have one that is lemon juice and oil for dressing. The other one is not carb free, but is danged tasty! (Carbs taste GOOD!)

I'd love to have it Andy. I like to have a good variety of salad stuff ready to go.

SO's Low Carb Day #5 We're having breakfast for dinner today. We'll both have omelets and bacon. I'll also have some hash browns and maybe waffles or English muffins.

I am thawing a top sirloin steak as we speak. Plan to pan sear it to medium rare. (to cold for the grill) Maybe some mushrooms in wine sauce. Fried crispy, red skinned potatoes and garlic bread. Oh and I have some real nice asparagus too. Beauties ehh!!

Heres my dilemma. My wife will not eat medium or rare meat of any kind. So it is an issue every time I want steak or a beef roast.

I usually have to butterfly her steak so the cooking time is similar to mine, or I have to cut a large steak into two pieces and over cook hers. No matter how bad I kill hers, its just fine with her.
I must admit, it is a pain to do this each time we eat beef.
But because I love my wife, I will make hers anyway she wants. But I sure do wish she liked beef prepared the same way I do!

Anyone else have this problem? How do you handle well done vs rare?

I have not prepared a rib roast for over 20 years because of this.

Last edited:
Typical busy Friday here. Laundry, housecleaning and such, so I'm preparing an easy meal.

We'll have baked 4-cheese tortellini, Italian green beans, and since there's about half a loaf of French bread left in the fridge, I'll garlic it up. Iced tea to drink and more of yesterday's apple pie for dessert.

I am thawing a top sirloin steak as we speak. Plan to pan sear it to medium rare. (to cold for the grill) Maybe some mushrooms in wine sauce. Fried crispy, red skinned potatoes and garlic bread. Oh and I have some real nice asparagus too. Beauties ehh!!

Heres my dilemma. My wife will not eat medium or rare meat of any kind. So it is an issue every time I want steak or a beef roast.

I usually have to butterfly her steak so the cooking time is similar to mine, or I have to cut a large steak into two pieces and over cook hers. No matter how bad I kill hers, its just fine with her.
But because I love my wife, I will make hers anyway she wants. But I sure do wish she liked beef prepared the same way I do!

Fortunately I've never encountered that problem with any of my spouses. Although, I do prefer my beast quite rare. For my steaks, I just want the "moo" slapped out of it.

I suppose my dad had a similar dilemma as you because my mother liked her beef so well done you could shingle a roof with it. Daddy, on the other hand, liked it the way I do.

My dad finally gave up and just cooked all steaks to well done on the grill. Although the last time they had every one up for steaks something happened that I think needs a little more investigation. At my prodding he left the gas grill on high the entire time, he usually turns it down, and put all the steaks on at the same time. All the steaks cooked the same time with the grill only being opened once for flipping.
My wife, knowing how my parents cook steak, wanted the rarest she could find on the plater. Only one didn't have a good dark sear on the outside, hoping it was the rarest my wife chose that one. My mother, wanting a well done steak, took the darkest steak of the bunch. So my wife had a well done steak and my mother had the rarest steak of the night of which she only ate the edges, sigh.
I am thinking it has something to do with the hot spots of the grill since they all cooked the same amount of time. Anyone want to buy me a 100 or so good steaks so I can experiment until I get this process down?

Oh yeah, Stirling like his steaks/roasts well done and I like any where from blue to medium rare. I was once enjoying a very blue steak when someone said, "Quick, call the vet. I think we can save it." :LOL:

I'm still working out how to get them both right. I have been known to sear them both; take mine off the pan; turn down the heat and nearly finish Stirling's; then throw mine on to finish/reheat.

We recently discussed this. Harry Cobean gave instructions for a perfect cooked rare/medium rare steak.

...Heres my dilemma. My wife will not eat medium or rare meat of any kind. So it is an issue every time I want steak or a beef roast.

...Anyone else have this problem? How do you handle well done vs rare?

I have the same issue. I agree she deserves her meal prepared the way she likes it.

SO likes her burgers cooked through. No hint of pink. I use a pound of ground beef and divide it into two pattys - 10 Oz and 6 Oz. I shape hers thinner and toss them on the grill. 3.5 minutes per side. Mine's medium and her's is well done.

There is less of a difference when we have steak. She can live with medium while I like rare to med. rare. I take the bigger steak so it takes longer to cook and if I put them on the grill a minute or two apart, it comes out right.

When I cook any roast or meatloaf, It's understood she gets the end slices. I slice them a little thicker so she gets a decent portion. Beyond that, she is willing to put her portion in the microwave to completely destroy it just the way she likes it. OK by me.

This issue goes way beyond my SO. Everyone in my family has a host of food idiosyncrasies. It's practically impossible to navigate them all for a holiday dinner.

My daughter and SIL are polar opposites. She likes her meat RARE!! while he wants his medium well. I do my best. My other daughter doesn't like any fat on her meat so spends a lot of time trimming it off. As a result, I don't do prime rib when she is here. I do a tenderloin roast and everyone is happy.

One daughter loves ham the other hates it. One doesn't like any dessert that contains fruit. SIL doesn't like onions, peppers, mushrooms and a whole bunch of other stuff. I'm try really hard to expand my grandson's palate but I fear it's a losing battle.

I grumble about it but it's so much more important to have them all here with me that I deal with the rest.

I have the same problem as you do. For steaks, I bought a Napoleon City Grill. It's designed for indoor use. It sits on the stove top and I turn on the fan hood.
img_1317786_0_ce846c66b687aa226ae3eb2453923f32.png

The side furthest away from the plug doesn't get as hot as the side closest so I put hers on the cooler end a few minutes before I put mine on and have had great results.

As for prime rib, I cook it to M/R how I like it, then put Mrs D's slices in the gravy pot for a few minutes to finish them the way she likes it.

it's fabulous fat free(well,apart from a chug of evoo that is)fish stew friday.had my fill of creamy/cheesy sauces over the last few days,so it's back to the old regime.now't wrong with that.powerful flavours packing a punch of protein filled perfection...imho that is,of course:rolleyes:!!got some beautifully fresh cornish hake steaks,so fresh they were still bloody around the spinal cord.had all of the other ingredients knocking about in the cupboards & fridge so,off we jolly well go:spanish style cornish hake steak stew in a roasted red pepper,tomato & saffron sauce with butter beans & spanish black olives.finished off yesterday's cotes catalanes red....lightly chilled of course.right,that's all for a day or two folks.harry's heading off for a few days hard earned....:ermm::rolleyes:!! r & r,on the coast,with a chum.she's got a nice little place overlooking the seafront at lytham.ohhhh,i do like to be beside the sea side........

Attachments

• SPANISH FISH STEW 001.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 001.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 143
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 002.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 002.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 139
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 003.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 003.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 136
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 004.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 004.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 140
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 005.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 005.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 142
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 006.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 006.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 133
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 007.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 007.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 208
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 008.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 008.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 138
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 009.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 009.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 133
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 010.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 010.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 172
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 011.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 011.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 127
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 012.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 012.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 133
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 013.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 013.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 167
  • SPANISH FISH STEW 016.JPG
    SPANISH FISH STEW 016.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 187
Yummers. That looks good, Harry.
I think the next time I make cioppino I'm going to increase the amount of broth and throw in some beans. Great inspirational dish.

Oh yeah, Stirling like his steaks/roasts well done and I like any where from blue to medium rare.
We recently discussed this. Harry Cobean gave instructions for a perfect cooked rare/medium rare steak.
there ya go chaps.the thread that tax was referring too.if you work your way through the thread all shall be revealed.guaranteed to work or i'll eat my hat.medium rare of course:LOL:!!posts #9,#13 & #48 cover it!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/todays-menu-sat-11-2-13-whats-your-pleasure-87709.html

Yummers. That looks good, Harry.
I think the next time I make cioppino I'm going to increase the amount of broth and throw in some beans. Great inspirational dish.
cheers pac,appreciate that:chef:!! i'm back on the healthy stuff after a few creamy/cheesey meals this week.
only fat in the stew was a bit of evoo:angel:!.right,that's me mate,i'm off for a few days on the coast.hava good weekend y'all & play nice;)!!

Back
Top Bottom