Funky Friday Feast for Evening Meal 8/16/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Our evenings have been rather cool. So I think I am going to make the large pan of mac and cheese tonight. I will take one corner of it and pass the rest to Spike to take home. I absolutely have to make sure I put those tomatoes in it. I usually break them up right in the can, but I am going to me adding a smaller can along with the big one, so I will put them in a large bowl first. Then I use the juice with the milk for the béchamel sauce. The melted cheese helps bring the sauce back to near white again. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Addie that sounds wonderful! If Spike doesn't want it all you can send some down here! I haven't thought about dinner yet tonight. I might do some of the pork filets I have in the freezer with rice pilaf. The other option is our version of sweet and sour chicken in the crockpot with rice.

The plan is smoked ribs on the Weber, shrimp and avocado salad with mozzarella balls and a cold beer.

Don't know yet. I'm heading out to the farm for the weekend to harvest cucumbers, beans, sweet corn, and whatever else needs picking. I have some leftover stir-fry pork, but am leaving that for the intern. I do have some chicken thighs I might take out with me. I'm not taking my computer, so I'll have to update y'all when I get back Sunday or Monday. Nice to have a live-in chicken keeper who is also a registered vet tech and has studied birds.

I took some walleye out of the freezer, but that doesn't mean anything because I'm also going to be out and about shortly and I've been craving another prime cut of beef since that NY strip I had last week. Plus that store has babybacks on sale.
So I'm keeping my options open. It will be something with leftover mac and cheese.

Addie that sounds wonderful! If Spike doesn't want it all you can send some down here! I haven't thought about dinner yet tonight. I might do some of the pork filets I have in the freezer with rice pilaf. The other option is our version of sweet and sour chicken in the crockpot with rice.

Before I can even begin though, I have a job to do. I keep my big pan in the sink and toss all the dirty silverware in it. Well, I am now out of clean silverware and I need the pan for the macaroni. :angel:

Glenn's been reroofing the back of the house most of this week. That's no mean feat because the roof has a massive span.

At any rate his son, Kenneth, came by last light after his work and helped for several hours. We fed him, which is like filling a black hole.:rolleyes::LOL:

Kenneth says he's coming to help again tonight so...I'm ready.

I put a pork roast in the crock-pot with what promises to be an awesome rub. The rub recipe began with several heads of roasted garlic. Well, nothing wrong with that.

We'll have Glenn's favorite baked/sliced potato dish as one side and some sort of green veggie as another. Just took a pan of cornmeal yeast rolls of of the oven, which will be just about right to sop up the juice from the roast. Lots of cold iced tea and more of the blueberry pie I made yesterday for dessert.

Bribing Kenneth with pie was pretty easy.

Glenn's been reroofing the back of the house most of this week. That's no mean feat because the roof has a massive span.

At any rate his son, Kenneth, came by last light after his work and helped for several hours. We fed him, which is like filling a black hole.:rolleyes::LOL:

Kenneth says he's coming to help again tonight so...I'm ready.

I put a pork roast in the crock-pot with what promises to be an awesome rub. The rub recipe began with several heads of roasted garlic. Well, nothing wrong with that.

We'll have Glenn's favorite baked/sliced potato dish as one side and some sort of green veggie as another. Just took a pan of cornmeal yeast rolls of of the oven, which will be just about right to sop up the juice from the roast. Lots of cold iced tea and more of the blueberry pie I made yesterday for dessert.

Bribing Kenneth with pie was pretty easy.

Sounds yummy :yum: Have you posted the recipe for the cornmeal yeast rolls? That sounds especially yummy. I way overdid making yeast rolls after I discovered how to do the dough in the bread machine last Thanksgiving, but this is different! :LOL:

DH called earlier and his golf buddy is still out of town, which means we're going out to dinner. Last weekend was Mexican-inspired Tortilla West. I need to think of somewhere else to go this week. They do have those yummy margaritas, though.

Sounds yummy :yum: Have you posted the recipe for the cornmeal yeast rolls? That sounds especially yummy. I way overdid making yeast rolls after I discovered how to do the dough in the bread machine last Thanksgiving, but this is different! :LOL:

I don't think I have but can't really post the recipe openly because of copyright rules. However...check out the following:

CORNMEAL PAN ROLLS
(Makes 18 rolls)

2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
2 Tbsp. softened butter
1 egg, beaten

Throw it all in your bread machine and set on DOUGH cycle. When finished, shape into 18 rolls and put into a greased pan and set to rise in a warm, draft-free area for about 45 minutes. They should double in size. Bake in preheated 400F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and brush soft butter on tops of rolls.

I bought my bread machine in 1999 and it has never been used to actually make bread as it is designed to do. I use it exclusively to do the kneading and for the first rise of my bread products. I used to make bread the "old-fashioned" way but arthritis in both my hands put an end to that. So, now, my trusty bread machine is my best friend for those tasks.

Thanks :) I think it's great that you make all your own bread products. I need to do more of that. I should check out thrift shops for more baking pans.

I went to Costco, so I brought home a rotisserie chicken. The plan is to have that with fettuccine Alfredo using the fettuccine I have leftover from the last time I made fresh pasta and a salad.

Throw it all in your bread machine and set on DOUGH cycle. When finished, shape into 18 rolls and put into a greased pan and set to rise in a warm, draft-free area for about 45 minutes. They should double in size. Bake in preheated 400F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and brush soft butter on tops of rolls.

Question, if you want to use a stand mixer, For how long would you let it knead with the dough hooks? I'm never sure just how long to let the mixer do it's thing if I'm adapting a hand kneaded recipe.

Our dinner tonight may be take-out. I have a dental appointment this afternoon so I may be too emotionally drained to think of anything. I hate getting me teeth cleaned! Torture!!:mad:

My colleagues and I suffered through a day-long, painfully boring inservice, so DH and I will be going out for Thai tonight. Not that I needed an excuse....

I got off work in time to put a pot roast in the crockpot. Beer-braised pot roast it is, with some oven roasted potato's, broccoli. I may have time for a quick beer bread as well.

Ackk. I had my fishies swimming in the water to thaw and it just dawned on me I don't have eggs. No eggwash, no breaded perch (could've sworn they were walleye, but they were perch). So I just took a steak out to thaw. Hopefully I can muster up a couple spuds or something. And a salad will have to do for my greenage. I've been so lazy with my grocery shopping lately.

You could have just fried your fishies in butter, Pac, some Cajun seasoning, :yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom