"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, I have nothing against eating with my hands! Most food tastes better that way, and you won't cut your tongue licking your fingers.

GB, I had a neighbor once who worked in one of those "King Arthur" places. She had an excellent singing voice and was a serving wench. From the way she described the place it did sound like it would be a hoot.

Crewsk, haven't seen or heard of your experience, but it reminded me of a place in Sikeston, Missouri. It was sort of a Cracker Barrel type of place, with similar decor and food. The difference was the waiters and waitresses all made wisecracks (to an elderly gentleman and his wife: "And what will your daughter be having?") They also walked around the room with a basket of dinner rolls and would only throw them to you if you wanted more. Wish I could remember the name of the place - it was advertised on the highway for miles before you got there (The Home of Throwed Rolls").

Old 12-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
GB, I had a neighbor once who worked in one of those "King Arthur" places. She had an excellent singing voice and was a serving wench. From the way she described the place it did sound like it would be a hoot.
How funny. The reason i went was that the girl I was dating at the time had a friend who was a serving wench. She got us in for free. I had a great time calling her a wench (but only while we were there). She took it in great stride :)

Most of the food they served us was finger type food anyway. there wasn't anything like spaghetti or anything like that. I think there was chicken legs and other foods that you would normally eat with your hands. There was soup, but they served it in a very small bowl so it was almost like a cup. the salad was a very chunky salad and they gave you a small individual bowl of dressing so that you could dip the large pieces of veggies in the dressing.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

uh oh, we're finally seeing gb's dark side...
i love the scene in "cable guy" when they go to medevil times, and they act out the hand to hand fighting, humming the battle song from star trek.
when someone asks the serving wench for a fork, she says"there were no forks in medievil times, hence there are no forks here". then she offers them some pepsi... :roll: :)

the first place gb and ronjohn mentioned, with the food bar and handing the food to the cooks does sound like a mongolian restaurant i have been to, except you pay per bowl. it was ok, but not something i'd have very often.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
ronjohn55, is the gimmick of Bucca Di Beppa's that it is family style or is there more of a gimmick?
It's part of the gimmick. It's done up with all kinds of old clutter type photos and such. If I recall correctly, it's supposed to be done up like a basement or something. Some of the stuff is actually pretty funny.

One of the tables has a bust of the Pope on a lazy susan. You have to call about a month in advance to get a reservation at that table. There are also a couple of tables right IN in the kitchen. Kind of a crazy place.

http://www.bucadibeppo.com/

John
Old 12-21-2004, 02:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, a publicly held restaurant? is that very common, like with franchised places such as tgi fridays and it's ilk?

Old 12-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #16
Hospitality Queen

oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh! I love Buca di Beppo! Been to 4 so far. (there aren't that many around here) I've never had the "month in advance" problem - usually you can get reservations within a day or so, unless it's a weekend, then a week in advance. The food is northern italian, and it is fab. I recommend it to anyone, especially those with large parties, as all the food is in big bowls & on big platters. Their tiramisu is truly delectible. I've never had room after dinner for it, but have gone there for coffee & dessert, just to get the goodie. The photos on the wall are so tacky & tasteless, that it's funny...unless you bring your young sons! My husband took one son into the restroom, only to find photos of women in there...without clothing....
If you're new to the restaurant, they do lead you like schoolkids on a field trip through the kitchen (actually, next to) and the chefs wave. It's cute.
Best of all: excellent service!!!

As for others mentioned: Rain Forest: used to have decent food, now it tastes like Denny's....
Medieval Times: I abhor eating with my hands. Overpriced, interesting show, with medieval crap to purchase in the gift shop.

as for the fire & ice...please tell me they plate your food on a clean plate....
Old 12-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I think there is a restaurant down in Melbourne (pretty sure it is not in Sydney) where you eat in the dark. The idea being that without your eye-sight your other senses become hightened.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #18
Head Chef

Jkath, It's only the Pope-head table that has the wait list, AFAIK. We can usually just show up (Sheila and I) and get seated without much of a wait.

Buckytom, I think it's more common to be publicly traded with the chain type places, like Bennigans and such, but I think usually they're listed under a holding compnay name, so you won't likely see Ruby Tuesday's on the stock ticker.

john
Old 12-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #19
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
I think there is a restaurant down in Melbourne (pretty sure it is not in Sydney) where you eat in the dark. The idea being that without your eye-sight your other senses become hightened.
and what if there is a large bug on your plate?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

use a steak knife?