Going to be getting some "caviar" soon....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Talked to my neighbor behind me last week. He snagged a spoonbill paddlefish. The State of Oklahoma has started a project where they will process a spoonbill for you, and give you the meat, and if it's a female, the roe, processed into caviar. The State is doing this to help provide a source for scientific data on the spoonbill population. The meat is similar to shark (spoonbills are basically a prehistoric, freshwater filter-feeding shark). I've had the meat, but never the caviar. Hmm, I think I'm going to have fun with this!

I've always wanted to try caviar.
But I think I'll hold out for the "real thing" :LOL:

In all my years in "the biz", I've never had honest, Russian caviar from sturgeon. It's usually lumpfish roe, and occasionally flying fish roe (the bright orange stuff on sushi). Even with the stuff my neighbor is giving me, I probably shouldn't call it "caviar", but rather "spoonbill roe". Of course, now I'm going to need to get some buckwheat to make some blinis, and sour cream or creme friache. I may need to start searching out recipes in my files that call for it.

Last edited:
if it's spicy, i.c.'s been lurking. ;)

j/k.

allen, besides blinis or toast points, the other things that i've had that go great with caviar were plainly steamed young potatoes and sour cream, scrambled eggs, eggs benedict, and oysters.

Back
Top Bottom