Gong Hey Fat Choy, 1/28/17 What's Your Celebration Meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy happy!

I have a 3lb. corned beef in the Instant Pot. I never did one under pressure so got my fingers crossed. If it doesn't turn out good I will cry. It was $3.50/lb. Once it comes to pressure it should only take 90 minutes till tender. Then 3 minutes for the potatoes and cabbage. Wish me luck.

Happy whatever you said!

With all this talk about mushroom soup, I'm thinking it will be that. Got some lovely chicken/veg broth I made from various things yesterday, and I just squeezed it out. Should make a nice mushroom soup.

Last edited:
Gong Hey Fat Choy back atcha Kgirl!

In keeping with the theme, I'm making Asian Ramen Coleslaw. I haven't made it for years and I'll be adding some shredded chicken to the mix. Here's a recipe..I sprinkle the dry Ramen on the servings, rather than in the bowl.
http://www.food.com/recipe/asian-ramen-coleslaw-180352

I'm also hungry for Cream of Mushroom Soup, so I might make that too.

Last edited:
I have leftover lobster risotto from yesterday, so I'm going to try making arancini (fried rice balls) for the first time. I just watched Giada's video, so I think I'm ready! ;) Giada's Arancini di Riso Video : Food Network

I don't have any fresh, or aged, mozzarella, so I'll stuff them with some Havarti. I also have extra uncooked asparagus, so I'll roast that again (so good that way) and pan-sear a couple pork chops. I'm thinking I might do them with a Parmesan crust, to go with the Italian theme of the arancini :yum:

Happy New Year, K'girl! I'll plan on a Chinese meal for tomorrow :)

Cock-a-doodle doo! Happiness, prosperity and long life to you all.

We are making Beef and Broccoli, sorta- pretty much following a PPO recipe he filmed over on You tube a while ago. Also fried rice with bacon, peas and pea pods using an un-written recipe we've been making for over 45 years, (which varies, of course.) The only thing that makes it "our recipe" is including bacon.

Not very Chinese, but Saturday celebratory--For dessert we are having vanilla ice cream with home-made chocolate amaretto sauce.

PPO's beef and broccoli recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znr6GCxqQiM

We decided to do a precook meals for next week day, so we started sirloin flap meat to shred for Norman Van Aken's Vaca Frita with tropical tuber hash. The meat gets seared off and then gets cooked in what is basically a Spanish court bouillon until it's shreddable. I've wanted to try oxtail and there's a recipe for oxtail ragu with semolina gnocchi, so the ragu is also busily cooking.

With all that going on, we decided to make some inroads into the leftovers that seem to be overtaking the fridge.

Happy whatever you said!

With all this talk about mushroom soup, I'm thinking it will be that. Got some lovely chicken/veg broth I made from various things yesterday, and I just squeezed it out. Should make a nice mushroom soup.

Strangest thing. I made exactly two servings of mushroom soup! I usually cook enough for eight. This has never happened. DH was not happy, he went back for another serving, and there wasn't any left.

It was delicious!

Last edited:
Brought home some rib eyes. Will put the coat on and go outside to fire up the grill...mushroom skewers, steamed broccoli and carrots, salad greens with eggplant, artichokes and tomatoes...

Baked a whole chicken and a 9x13 pan of au gratin potatoes. We really liked the last pan of au gratin potatoes so this time I taught DS.

With that title I didn't realize it is tonight's dinner thread. We had lunch out with friends, and it's still reasonably warm here for January (32 F), so it was an easy dinner of burgers on the grill and oven fries.

After a long day of furniture shopping (yay, more furniture shoping... someone, kill me now) we went here for really great bbq: http://www.texassmokebbq.com/?section=home

We shared a 1/2 rack of their awesome ribs, pulled chicken, pulled pork, corn and bean salsa, garlic mashed spuds, and coleslaw.

In New England flap meat is called steak tips. Tropical tuber? Yams? Sweet potatoes?

Sweet potatoes, yuca, boniato. His success started in Key West. Flap meat here is very like skirt steak. It's also called churrasco.

Last edited:
Pressure cooker corned beef, potatoes and cabbage. With a side of shredded cabbage dressed with avocado oil, EVVO, red wine vinegar, Trader Joe's umami paste, salt, ground pepper and spices.

img_1497272_0_503a48a90786216582ef88fb35f22f7c.jpg

This picture is really washed out and I don't know why

img_1497272_1_30874ff8483e2adafe69711359fdb95a.jpg

I've told GF years ago to buy whatever she wants...I don't care what I fart on...

The last time I said that to my wife (buy whatever), she spent $4k on a coffee table, a side table, and a sideboard/tv stand.
She said it was all made in the USA, as I had requested if possible.

So now I go with her.

we had our monthly eating out, sp we went to this little pizzeria. Amazing pizzas, not oily or over cheesy, just a perfect balance and we all really enjoyed the meal.

I managed to eat 3/4 of a pizza and little one a little more then a half, which is rare for us and of course my husband at the rest and his own pizza. Yum.

Dinner was beans on toast for the kid and husband, I had a cheese sandwich, I was still stuffed.

Back
Top Bottom