Good Eats? Sat. June 27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a pasta salad along the lines of a Caprese salad, using all the ripe Everglades tomatoes we had. Also grilled some chicken thighs that were marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, S&P.:yum:

My dinner didn't work out as well as I had hoped. The plan was to make Greek baked shrimp - shrimp in individual casseroles topped with tomato sauce and feta. But DH forgot to get feta, so I used a mixture of bread crumbs and grated Parmesan for the topping. It was okay.

Then, with shredded zucchini left over from making bread, I made zucchini fritters. They were too wet and not very crispy. But the tzatziki sauce was excellent! And I liked the flavor. Need to work on these more.

...and I had a grilled romaine salad that was out of this world. I can usually figure out how they do things but I do not know how they marinated this...
Marinated? :huh: I did not know that. We've grilled romaine a couple of times. All I've done is drizzle olive oil over it before Himself slaps it on the grill. Some of the outer leaves get charred, but it's all good. For a dressing I just cut up a slice or two of bacon, toss the pieces on the lettuce, and use some of the pan drippings to make a dressing along with a gentle vinegar or some lemon juice, seasoning to taste, and pour that over. A chopped tomato, and it's ready to eat.

Now you'll have me hunting for marinated romaine lettuce! :LOL:

Happy Pizza Birthday, CG! Hope you're able to get your grilling done today.
Thanks, GG! Today's weather is worse than yesterday's - I'm wearing a sweatshirt, for pete's sake! :glare: If we can't grill tomorrow, I'm cooking this seafood inside.

...Then, with shredded zucchini left over from making bread, I made zucchini fritters. They were too wet and not very crispy...
Did you drain the zucchini? I watched Sara Moulton's show yesterday; she made sauteed zucchini. After she had shredded it she put it in a colander, tossed it with a bit of salt, and let it "weep" for about a half hour. Pressed it out, tossed it into the pan, and fried away. Very little liquid. ~~~ Now if you DID drain the zucchini, I got nothin'...

Marinated? :huh: I did not know that. We've grilled romaine a couple of times. All I've done is drizzle olive oil over it before Himself slaps it on the grill. Some of the outer leaves get charred, but it's all good. For a dressing I just cut up a slice or two of bacon, toss the pieces on the lettuce, and use some of the pan drippings to make a dressing along with a gentle vinegar or some lemon juice, seasoning to taste, and pour that over. A chopped tomato, and it's ready to eat.

I had the same thought. I've made grilled romaine the same way, but I just drizzle Italian dressing on mine after grilling; DH likes bleu cheese dressing on his. I first saw this idea was on 30-Minute Meals. Rachael grilled fresh tuna to go on top of the romaine and the dressing on top of that. :yum:

Last edited:
Thanks, GG! Today's weather is worse than yesterday's - I'm wearing a sweatshirt, for pete's sake! :glare: If we can't grill tomorrow, I'm cooking this seafood inside.

Did you drain the zucchini? I watched Sara Moulton's show yesterday; she made sauteed zucchini. After she had shredded it she put it in a colander, tossed it with a bit of salt, and let it "weep" for about a half hour. Pressed it out, tossed it into the pan, and fried away. Very little liquid. ~~~ Now if you DID drain the zucchini, I got nothin'...

I did, but not like that. The recipe I used said to squeeze the shredded zucchini with a kitchen towel, so I did that. It clearly didn't work, though. I'll try Sara's method next time. Thanks.

I did, but not like that. The recipe I used said to squeeze the shredded zucchini with a kitchen towel, so I did that. It clearly didn't work, though. I'll try Sara's method next time. Thanks.

I use the salting, weeping, and draining method for my cukes too. I also rinse them really well after they weep, and drain again.

I seed the zucchini, shred it, salt it and let it weep. (I do that with cucumbers too--seed them, regardless of the size of the seeds). Rinse and then I use my ricer to squeeze as much liquid out as possible, do that a couple of times. I toss the zucchini with a bit of flour before adding to the batter for the fritters. You can also add some cooked quinoa or another grain to the batter. The towel trick works, too, but since I have a ricer, I use that.

Last edited:

This was definitely marinated before cooking, not a dressing put on afterwards. Yours sounds awesome!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom