Good News!! Squid Ink Ice Cream Is Under Process!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blah

Assistant Cook
my mom got me the squid and all i have to do now is clean the squid, take the ink and mix it into my ice cream mix and churn it. its gonna take until tomorrow before i can taste it though. ill get back to you all after i do :)

it tastes just like vanilla :/ i mustve put too much vanilla or the ink is just weak

squid ink should have a fishy flavor, kinda like sardine paste, but not as strong. hmmm, it kinda sounds good with vanilla...

There's an oxymoron in here somewhere - squid ink ice cream/good news! lol Just kidding - you'll have to try again - sounds very interesting.

You are a brave brave soul...........I bow to your tastebuds............however mine are currently hovering in the corner avoiding the thought of squid ink icecream.......blah!!!:LOL:

I'm with mudbug "Why"?

SizzlininIN said:
You are a brave brave soul...........I bow to your tastebuds............however mine are currently hovering in the corner avoiding the thought of squid ink icecream.......blah!!!:LOL:

I'm with mudbug "Why"?

im guessing you dont watch iron chef... the theme was squid and one of them made squid ink ice cream and being the fan and experimenter that i am, i wanted to try it out :p the judge panel also liked the taste so that boosted my interest. my friends had the same reaction thinking theyll be poisoned or killed off so only my mom and i had the guts to try it. anyway, either something went wrong (as it always does when i experiment with food, i probably shouldve cooked it along with the base) or squid ink doesnt have much of its own taste (im leaning towards the latter since i tasted the ink by itself but could only taste my finger it was on). my mom also says its mostly made of water... i would think so... anyway i would eat the rest but it taste like vanilla and i dont like vanilla.

ps. i didnt think it was so weird :p

kleenex said:
Did the color look good???

yes, actually, it came out a nice blackish-grayish (not a sickly blackish-grayish, at least i dont think so) and sometime later i will take a picture of it

Yes I am a fan of that show also.....I love to watch them cook. Its just I'm not brave enought to try even a fourth of the things they create. My ex mother in law is japanese so I have tried a few strange things :) ..... well strange for my taste buds but hers was accustomed. I'm just amazed at some peoples williness to try all sorts of food. It just seems like most of my attempts at trying things I've never had before haven't been favorable so I'm a little taster shy with unfamiliar ingredients.

blah, you're so brave, good for you!

I have been wanting to make a spinach flavored ice cream but have yet to get a good reliable ice cream maker for the task. If you still feel like experimenting, you shoul try spinach and let me know how it turns out! :)

SizzlininIN said:
Yes I am a fan of that show also.....I love to watch them cook. Its just I'm not brave enought to try even a fourth of the things they create. My ex mother in law is japanese so I have tried a few strange things :) ..... well strange for my taste buds but hers was accustomed. I'm just amazed at some peoples williness to try all sorts of food. It just seems like most of my attempts at trying things I've never had before haven't been favorable so I'm a little taster shy with unfamiliar ingredients.

well... i was born in the philippines so squid isnt so scary... ive eaten some stranger things. in fact it suprised me that ppl thought it was weird

htc said:
blah, you're so brave, good for you!

I have been wanting to make a spinach flavored ice cream but have yet to get a good reliable ice cream maker for the task. If you still feel like experimenting, you shoul try spinach and let me know how it turns out! :)

i dont think you have to have like a hundered dollar ice cream maker to do that. mine cost me $20 :-p its not the best or most convenient but it works... as for spinach ice cream i would, but i dont like vegetables :-p

Thats about like me growing up having turtle soup or fried rabbit. Some of my friends can't believe I actually ate those things. Well i grew up on them..........we didn't have them all the time but a few times a year we did. Heck if they'd tasted my mothers cooking they would of loved it too. But my taste buds were accustomed to that ingredient so i didn't think it was weird when someone else brought up they'd eaten it.
I think its a matter of what our tastebuds are exposed to as we grow up. I think we can probably train them to grow accustomed to different ingredients......its just exposing them to it. I myself am not adventureous when it comes to constantly going outside the box. I applaud you for doing so. Please don't be discouraged to share with us the things you try. Some may not wish to try it or think the ingredient as odd but i do enjoy reading about others experiences. You can be our own Iron Chef Taste Tester.

squid ink isn't all that weird. i've used it to make (a very odd looking but tasty) paella, as well as a type of cioppino. both asian and mediterranean cultures use squid, and therefore squid ink, in many dishes.
btw, blah, i originally thought you might be irish. i know a proprietor of a b&b in co. mayo, ireland named blaha (sp?). it means little flower, or pretty flower in irish, or so i've been told.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom