"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

Both of my grandma's were good cooks. One of them made the best cinnamon sweet rolls. They were to die for. She used to make them Christmas morning. They made her house smell so good. My other grandma made the best caramel corn. She used to package our Christmas presents with small bags of her caramel corn. So, we got two presents in one!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

My sisters and I used to go visit the bad-spaghetti grandma out in southern California every Easter. In honor of our visit, she would always make the most wonderful sugar cookies - big around as the palm of your hand, chewy, and moist.

When I got older I begged her for her "secret" recipe, which turned out to be one from the side of the Domino's sugar bag. Never could get mine to turn out the way hers did.

She also had lemon trees in her back yard so we had wonderful lemonade. Gram's back yard is another smell to add to my list of faves.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #13
Master Chef

Mudbug,

Try this recipe it makes the best chewy, soft sugar cookies.

SC

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

Cream butter in a large bowl. Add sugar and continue to cream. Add egg and vanilla, beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately to mixture with milk. Chill. Roll dough on a floured board at least ¼ inch thick. Cut dough into desired shapes. Bake at 375º for 10-12 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned. Frost after cooled.

Frosting:

1 lb. powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup butter, softened

In a bowl combine all ingredients. Beat well until smooth and creamy. Scrape sides of the bowl often. It frosting is too stiff to spread easily beat in a few drops of milk.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

So noted, SC. Will try my hand at yours and see what happens.

p.s. this means I will have to take the dogs on longer and more frequent walks. won't they just hate that?!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #15

My grandmother and grandfather were the best cooks. I have never ever seen better. And they were always exquisitely consistent. Their bacon and eggs always looked the same and tasted --- perfect and lovely.

My grandmother's pies were always perfect. I have no clue how there was never any variations. Just always "perfect" -- even when they were in their 80's!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i really miss my grandmother's apple/cherry pie.
she also made an awesome apple/cranberry pie.
but for some reason her apple pie wasn't all that great.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #17
Sous Chef

My maternal grandmother is the only one I really know because my paternal grandmother died by the time I was 4.

My maternal grandmother was a horrible cook. She came from a well to do family and never had to learn how to cook. She married my grandfather and his mother did all the cooking and raised the children. She kept busy with her general store, meat market, and restaurant. The way I hear it from my aunties, she pretty much dropped the babies and went back to her businesses.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

That's pretty unusual from my experience, psiguyy. My mother-in-law also worked all the time, beginning in the 30s, but her husband (who died before I married into the family) was a great cook who bequeathed his expertise to his son. Fairly rare among the men I have come in contact with. (MIL happened to be a good cook tho as well.)
Old 09-28-2004, 05:21 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Well, mudbug, you haven't met anybody like my grandmother. She was one of the coldest people you could ever meet. She even played favorites.

Unusual lady. They finally retired to a farm where my grandfather happily raised hogs, ran a small slaughterhouse, raised honey bees, and planted carrots. When my grandfather died, my grandmother shut everything down and traveled for a year. She finally went back to the farm and made life miserable for most everybody else.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

too sad!