Greek this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you happen to have any pork loin? You can do this with chicken too but.. it's better with pork loin. I've also just cut a pork roast up into bite sized pieces.

Just marinate your chicken or pork in a mixture of

olive oil,
lemon juice
garlic ( lots of garlic)
oregano
and salt and pepper... either fry it up in a little more olive oil
or stab on to skewers and bbq. You can use the pieces of meat
on the pita bread or eat plain.

Greek Style Chicken with Rice

3 pounds chicken parts
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3 cups long-grain white rice
6 cups chicken stock

In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat and add chicken. Brown on all sides then remove
from pan and set aside.
Add onion and tomato and saute until onion turns translucent. Stir in oregano and lemon juice.
Add rice and stir well to combine and coat all grains of rice.
Add chicken stock, stir and return chicken to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer,
uncovered, until all surface liquid has been absorbed.
Cover, turn heat to very low and cook 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to keep rice from burning
or sticking.

Greek Chicken and Potatoes

Description:
Quick, inexpensive and LOW FAT!

While the recipe calls for thighs, I used boneless breasts!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
6 skinless chicken thighs
8 large garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
1&1/4 cups chicken stock
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced and seeds removed
About 3 large russet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, then cut in
half crosswise
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Heat oil in large nonstick or nonreactive skillet over medium-high heat.

Add chicken and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned.

Add chicken stock, lemon slices, and as many potato chunks as will fit in skillet and be completely covered with stock.

Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently, or until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.

Last edited:
Any time
all ya have to do is ask.

There's also a Greek chicken soup.. but I can't find my recipe.
I'll keep looking though.

This is what I ended up doing since I had all the stuff already. It was good. DH and the boys didn't like the smell of the feta:sick: :LOL: Didn't like the dill either. They made pitas with mozzerella and miracle whip.

it sounds like grrek didn't go over too well. dh liked the gyros but not nearly as much as the tamales I made last week. He likes the gyros from the little stands better than my hard work gyros, so next time we'll go out, rather than slave over food and dirty dishes.:-p

corazon90 said:
it sounds like grrek didn't go over too well. dh liked the gyros but not nearly as much as the tamales I made last week. He likes the gyros from the little stands better than my hard work gyros, so next time we'll go out, rather than slave over food and dirty dishes.:-p

Hey, he sounds like my husband. He's wanting tamales again. I told him that now he has to buy me a big steamer for my anniversary so that I can make a bunch and freeze them for whenever he wants them:mrgreen: I think that might have worked.

oh.. I'm so disappointed for you!!
Greek is wonderful! Those boys of yours don't know a good thing!

I"m sure I would have loved every bite of your dinners!

texasgirl said:
That's okay, pds. I had a wonderful lunch!!:mrgreen:
I liked mine too. I thought the lamb turned out well, dh liked it just not as much as the gyros stands, so I won't bother doing it again.

I made something like 40 tamales and they are all gone! I'll probably make some more in the next couple weeks, as soon as I get a proper steamer.:LOL: I told dh that if this is something I'm going to make regularly, I need the proper equipment, he said to go ahead and get what I need. I'll look around for a relatively cheap one this week. I just wonder where I will fit such a big pot in such a small kitchen with loaded cupboards? I really enjoyed making the tamales, so I don't mind doing it once a month or so. They really are convenient too, just pull them out of the freezer and heat them up! Then I grate some cheese over the top, delicious!

I'm with everyone who loves lamb. As a matter of fact, I'm often disappointed that lamb isn't as flavorful as it used to be. And I live in an area that raises lamb for meat. I swear I'm making a leg of lamb for Easter this year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom