Greg's own turkey topic -- because he took a left turn and did his turkey way diff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
So what did I do different and what did I do the same? This topic is about both.

The main different: I did my turkey Sous Vide, and I've been playing with my Sous Vide the last week doing turkey different ways.

First experiment: (about a week ago) Turkey thigh, bought on sale "today is the sell by date!" I bought 4 packages about 3# each for about $6 each, each of the thighs easily capable of feeding two people with normal appetites. Buck-50 a serving, not bad!

After a bit of research, I vacuum sealed one thigh and cooked it 3 hours at 150F. It seemed to me it was pretty good although maybe slightly rare, but I like rare so this would probably be rated as "too rare" by most but fine for me, maybe another 30 minutes next time.

Next experiment: Boneless turkey half-breast from Xmas 2012 (skin on), thawed it and bagged it. This time I salted and peppered it, and sprinkled it with poultry seasoning (and added 2 T butter). I did it in my Sous Vide for about 4 hours at 150F and I swear this came out exactly like you get at the deli counter at your local supermarket!

Tonight I cooked my turkey thigh (vacuum sealed, 1 T butter, salted, peppered, and a bit of poultry seasoning). Before I vacuum sealed it I ran it under the roaster for several minutes until the skin crisped, it appeared that I over-did it but in retrospect it came out fine. Again, the seasonings, sealed it, put it in at noon, took it out at 5. A mistake, I should have taken it out at 4. At 5 it came out almost exactly like I'm used to getting turkey from cooks who don't like dark meat and focus their efforts on making perfect white meat. It was a bit over-done, but I swear it was exactly like if I visited friends/relatives who love white meat and overcooked my thighs!!! (Little bit of humor here.)

So aside, I nuked some yams from a few nights ago. Made Cubbison's and realized that the only thing they bring to the picnic is cubed (or whatever) dried bread. My family recipe uses cubed bread, sauteed chopped onions and celery, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, a bit of chix broth to wet it. The only thing Cubbison's brought was me not needing fresh bread. Luckily it was a supermarket deal, $1.33/package. I faked the recipe with some stock from the last 3 experiments, +pepper, +salt, +poultry seasoning, etc. Didn't have any celery, too bad, so sad. Dressing needs celery!

I made a half recipe of French's green bean casserole, was fun to have this after so long. In all the on-the-package recipes this easily rates a #9 or #10, maybe #11 if I'm making a top 10 list and feel snarky against the Campbells/French's etc. corporate empire.

The cranberry sauce is easy. Get fresh, then follow the package recipe but reduce the sugar by 50 percent!

Well that's about my report. Sous Vide is a viable means of cooking one thigh or a half boneless turkey breast. I suggest about 3-1/2 hours for a thigh, and about 4 to 4-1/2 hours for a boneless half breast, either at 150F. You might benefit from a quick surface broil if your turkey piece has skin on. In all cases I added a bit of butter although the reason for that may not be supportable.

The connective tissue in the dark meat parts doesn't break down until 170 or so ( some people say 180). I like the texture of dark poultry cooked to a higher temp.

Have you sous vide cooked a breast?

I had a talk with a chef at a great local restaurant last week and he brought me into the kitchen and showed be their commercial sous vide set up and I am seriously intrigued

Jenny my OP described my successful experiment with Sous Vide turkey breast. I'm still eating on it, had a turkey breast sandwich (on a bagel) for dinner last night, if I blindfolded you, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my Sous Vide turkey breast and supermarket deli turkey breast. Particularly, I'm okay with a really big, sharp knife and can slice it almost as thin as them, the sandwich was perfect!

The turkey thigh 150F for 4 hours was a bit overcooked, perhaps a shorter time at 170F? Maybe I'll try that.

Tonight is my second run on beef short ribs. Last time it was 3 days 150F, salted + peppered & browned the short ribs first, added butter and ... fresh thyme? Lemon thyme? (Does that make sense?) Texture was great but taste was a bit off.

Tonight I just put in my second beef short ribs, same salt + pepper & browning, but I put a healthy amount of my favorite barbecue sauce (KC Masterpiece) in the bag before going in the Sous Vide at 150F. Today is Sunday so this is dinner for Wednesday, 72 hours minus a few from now, because I got focused on something else after dinner tonight and just realized, now 11 p.m., that the ribs had been sitting on the counter for about 5 hours and the Sous Vide at 150F for the same amount of time.

BTW it doesn't really get that hot on the outside so the insulation must be good. After a few days at 150F you can still hold hour hands on the outside for as long as you want and it feels warm but not uncomfortably warm. I wish I knew how much electricity it uses, I'll have to get one of them watt measuring thingies.

Anyway I've done almost the same BBQ short ribs of beef in a crock pot, with sauteed onions (which I didn't add this time, something for a future experiment) and I'm pretty sure I'll have a nice short ribs dinner on Wednesday night. I plan to put them under a broiler on high for a few minutes to finish them off before serving.

Anybody interested in the Sous Vide Supreme, list price is $500, available at Bed, Bath and Beyond, sign up on line and you can get a 20% off coupon via email good for on-line orders, brings the price to a reasonable $400. I get frequent emails from them (and everybody else) and have seen numerous offers of free shipping, although myself I get free shipping anyway because I have them sent to the BB&B store about 2 miles from home (free shipping to store). Note, not stocked at their stores, must special order.

And well worth it! Other than my Wolf oven and cooktop (don't ask what it cost) the Sous Vide was my best spent cooking gear money since I bought my Henckels full block knife set a dozen years ago.

Next up? Calphalon or Ironclad? I'll start another topic for that! :D

Last edited:
Interesting comments there PPT. I dug up this topic because I'm doing Xmas alone, just me and my dog, and decided to repeat the Sous Vide turkey. I had been thinking about doing a quick fry to finish it off and your recipe link helped me make up my mind.

As far as the Anova Sous Vide, the author of the video said it cost $299. Either I have a wax build up in my ears or he got a really bad deal and presuming you're right, shop around and get it for $199. (?) Even then I don't think it's a very good deal. My Sous Vide cost $400 and free shipping at Bed Bath & Beyond, and it's a whole enclosed Sous Vide unit INCLUDING a vacuum sealer!

I recall you saying a few months back you were getting or had got a SV? Did you? As far as mine, I average using mine almost weekly, but I'll use it a few times in a week then ignore it for a few weeks. I'm still perfectly pleased with it, particularly at the great BBB $400 deal using the coupon.

You need the 20% off coupon, you can get it online by joining their mailing list! I recall the online coupon can be used mail order, a great help if you don't have a nearby BBB, and I have seen intermittent free shipping offers in their advertising. Shipping is free to orders placed in-store (or maybe online shipped to a store too).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom