Grub's up 9/11/13 (11/9/13)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy birthday GQ! You shouldn't be cooking on your birthday though!

I'm still trying to shake the fuzzies out of my head. Freaking weather! I woke with a headache this morning and its currently snowing on us. I haven't decided on the dinner part of things yet. (Still need to determine how many I'm feeding) But I HAVE decided that there will be either saskatoon or rhubarb pie made today for our dessert.

I chuckled a little at taxlady's post. I often experiment but make sure that the dessert is amazing in case the experiment is not to our liking! Everyone loves dessert!

It's kind of a gray chilly day, so I'm thinking Pizza. Not just any pizza. Perhaps arrange some pepperonis at the bottom into a smiley face, some olives for eyes or... here's an idea. I suppose we're not meant to play with our food. who cares. :angel:

Attachments

• cat face pizza.jpg
    cat face pizza.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 244
It's kind of a gray chilly day, so I'm thinking Pizza. Not just any pizza. Perhaps arrange some pepperonis at the bottom into a smiley face, some olives for eyes or... here's an idea. I suppose we're not meant to play with our food. who cares. :angel:

Whadaya mean? PF and I have both said to play with your food, for a long time!

Cute pizza, Whisk!

I think I'll reheat last night's leftovers for dinner. I'll go to the store in a few hours and see what vegetable catches my eye.

I'm thinking of making cumin beef with broccoli, Chinese cucumber salad, and brown rice. I'll be experimenting with using ground beef, 'cause I have some that is thawed and I don't feel like velveting the the beef. The cucumber salad is a new recipe.

I'll try to get the energy to bake an apple pie, so we know for sure there is something that we'll like. :ermm:

Have you posted your Chinese cucumber salad recipe? I have a Japanese shrimp-cucumber salad recipe - would love to see if/how they're different.

Also, have you considered making an apple crostata instead of a pie? Much easier and just as tasty, imo. I'm making one today with apples from the farmer's market. Here's one recipe: Apple Crostatas Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Recipes : Food Network

Have you posted your Chinese cucumber salad recipe? I have a Japanese shrimp-cucumber salad recipe - would love to see if/how they're different.

Also, have you considered making an apple crostata instead of a pie? Much easier and just as tasty, imo. I'm making one today with apples from the farmer's market. Here's one recipe: Apple Crostatas Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Recipes : Food Network
I haven't tried making the Chinese cucumber salad. At a quick glance it looks a lot like the one Pac posted. It's here: Spicy Cucumber Salad

I shouldn't have written apple "pie". I'm planning on making http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/pear-tarte-77329.html#post1096293, but substituting apple halves. It tasted good with wedges.

Thanks, pac, that looks good. I like the chicken-asparagus stir-fry recipe, too. Since I keep my fresh ginger in a jar of sherry, I have ginger-flavored sherry I can use for additional flavor :yum:
Do you peel the ginger before you put it in the sherry? I keep meaning to do that with some ginger.

We bought some fish at the supermarket today and that's what's for dinner. Haddock for SO. She likes it baked. Swordfish for me. I'll probably grill or pan sear it.

Do you peel the ginger before you put it in the sherry? I keep meaning to do that with some ginger.

No. I used to peel it when I used it, but then I saw a discussion here about that and decided it wasn't necessary, since I use a Microplane to grate it finely.

No. I used to peel it when I used it, but then I saw a discussion here about that and decided it wasn't necessary, since I use a Microplane to grate it finely.
Cool. I was afraid the sherry wouldn't penetrate the ginger properly with the peel still on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom