Grub's up 9/11/13 (11/9/13)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[/QUOTE

Haha! Just scrolling through the channels (taking Pac's advise looking for inspirational cooking shows and this jumped out at me "I Hate My Butt". Lol! It's a real program. Maybe if I am going to eat cheese and bacon, I should watch!
Thanks Pac!

Did you see those double layer cheddar cheese fries topped with bacon and jalapenos? :pig: Heaven...

Four pound T-Bone on now :yum: It had me re-thinking my dinner plans :D

We're cleaning bitsies out of the fridge and having crepes. I've made the crepes, we have diced chicken, onions, ham, salami, two kinds of grated cheese, a smidgen of herb and garlic cream cheese and some lettuce and tomato. For the dessert crepes we have nutella, bananas, raspberries and hopefully some whipped cream.

Oh and we also have that saskatoon pie. Its pretty as a picture right now, but Ken has been drooling over the smell all afternoon so I suspect as soon as it is cool enough to cut, it will be inhaled!

I'm thinking of making cumin beef with broccoli, Chinese cucumber salad, and brown rice. I'll be experimenting with using ground beef, 'cause I have some that is thawed and I don't feel like velveting the the beef. The cucumber salad is a new recipe.

I'll try to get the energy to bake an apple pie, so we know for sure there is something that we'll like. :ermm:
I made garlic broccoli Broccoli with Garlic Recipe It was okay. I think steamed broccoli with garlic butter would have been as good for less effort. I made cumin beef with ground beef (experiment). It was tasty, but a bit dry. The cucumber salad was good, but far too salty. That may have been because I used an English cuke. It didn't give off much liquid. I wonder if a regular cuke would have given off a fair bit more liquid and washed away some of that salt.

No apple pie. I did a "mise-en-place" for the cumin beef. It was all on one plate, which hopped onto the floor. Had to do all the mincing again. Sort of drained me. I was trying to have everything ready, so I could just cook and then I had to rush and re-mince all that stuff. I'm glad I had enough ingredients that I didn't run out. I have had to put ginger on the shopping list.

I did chicken fricassee. Even though I did a lot of the prep work the night before, it was still ultra time-consuming and tedious. It was absolutely delicious, but I won't be making it again for a looooooong time!

Today is only the 10th. You post this on the 9th for Monday which is the 11th. Is there a reason we are skipping posting for the 10th? :angel:

Today is only the 10th. You post this on the 9th for Monday which is the 11th. Is there a reason we are skipping posting for the 10th? :angel:
The title of the thread has been changed to " Grub's up 9/11/13 (11/9/13)"

The date is written in European/Canadian format day/month/year and then in parentheses in US format month/day/year.

Personally I prefer YYYY-MM-DD, the date of the thread being 2013-11-09. (Or YYYY MMM DD - 2013 Nov 09)

Last edited:
I had a taste for garlic last night, too, so put some minced garlic in with the spinach while it was steaming along with a little olive oil.

We had baby spinach cooked with oil and garlic with our fish last night. It's really much better that way.

I love the shrinkage you get with spinach. I bought a huge tub of it. So much that I had to wash it in two shifts in the OXO salad spinner and probably should have done it in three.

Then it had to be packed to fit into a 4-quart sauce pan. After it cooked down there was enough for two servings. Each serving fit easily onto a small bowl.

I'm not a fan of the shrinkage. I bought regular spinach, not baby, and was actually taking some out of the pot and putting back into the bag. Then of course after it cooked I wish I had left it in.

Bit confused why my date was added to ....it was fine .

I know I joke about it but we can all understand the date whatever format is used can't we ? it is a global site so we should use the format the poster is comfortable with to embrace all nations surely ?

I think the problem is, it looks like last September's Dinner Thread.

How about 9, Nov 2013?

It depends who is looking at it though surely it doesn't look like September to me .

9th nov 2013 is of course fine, but as I say we can understand it can't we , it just takes a small brain adjustment as I do with the US dates ( and I do have a small brain ) .

Bit confused why my date was added to ....it was fine .

I know I joke about it but we can all understand the date whatever format is used can't we ? it is a global site so we should use the format the poster is comfortable with to embrace all nations surely ?
We can understand various date formats, if we have some hints, perhaps day of the week?

I've gotten so used to seeing the dates here in US format, that I thought an old dinner thread from September had been bumped, and English Canada uses the same format as the Brits. Any format that only uses groupings of one or two digits is ambiguous.

It depends who is looking at it though surely it doesn't look like September to me .

9th nov 2013 is of course fine, but as I say we can understand it can't we , it just takes a small brain adjustment as I do with the US dates ( and I do have a small brain ) .
But I can't make the adjustment until I see who started the thread and check where they live.

I think the problem is, it looks like last September's Dinner Thread.

How about 9, Nov 2013?

Yes. When I first saw it, I thought the same thing, and was totally confused.

The website rules do state that dates are to be posted MM/DD/YY. Written out works too, as PF stated, for European.

Last edited:
It's dead easy to see who posted and where they are from usually though isn't it , especially when the poster is a regular like little old me . Am happy to write it out in full though as in 9th nov 2013 . Not a problem .

I think the thing is, while the Internet may be international, this forum is American based, hence why you don't see a UK or AUS in the url.
I often search for a past dinner thread using the date. And switching formats to day then month does nothing to help matters.
There's a saying, "When in Rome..." It's only proper netiquette to adapt. That's why you also don't see recipes posted here in many of our members' native tongues. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom