"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Head Chef

Smile

Grumblebee's Bento of the Day really look nice. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Saturday.

Jill and Jolie

Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Contest Winner

Well its Monday... back to work! I made a trip to the asian grocery store this weekend and picked up a bunch of ingredients that I was running low on. While I was there I spotted this beautiful daifuku mochi cakes... (couldn't resist buying a few ) I had some yesterday and packed a couple in the bento today.

September 25th- Japanese Style Bento

Top tier- daifuku, ferrero rocher chocolate, baby carrots
Bottom tier- onigiri rice (one stuffed with crab and wasabi, the other with umeboshi) sprinkled with sesame seeds and covered with nori stars , steamed edamame, and mini babybel cheese
On the side- cup of peaches and pears in light syrup

Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Oh grumble, you make such perfectly shaped rice balls!! I love the little nori stars, do you have a template to cut them out?
Have you tried grilling the rice balls? Maybe it is better to be eaten immediately than for bentos, but it is quite tasty, brush a little soy sauce with melting cheese at the centre...yum!! give it a try if you ever make some extra rice balls!!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Oh grumble, you make such perfectly shaped rice balls!! I love the little nori stars, do you have a template to cut them out?
I use an onigiri mold... there is NO way I could get them shaped so well without it. (believe me, I've tried) Besides, the mold makes it easier to stuff the onigiri with yummy things, like fish, umeboshi, etc.

As for the nori stars, I bought them pre-cut. You can get all sorts of shaped nori for decorating rice, tamagoyaki and so forth. I've even seen Hello Kitty shaped nori cutouts! I've used scrapbooking paper punches to punch out shapes too though and that works just as well (and its cheaper too)
Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #15
Contest Winner

Sorry this is late posting... (although I'm not even sure if anyone looks at this thread... lol) This was my bento for today, September 26th.

Top tier: inside out california roll maki sushi (on its side), mackeral with spicy miso sauce
Bottom tier: pasta with spicy cod roe, carrot and cherry tomato, tofu dog "flowers", steamed edamame.

Tomorrows bento will probably be leftovers from dinner tonight. (curry and rice...) Who knows though.. maybe I'll be more inspired in the morning.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I do Miss Grumblebee, I look at your thread!

I want some bento boxes, I bought a very cute Indian Tiffin box which I'll use from next week. I am not organised this week and still using our cafeteria!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Well I am totally impressed at the wonderful selection of food you prepare for yourself! Do you cook for anyone else? If not, it is even more commendable and would make me hang my head in shame at what I, a Caterer, eats each day.

Last time I ate out of a Bento box was in Dubai a few months ago, hubby took a photo and, ummm, Id not show it to anyone. The box looks almost bigger than me!!

Good on ya Gee Bee!! And keep posting the wonderful combos you do for your Bento box!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Those presentations are beautiful, grumblebee!
I'll also admit I'd never even heard of a bento box until I opened this post!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:12 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Um, time for me to be thick: what's a bento box? They look just like tuppers to me.

Whatever they are, those are the most georgeous, appetite-whetting lunches I've seen in AGES. Good for you!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #20
Head Chef

GBee, this is such a cute thread! Thanks for sharing and please keep them coming!