Guy Fieri's Birthday Dinner - 1/22/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DW went for more dental stuff, so before I even got up, my boy decided to make dinner. Something soft for her to eat.

He ended up making breaded cod nuggets with a balsamic glaze, and paprika homefries.

It was really good. The boy can cook!

Next step: teaching him to clean up the disaster he left behind.

Bahaha! Next time make arrangements with the boy, I cook, you clean... he'll learn ;)

DH and I are trying to take off some poundage so we've been watching what we've been eating. Tonight was my version of Taco Salad

carna asada salad.jpg
[file photo-ate too fast]

... and sugar free jello with reddi-wip for dessert

001.jpg

Not sure what happened to the original post, but the important thing is to have a little fun with the dinner post. Look like CD is running with it.
CD has been most entertaining! I'm good for having fun. What I should have added was that I understand he is a wonderful family man, and that he does many things to help out charities and causes. But his on-screen persona is a bit overwhelming to me. For me, Fieri is best taken in small doses.

CD has been most entertaining! I'm good for having fun. What I should have added was that I understand he is a wonderful family man, and that he does many things to help out charities and causes. But his on-screen persona is a bit overwhelming to me. For me, Fieri is best taken in small doses.

I have no idea whether he is a good chef, or not. I'm sure he is better than I am. I do know that he made his millions as an entertainer, not a chef.

I enjoy watching him, as an entertainer. I don't think his "look" is going to work as he gets older. I think he will, at some point, need to reinvent himself to remain relevant.

Anthony Bourdain's birthday is in June, like mine. Something else we have in common, along with us both being a smarta$$.

CD

I enjoy watching him, as an entertainer. I don't think his "look" is going to work as he gets older. I think he will, at some point, need to reinvent himself to remain relevant.

CD
Child of the 80's..my old boss was like that..still wears mouse in his spiky hair and listens to Billy Idol...

I don't mind GF but I find his shtick gets a little tired. But, in his defense, he has to come up with a lot of material, so they all can't be winners...

Same as Bore-dain...too much of anything can get boring

As far as dinner goes, I fished the meat balls out of my left over Sunday sauce and made meat ball sandwiches, cucumber salad with yogurt dressing on mixed greens

Last edited:
Meee too!! The only "cooking show" left where they actually make several recipes per show is "The Kitchen" although they go over the top sometimes also. At least they actually cook!
Actually, during the daytime shows (till 2 pm EST) the hosts cook several dishes; they're just mostly not chefs. Same for Saturday and Sunday mornings. I think these shows are geared toward newer cooks, so not much is new to us experienced ones.

Guy's Ranch Cooking show on Sundays is fun - a group of his chef friends have a friendly competition cooking dishes at a really nice outdoor kitchen on his ranch. It's fun to watch.

https://www.eater.com/2017/11/6/16612328/guys-ranch-kitchen-food-network

Last edited:
I tried a new recipe for cashew chicken last night. Didn't like it much and had a bunch of frustrating moments (out of this, put that in at the wrong time, something fell out of the fridge when I was reaching for something else, argh). I was able to doctor it up and make it pretty good, but I won't use that recipe again.
0122182022.jpg

I'm just tired of food hosts as entertainers... I miss the days of food programs being educational.. :neutral:

Ross

The TV craze I can't wrap my head around is all the shows on channels like HGTV that are about people shopping for houses. Hey, why not a show about people doing laundry? Ooooo, FoodTV can do a show about people shopping for groceries in different stores. Kroger vs Albertson's. I'll set a DVR and make some popcorn to watch that... NOT.

CD

The TV craze I can't wrap my head around is all the shows on channels like HGTV that are about people shopping for houses. Hey, why not a show about people doing laundry? Ooooo, FoodTV can do a show about people shopping for groceries in different stores. Kroger vs Albertson's. I'll set a DVR and make some popcorn to watch that... NOT.

CD
Some watch cooking shows to get ideas and inspiration. Some think that actually cooking is about as exciting as doing laundry. Just look at all of the convenience food out there.

Some watch home shows to get ideas for their next home or remodeling project. For some it's just like window shopping - going shopping without the intention of buying anything, without wasting a realtor's time.

The Sears catalog was called the wish book. People would browse the catalog looking at things they couldn't afford to buy.

Triple "D" has given us many ideas based on dishes from many of the places featured.;)

Back
Top Bottom