"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
Senior Cook

The bloomin' onion that I attempted to cook this afternoon, didn't turn out like I expected. It wasn't crispy , the petals were limp. But hey I actually got the Outback Steakhouse Sauce for the bloomin' onion correct.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #42
Cupcake

We went out with friends to dinner tonight. The friends introduced us to a wonderful noodle house. A really yummy beef noodle soup was filling and delicious!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Happy anniversary Katie and Glenn! I have been hankering for some ham, I didn't want to buy a big ham for two people (and while I'm on the subject, why is ham so darn expensive) I digress.....I instead bought a couple of smoked ham hocks, and made 15 bean soup for dinner. Served with toasted crusty garlic bread. We really enjoyed it. This is a soup that we used to make every ski season and eat everyday for lunch on our ski holiday.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #44
Master Chef

Mmm 'Bunny, love me some bean soup. Any kind. I enjoy my Mom's recipe the most, but I'll happily use whatever package of bean combinations I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
....aberdeen angus double jarlsburg cheese burgers with crispy sweet smoked bacon,cukes,dill potato salad & crisps.ice cold beer colder than a witches teat...well it is hallowe'en
Lordy that looks good Harry! Unfortunately, each and every time I do burgers of most kinds on the stovetop I get my smoke detectors to screaming. At least I can grill turkey burgers. That's good, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
CG. I posted the Chicken and Stuffing casserole recipe
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole.......
Thanks so much! I have a few lonely burger buns in the freezer that I can use for the stuffing. I don't ever remember using the store bought stuffing mix, but dry bread works fine for me. IF we run out of leftovers before vacation I might make this; if not, for sure it's on the menu when we get back home.

Finished up making a tweaked version of this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup . Less butter, no heavy cream (used equal portions half&half and 1% milk), BUT instead of the broth/water combination I used 6 cups of homemade chicken stock. Got rid of a fair amount of mushrooms too. No shortage of flavor with this bowl!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-31 19.47.06.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	19338  
Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Harry, is cukes to you pickles to us?
Nice burgers. Piled high, just like I like them. Too bad about the memory card, but it could have been worse. It could have fallen onto your grill pan as you were cooking
wondered what the crunch was mate,my dentist will be delighted!!
yep,pickles.mrs elswood's pickled/sliced haimisha cucumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Nice plate Harry!
Do you have a recipe for that potato salad?
thanks aunty.dead simple pot salad.i use a firm/waxy salad spud like charlotte or carlingford.prefer carlings 'cos the skin just rubs off under a running tap.boil or steam til slightly undercooked.tip into a bowl & leave til just warm,cut any large spuds into quarter's,add mayo,salt,pepper & chopped dill(or dried,one of the few dried herbs i will use),mix it all up & leave,covered,for an hour or so,to let the flavours mingle.done!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm so used to you posting things that look healthy, so that one's a bit of a shock! And potato salad AND potato crisps?
We had Swedish Meatballs with peas & onions rolling around on the side.
"a little of what ya fancy does ya good"steve!!90% of what i cook is healthy which means i can "push the boat out" now & again without feeling too guilty(and without doing too much damage either i hope!!)
if i make it to vegas at xmas,you'll see harry eat!!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Lordy that looks good Harry! Unfortunately, each and every time I do burgers of most kinds on the stovetop I get my smoke detectors to screaming. At least I can grill turkey burgers. That's good, right?

Got rid of a fair amount of mushrooms too. No shortage of flavor with this bowl!
sure is good cg,the more smoke the better in my book.if you look at some of my griddle pics you can see the smoke coming off the pan.that's how you get them darn tasty bar marks.harry's top tip...i cover my kitchen smoke detector with a sock..don't forget to take it off afterwards tho'!!
tasty lookin' bowl of soup there cg!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
That's one AWESOME looking burger!
love it when i hear you yanks say "awesome"....having said that,there are only so many times you can here it in a tv programme....rick from "american restoration" please take note!!
'ang on,that's another damn good reason to spend xmas with steve kroll in vegas.....american restoration!!
thanks jessica!!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I think I'm good with shrimp for a while
nah,can't ever have too much shrimp mate!!
you can send that lot over with the brisket....looks deelish pac!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
love it when i hear you yanks say "awesome"....having said that,there are only so many times you can here it in a tv programme....rick from "american restoration" please take note!!
'ang on,that's another damn good reason to spend xmas with steve kroll in vegas.....american restoration!!
thanks jessica!!
Hey Now! I'm not a yank! I'm born and raised southern girl from the state of Georgia.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
Hey Now! I'm not a yank! I'm born and raised southern girl from the state of Georgia.
ooops,soz jessica!!

Tags
dinner