"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Your bean dish looks good Kayelle. I'll have to try Rock's recipe too. Bookmarked!

Himself and I split a couple things from a south coast eatery. We ordered a fish platter - something like five fillets plus a mountain of fresh french fries and a serving of coleslaw. To that we added an order of clams. An evil, breaded and fried dinner...and it was worth every calorie!
I was quite heavy handed with the herbs de Provence CG and it was sure something I'll do again. The mild flavored sausage added after it was browned made for a wonderful and easy meal.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Went to pick up the Kaffir lime tree and stopped for lunch at a popular Tex-Mex place. Since it is about 50 miles from home, Karen had never been there and I had only been there once before while working in the area. They put the normal chips and salsa on the table before we ordered. When our food showed up, the waitress asked if we wanted a "hotter" salsa and I said yes. She brought us a green salsa. Karen tried it and said it was really spicy. I ate the whole bowl and ended up taking a quart home. BTW, it wasn't really that hot, but it was really tasty.

We were both not very hungry at dinner time, so a rocket salad and store bought tortellini with a quick tomato sauce.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Wine Guy
Mrs. K and I went "old school" last night. It was our anniversary, but I had to work an evening wine competition in a small town about an hour away. She doesn't usually accompany me to these things but, being our anniversary, she decided to come along.

Just a few miles from our destination, we passed a place called the Lakeside Supper Club out in the middle of nowhere. Now I think the last time I ate at any place called a supper club was probably sometime back in the 1980s. So we thought why not, and turned the car around.

It turned out to be really good. I had deep fried shrimp - the kind you used to see in restaurants as part of a "fisherman's catch" dinner, a baked potato, and veggies. Turns out the restaurant grows all of its own vegetables in an adjoining garden. Mrs. K had pork chops, which were perfectly cooked.

When the waitress found out it was our anniversary, she offered up free dessert. We opted to split one piece carrot cake. It was just right.

Good stuff, and it made me feel a little nostalgic. There aren't a lot of places like that anymore.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac
Happy Anniversary Steve.

We had leftovers last night - Chinese food, rotisserie chicken, pizza and salad. Now we can start all over! The kids are finally eating what is put in front of them so that is a big step.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Master Chef
Happy anniversary, Steve. Sounds like a good dinner and a fun place, especially since the produce is locally grown right next door!

Kay...wow, that bean soup looks amazing!
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's a good recipe Rock, and out of the norm for my usual Mexican influenced bean/sausage dish. The flavors were wonderful.

I absolutely love bean dishes like that! It's the epitome of comfort food.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote