Happy Second Day of Summer! What's up 6/22/14?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Slow cooker lasagna here. What are you having?

Last edited:
SO and her sister are off visiting friends and eating a late lunch. I was instructed to fend for myself so I am defrosting some beef enchiladas for dinner.

Spent yesterday bumming around after buying a "new" car then this afternoon went for my pedicure for the summer so my toes don't scare anyone when I wear sandals. Picked up some brat burgers and will grill them. Open a can of beans and add some chips. Quick and easy.

Didn't get home from the stables until nearly 10pm so had a freezer dive. Came up with two home-made Staffordshire oatcakes. These aren't crisp like Scottish oatcakes. They're more like oatmeal pancakes made with yeast.

Defrosted them in the m/wave. Sweated a leek in butter and spread it on the first oatcake, grated some organic cheddar over the leeks and put the second oatcake on top. Whizzed them in the m/wave for a couple of minutes until hot and the cheese melted. Ate them :yum:

Followed with a baked bramley apple with brown sugar in the core. Was going to have yoghourt with it but remembered I'd eaten it yesterday and forgotten to make some more.

I'll be making tacos with some seasoned pork rib meat I cooked Friday. Maybe a sauté of bell peppers and onions on the side.

Last edited:
Chicken and dumplings

img_1370503_0_066cd0b7ec048819b6ec764cc5ad73d3.jpg

This was the first time I have made this and the family said it was great. Next time I think I will thicken the stock a bit.

msmofet, your chicken and dumplings look so good! :yum:

Steve....looks like a great outdoor meal on a hot afternoon! I love clubs.

Nothing too exciting here. Hot today and I'm tired, so all I wanted was something that didn't require a heat source. I ended up with a handful of raw fresh string beans, cherry tomatoes, and strawberries from the roadside stand, smoked gouda cheese and crackers, and a couple of Pecan Sandies. :)

MsM, that looks deeelish! You're such a fantastic cook, it's hard to believe this is your first run at it. There's something so satisfying about Chicken 'n Dumplin's!

We took dinner over to younger sons house and got to play with baby Cheyenne.
I made a huge meatloaf so they could have leftovers to take sandwiches for work. Son was SOO happy about that. We had twice baked potatoes and oven roasted asparagus too. Life is good.

Yum Steve and Ms M!

TB is having rotisserie chicken and I am having a black bean burrito with guacamole and salad.

Our nephew, who is a pilot for West Jet ( shameless plug) had a layover in Vancouver, today. We haven't seen him in 3 years so we jumped at the chance for a visit when he emailed us a few days ago. Since it was a beautiful day We picked him up in the convertible and drove to the little touristy fishing village of Steveston. We had a lovely day walking around, checking out the fresh seafood being sold right from the fishing boats, doing some people and scenery watching and then Had a nice visit over a couple of "cold ones" on the pub patio. Later we had dinner at one of the pier side restaurants. I had coconut encrusted halibut, DH had the salmon and nephew had prawn penne. Everything was very fresh and delicious
Sorry, I forgot the pics.

Bunny, I love Steveston. Last year for my birthday, my in-laws took TB and I down for the day and did much the same as you (except it was the beginning of October so the "cold ones" were hot chocolate!).

TB and I also like taking Violet there as they have a wonderful off-leash park right along the water, but far enough in that she can't get in the river itself.

I am glad you had a great day with your nephew.

Thank you all. They loved it so much no left overs! LOL

Prime rib, "smushed" new potatoes, stuffed baby bella caps, carrots and green beans.

Back
Top Bottom