Happy Upcoming Thanksgiving, Canada! Dinner 10/10/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
In order to free up freezer space, I defrosted last year's turkey, and it's currently roasting. There will be massive amounts of leftovers, and I have no idea what else we might have. Probably should scare up a vegetable.

What's up with you?

Thanks, Dawg!

We are having our dinner on Monday as our "guests" are TB's brother and Kay. He has his sons until Sunday and she is out with her brother Sunday so we decided to make it on the actual holiday.

I am making a turkey breast roast (though I will get a turkey leg for my BIL as he loves them!) with mashed potatoes, stuffing (gluten free bread cubes), gravy (also GF), homemade cranberry sauce, roasted root veggies with maple ginger glaze and broccoli. We will have berry crisp for dessert.

Even though it's two days early for Canadian Thanksgiving, we're having Canadian chicken cacciatore. I'm giving Ontarian Rocklobster's recipe a shot. If it's half as good as his pork medallions in mushroom cream sauce it will be a keeper.

I am cooking from the Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian. Am almost done with the Fresh Sicilian tomato sauce recipe, which makes about one gallon, and then will use some in Chicken Parmigiano with Tomato Cream Sauce.

I picked up a "large" container of Wendy's chili (I think it's a pint) for quick Taco Salads. Himself is off astronomy-ing right now and won't be home until around 10. I'll be making my salad soon, and prepping all of his so I can assemble it fresh when he gets home.

canadian-thanksgiving-turkey1.jpg

I am cooking from the Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian. Am almost done with the Fresh Sicilian tomato sauce recipe, which makes about one gallon, and then will use some in Chicken Parmigiano with Tomato Cream Sauce.

It's a great base sauce. We always make up a huge batch and freeze it in about 3-4 cup portions. We use it as a base for just about every red sauce we use, including the alla vodka sauce we used on the manicotti recently.

We had hamburger stroganoff. We were supposed to have pizzas but Craig was really tired after a job yesterday so change of plans. I actually remembered to make the no knead pizza dough from Bon Appetit Friday evening so it had to go into fridge for use today.

I'm not Canadian but in honor of our Canadian friends here, a virtual taste teaser….
Tortiere...wonderful Québécois Meat Pies

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving Celebration!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 10693303_1569730796580429_1846775216_a.jpg
    10693303_1569730796580429_1846775216_a.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Unknown-2 6.27.42 AM.jpeg
    Unknown-2 6.27.42 AM.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian friends! ?

We are going to a neighborhood potluck and I am bringing meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato topping :)

http://firstlookthencook.com/2011/11/02/meatloaf-cupcakes/

Ran out of energy, so went back to Plan A (it's a long story). I made albondigas (Mexican meatballs) in a homemade spicy tomato sauce.

Two other guests had brought meatballs, but mine were the only ones that were homemade. You could tell by the irregular shape ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm not Canadian but in honor of our Canadian friends here, a virtual taste teaser….
Tortiere...wonderful Québécois Meat Pies

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving Celebration!
Thanks, Mollyanne, good to see you here! I love tortierre and the last time I made it I did it in hand pies like this. I usually to a whole one but these were great! Love the leaves too!

Back
Top Bottom