"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Head Chef

Married for 33 yrs and we agreed way back no expensive gifts,
We would rather just have a regular day of showing that we appreciate each other.
But maybe a special dessert for supper.
My favorite bannana split bar. assorted ice cream, toppings, candies. bannana and other fruit and whip cream and asst nuts.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Pan seared scallops, lima beans (?? I know, but DH loves 'em), and a gorgeous apple triple dipped in caramel, chocolate, sprinkles, drizzles, etc. that the local Humane Society sells as a fundraiser this time of year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2539640469.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	13035

Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No Valentine for me, but I'm making fried salmon patties and creamed spinach.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i guess i'll be eating a lot of chocolate covered stuff, and have to give up something else for lent. edible arrangements will be getting a nasty email tomorrow.
I am confident that you can get rid of all that chocolate before the 22nd. I mean hey...that's a whole week right? I could do a LOT of damage in a week.

Dinner tonight is take out chinese. Big treat for me. I'm going to make brown sugar shortbread in my new pan for dessert. Treat for Ken.

I know lots of people complain about how commercial the day is blah blah blah. We've never really celebrated bunches because of its proximity to my birthday, but we've always made a point of telling one another how much we love each other. Its especially poignant this year when we've heard of so many marriages struggling and falling apart. To all of you in relationships, congratulations! Its sometimes a tough slog, but worth it all IMO. Hug your honey and remind them how special they are today.

Sending lots of love out to all my friends and family here at DC. Love you all so much!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

DH is teaching tonight so I'm home with the yungun. We had Mexican with tacos and nachos. We don't do much for Valentine's either. It was fun at school to see all these girls walking around with roses, teddy bears, and balloons! It's amazing anyone got a thing accomplished today!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Happy Birthday Mush!!!

It may not sound very romantic, but I had to work with what we had in the freezer, so I am making a big pot of beef stew. We both love it, so it will be perfect. Dessert is Cherry Jello (I told James to get whatever "red" flavor he wanted) with strawberries and blueberries in it.

It isn't quite ready, so we will be eating late, but what else is new?!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I had a stromboli at the local pizza shop. Great stuff!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I am confident that you can get rid of all that chocolate before the 22nd. I mean hey...that's a whole week right? I could do a LOT of damage in a week.

Dinner tonight is take out chinese. Big treat for me. I'm going to make brown sugar shortbread in my new pan for dessert. Treat for Ken.

I know lots of people complain about how commercial the day is blah blah blah. We've never really celebrated bunches because of its proximity to my birthday, but we've always made a point of telling one another how much we love each other. Its especially poignant this year when we've heard of so many marriages struggling and falling apart. To all of you in relationships, congratulations! Its sometimes a tough slog, but worth it all IMO. Hug your honey and remind them how special they are today.

Sending lots of love out to all my friends and family here at DC. Love you all so much!
Amen, Alix.

I was blessed to have 32 years with one of my most loving Valentines, Buck. But, then, he died and I had to go on.

Then.....there's Glenn. What a sweetheart! And I mean that in the most wonderful sense.

Our dinner? Whooooooo.....

Began with a light cocktail.
Then, shrimp appetizer followed by a mixed salad of artichokes, feta-stuffed olives, tomatoes, shredded hard cheese and "our" house dressing.

Main part of the meal included baked potatoes as each desired, steamed fresh asparagus with butter sauce, grilled ribeye steaks. Iced tea to drink. Too full for dessert.

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We don't much like going out on Valentines Day, since it usually means crowds and crappy service. I made steak Diane. I followed the instructions in the video here: How to make the sauce for steak Diane - Channel4 - 4Food. I cut DH's steak (filet mignon) in half. He likes his well done. I like mine rare or medium rare. I would rather have blue than well done or even medium. That worked really well. They cooked in about the same amount of time to our preferred levels of doneness. I think DH's may only have been medium. He said that it was less cooked than he usually likes, but it seemed perfect for this piece of meat and was definitely not undercooked.

I was kind of underwhelmed with the sauce. I think the mushrooms were the wrong kind. I used dried wild mushrooms and they sort of overwhelmed everything. It was a pretty good sauce, but nothing to write home about. I have had better luck with steak au poivre.

We had some double cream brie as an appetizer. Oh my, that cheese is fabulous. I could probably eat enough of that to explode.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Ham and cheese omelets with scratch made biscuits at our house tonight.

Tags
dinner