"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

happy valentines day all. my son sent me a dozen roses. they were here early am. he is such a thoughtful guy. he knows how lonely these holidays are for me. my beloved husband died 12 years in a violent death. i miss him more than u can know.

i had breakfast for dinner, i live alone and it is silly to make fancy for myself on a holiday.

babe

Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Happy Valentines Day!! I hope to grill steaks tonight, unless the wind picks up, Garlic roasted red potatoes/asparagus, shrimp in a spicy
lemon butter, and roasted garlic sour dough bread.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Head Chef

Thanks for all the Valentine's wishes. I wish I were going to be able to cook a nice dinner for my sweetheart, but I am leaving in a few minutes for the airport, where I'll fly north to Portland, OR to visit my daughter, who has been ill. It will be good to see her, but I will miss the sunshine and my DH.

Here in Mexico, Vantine's Day is much more than a day to exchange affection with your sweetheart. It is called El Dia de Amor y Amistad (day of love and friendship). Great idea! So people take extra steps to entertain their friends. To all of my DC friends, Feliz El Dia de Amor y Amistad!!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Wow everyone's dinners sound so good! Unfortunately both DH and I have cought our 4-year old's cold- excessive phleghm does not make for a romantic Valentine's Day. So just some nice chicken soup tonight and we'll go out to celebrate another day.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

I just got home a little while ago & now have two 2-pound Maine lobsters crawling around in the fridge - lol!! Will be serving them boiled with melted lemon butter & shoestring potatoes, with some commercial (Mrs. Smith's) frozen chocolate mousse for dessert, if we're not too full.

Husband surprised me last night with a dozen lovely long-stem orange roses (he knows I adore any color but red), so I've been enjoying those all day. He'll be getting a couple of books that I know he'll enjoy when he gets home from work later.

Happy V-Day to all!!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
Master Chef

Flourgirl, I hope your family's feeling better soon!

It was a non-celebration day here, too. I'm getting over the flu and can still only keep down dry cereal or oatmeal and DH is out of town. So dd and I celebrated by cracking open a new package of Imaginetrics (like Colorforms but thin magnets--great for toddlers!) to play with, and then I helped her make an English muffin pizza while I nursed a bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker View Post
Flourgirl, I hope your family's feeling better soon!

It was a non-celebration day here, too. I'm getting over the flu and can still only keep down dry cereal or oatmeal and DH is out of town. So dd and I celebrated by cracking open a new package of Imaginetrics (like Colorforms but thin magnets--great for toddlers!) to play with, and then I helped her make an English muffin pizza while I nursed a bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal.
I'm so sorry you and Flourgirl are sick today! I'm especially sorry because we all just got over the flu, too. I'm thinking ya'll deserve to celebrate Valentine's Day in about a week but for today, I hope you keep the oatmeal down.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

James wasn't home (still at school), so I made myself a burrito. We will have our Valentine's dinner Friday evening.

Barbara
Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #19
Executive Chef

dh was working today but to my surprise he had flowers delivered.
For dinner I took some chicken corn chowder out of the freezer and ate it with flour tortillas.

Sorry there are so many sickies. We just had a stomach flu marathon at my house too. I was lucky enough to stay well and take care of them all. Its not a 24 hour bug either, its been days of belly aches and then some (sounds like PA may have the same thing) We are on the recovering end of it though and hopefully you all will be soon too.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Thanks, LEFSE, for the beautiful Valentine greeting! Same back at ya! Hope everyone here at DC has a lovely day!!

"Happy Valentine's Day, All!!"
I have Aretha Franklin's peach cobbler baking in the oven right now. Sure hope she wasn't planning on having it tonight!
I watched Ms. Franklin make that on Emeril Live. It looked like heaven on earth, gad, that dessert would put me over the moon.......with happiness